'01 9-3 Needs New Engine...Can I use?... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
SAABeginner

'01 9-3 Needs New Engine...Can I use?...

Hi, need an new engine (old one b205r) and see great deals on the next generation's engine B207R. Can I do this swap and save money (not to mention i'd get an engine with much lower mileage)?

I'm not a 'car guy' so i wont be insulted if you explain it to me like a 5 year old.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

The B207 is a GM Ecotec 4 cylinder, as GM pulled the plug on the "traditional" SAAB engine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Maybe you could, not sure really. Anything is possible as long as there is enough space in the engine bay, but with retrofitting things, it may be more costly. I would swap in a B204 or a B234, why bother with B207 garbage?
1995 900 SE Turbo

Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #4

If you want to save money and time, just stick with a motor from your generation.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #5

Def. too hard and not worth the effort.

I thought it would be could do the opposite: replace the ecotec engine in an SS with earlier trionic setup.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Thanks for the input so far! So that I'm clear, I can use the b204, b234 or b25 engine? If so, will I need a new computer or turbo as well?

Thanks. Again
Old 02-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
SAABeginner

Thanks for the input so far! So that I'm clear, I can use the b204, b234 or b25 engine? If so, will I need a new computer or turbo as well?

Thanks. Again
Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #8

Easiest solution is to get another b205 engine. A b235 will drop right in, but should have the computer flashed for the change in volume (displacement). Use of a b204 or b234 will require changing the cylinder head, and possibly timing cover depending what model the engine came from. Most important thing to consider here is your intentions for the car. Are you looking for a daily driver or do you want to build a monster? Also if you're paying a shop to do this, they'll probably be most inclined to use the exact engine that comes out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in