2001 9-3 Radio Locked - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
SAABeginner

2001 9-3 Radio Locked

I just bought my first Saab less than a week ago, a 2001 9-3 4 door hatch.

The radio was locked when I bought it, and the previous owner said he thought it needed to be taken to the dealer to get it fixed, but he's the type of guy that takes his car to a mechanic to change the light bulbs.

The radio comes on for about 15 seconds when I start the car, then says "Radio Locked" on the display and doesn't function after that.

After trolling a few forums I saw multiple references to just getting a radio code from a dealer and entering it manually. I called one dealer and they told me I needed to bring the car in with registration to prove I owned the car, and that they wouldn't give the code over the phone. I went to a different dealer today to get the code (because the one I phoned was rude and unhelpful) and was told that my model couldn't have the code entered manually, but needed to be hooked up to their computer and programmed. I was told it would take 45 minutes and 110 dollars.

I assume automatically that almost any dealer is lying to make a buck, but is it true that it's necessary to hook it up to their computer? If not, how do I go about getting the code and entering it?

I am currently trying leaving the key in the "on" position for an hour without starting it to bring up the enter code screen, I'll let you know if that works.

The PU# is 2134B
Serial: YS3278Y3055325
There's a number under the PU that I don't know what is for, but too much information is better than too little: 286-8759-43

Thank you for any help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.T. View Post
I went to a different dealer today to get the code (because the one I phoned was rude and unhelpful) and was told that my model couldn't have the code entered manually, but needed to be hooked up to their computer and programmed. I was told it would take 45 minutes and 110 dollars.

I assume automatically that almost any dealer is lying to make a buck, but is it true that it's necessary to hook it up to their computer? If not, how do I go about getting the code and entering it?
Yes and no.

Yes, the car does need to be hooked up to a computer(Tech II) to have the radio "Married" to the car. This only needs to be done if a radio is taken out of a car and put into another. Of course the transplant radio also must be divorced from the past car before it can be married to the new car, unless you have the info from the old car.

No, it doesn't take 45 minutes, and no way it should cost that much. I have a really nice indy that we go to who doesnt charge us at all for the service. But see if you can get an "in" with the actual workers in the shop, or politely make them an offer of 15 or 20 bucks to marry your radio.

Am sure more people will chime in, as well as correct anything I've just said.

Hope that helps.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
(Beat to the punch)

1999 and up Saab radio do not have a "code". Rather they are married to car via the Tech2 tool.

You need to find a dealer or indy shop with the tool to marry the radio to the car.

I would guess the local indy shop in Appleton Wisconsin would have charged 30 bucks or so.

Edit: Dan is right in that if the radio is not "divorced" from the previous car or have the VIN number from the previous car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650

Old 10-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
SAABeginner

So I let the car sit with the key in the "on" position for an hour, no enter code screen came up. I saw on other forums that the "band" button needed to be held down to get the screen to come up, that didn't work either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have an aftermarket head unit (Panasonic DEH-3900P) that I bought for my previous car, and have seen people saying that installing any aftermarket unit in the Saab is difficult. Any input on that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you guys for any help.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Say What? You do not have a Coded radio sir. You have a radio that is Married to the car. The radio might just need to be "married" to the car but I can assure you no Radio code is going to fix that. In the long run after you find out how much a New radio and or Associated hardware "TWICE" is going to cost "Lets Just say Probably more than you paid for the car" is going to cost, You will find an Aftermarket head unit just fine. Good luck, Go tell your incompetent dealer to hire some real Saab People. Edit. Dam way late to the punch

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 10-18-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Elder

Aftermarket head units are rather easy. 20 dollar radio fill kit from Genuine Saab and a wire harness and you are done. I like my steering wheel controls though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD

1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Thank you guys for your help. I was seeing kind of conflicting information on the code vs marriage radios. I'm going to call some indie shops around here and see if they can do it, but I'm probably going to end up putting my old aftermarket unit in. Thanks for the input, I'll definitely look in to getting a fill kit, I'll probably just wire it in myself if I put an aftermarket unit in.

Again, thank you for the information, I appreciate the help.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
There is no code for your radio. You need a tech 2 to marry it.

