Does the Rear O2 Sensor Effect the Air/Fuel Ratio; No, and Yes - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Does the Rear O2 Sensor Effect the Air/Fuel Ratio; No, and Yes

We all know that the front O2 is for fuel trim and the rear is for sensing the catalytic converter's condition. But the rear O2 sensor can effect the Air/Fuel mixture.

I've been trying to fix several CEL codes for the last week; P0132, P0135, P0138, P0141. They would come on shortly after clearing and in general indicate a problem with the O2 sensors or a lean condition. What made diagnosing this problem much simpler was having a wideband O2 gauge. What I was seeing was 17/1-18/1 ratios during idle and light cruising, but when floored it would go open loop and show 11/1-13/1 ratios.

Clearly it was not a mechanical problem since I was seeing the correct fuel under heavy load. First thing I did was replace the front O2 sensor, but this did not change anything. Checking temp sensors with the OBD2 reader also showed all numbers in spec, except the O2 voltage numbers seamed very slow to change.

I measured lots of sensor resistances and tried unhooking them one at a time then cleared the ECU to see how they effected the A/F. The solution came when I unhooked the rear O2 sensor, pulled power to clear the ECU again and started it up. The A/F settled down quickly to 14.7/1.

The rear O2 sensor can effect the A/F when it's heating element shorts or grounds out and stops the front O2 sensor's heating element from working. The front O2 then reads incorrectly and the closed loop goes lean.

Hope this can help someone else in the future. Took me 5 days to figure out.

edit: Thanks NeedForSwede
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ERP; 03-02-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Oh Yea,.
I had a similar problem several years ago with my 9-3
Took me a little while to figure out as I had no Wide-band

Good info Eric, hopefully it helps someone out in the future.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
WSW
Elder

Good info, as i had the p0133,p0130 codes and replaced with brand new bosch front o2 and still getting the CEL... Also gas mileage has been pretty shitty lately too

Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Just to clarify, open loop is when your car is under heavy load aka WOT, or when it's warming up from a cold start. Closed loop is when your car is under partial throttle (normal load driving) or when the car is warmed up at idle.

BTW, T7 suite has 2 ways of turning off the rear o2 sensor. I used one of those ways to turn mine off. Therefore, my afr's should be fine, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in