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonBeef View Post
Aftermarket head units are rather easy. 20 dollar radio fill kit from Genuine Saab and a wire harness and you are done. I like my steering wheel controls though.
Well, I'm going to go ahead and get the fill kit. I didn't get the wiring harness, I just clipped the wires and wired most of it in myself. The dash and rear deck speakers seem to work fine, but I'm getting nothing from the door speakers.. Any insight on that?

Have any of you put an aftermarket radio in the 9-3? Did you mount it on the bottom or top of the hole?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Well, I'm going to go ahead and get the fill kit. I didn't get the wiring harness, I just clipped the wires and wired most of it in myself. The dash and rear deck speakers seem to work fine, but I'm getting nothing from the door speakers.. Any insight on that?

Have any of you put an aftermarket radio in the 9-3? Did you mount it on the bottom or top of the hole?
We had the same issue with our 900, turned out we didnt have door speakers haha. Pop the cover off and look, then glue back on.

2006 Mazda 3 1.6L 104hp
Most Always Zipping Dangerously Along
Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #11
Elder

I hate when people clip the harness.

My last 9-3 had a clipped harness and a gheto/wrong wiring job. Pissed me off. 20 worth being able to pop a Saab HU back in.

The door speakers are on a separate amplifier and take some extra wiring to get them to work. Make sure they are actually there because only certain cars came with speakers behind the covers.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD

1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
SAABeginner

I didn't really want to clip the harness, I just wanted it done. It's wired correctly, and will be soldered once i figure out the door speaker situation. The clip's still there though, I only cut the ones I needed, and there's plenty of room to put the plug back on. I'm thinking it doesn't have door speakers since I can't find an amp anywhere.

Will it fit 6.5's?

EDIT: Just pulled the door panel, there aren't speakers in the doors. It would appear to need an adapter, do you know how much the adapter spaces it out? It looks like there's hardly any room in there for a speaker, and the 6.5s I have hit the window when it's rolled down.

Last edited by S.O.T.; 10-20-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Amp is mounted low on the passenger side of the center stack/console. If you have it, there will be a decent sized finned aluminum box. Since you went aftermarket, you can pull it out if its there. There is a 4 pin harness either plugged into that amp, or tied up about level with the heated seat switches on the passenger side on the front of the stack. You can tap this harness for the door speakers. The wiring should all be there, just have to hook up some speakers in the door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door speakers.jpg (302.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg amplocation.JPG (127.0 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by PimpMyPc; 10-20-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Will it fit 6.5's?

EDIT: Just pulled the door panel, there aren't speakers in the doors. It would appear to need an adapter, do you know how much the adapter spaces it out? It looks like there's hardly any room in there for a speaker, and the 6.5s I have hit the window when it's rolled down.
Yes, it will fit 6.5's. The cars that came with door speakers from the factory have them mounted in a big plastic frame that makes them stick out about an inch from the door. You can put a very deep speaker in if you have those, but you can get 6.5" speaker spacer rings from most car audio shops that will do about the same thing. I'd recommend getting a pair of those.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
SAABeginner

Thanks PC, I'll look but I doubt it's there, the doors aren't even wired for speakers. Going to have to get my own amp and run wires.

Thanks Jeremy, I'll look in to it.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Wires and everything were there on my base 3 door. Just have to get the amp and some speakers.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

start clippin the wires....and poisonbeef will kick your ass.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Old 10-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMyPc View Post
Wires and everything were there on my base 3 door. Just have to get the amp and some speakers.
Unless they're tucked in with the cluster that goes to the window motor and lock they're not there on mine.

I plan on running subs too, do you think I'll have an issue with powering the subs, 3.5s, 6.5s, and 6x9s? Perhaps a capacitor is in order?

For the subs I have dual Kicker C12s powered by a 1200 watt Xplod amp.
Probably going to end up with a 250 watt amp for the door speakers, and possibly push the 6x9s with that one too..
Old 08-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #19
SAABeginner

Smile radio lock

Hi has anyone worked a way round this radio locked saga yet. Mine was working fine then for no reason it now comes on then goes back of and says locked. It grieves me to pay a main dealer good money to fix some thing that wasn't broken in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in