Viggen transmission problem - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Viggen transmission problem

New to this saab net.

Just got a 2001 Viggen with a broken trans, wondering which would be a direct replacement. Is the regular 9-3 with a 2.0 the same type of trans? I got a few I can put my hands on. How about the 9-5-...I think the housing is bigger. Anyway, I need some hints here.

I live in Houston, Texas, not a "Saab Country" btw. I also own a 9-3 ARC automatic. Great car.

Thanks for your help guys.

Jaime
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Replace with the same type, it's rated for the torque and HP that engine is capable of, not to mention the fitment issues. If there is no damage to the case, look into repairing what you've got. Do you know if the diff failed, third gear failure, or what? How much do you plan on doing yourself? Hope you got that Viggen for a good price!
Let's see if we can help the new guy.

'00 VigVert- Nirvana
'00 9-3SE DD
2013 Silverado Z71 4WD

Last edited by bobg450; 05-20-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
To fit a std 9-3 gearbox you would have to downgrade axles to the base 9-3 also.

On rebuilt is it possible to swap parts around to make a std 9-3 box work with the vig diff it you have those spares.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs

Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
SAABeginner

Thanks for your answer Nick, I indeed apreciate it. I am a fan of your website.

After a bad first diagnostics, I got a second one with good news: The tranny wasn't that bad after all, so I will replace the clutch disc and pressure plate. My tech said will work fine. Because of budget limitations, I will use the Sachs kit. I have to do some work in this Viggen, then if I decide to keep it I will put some more money in an upgraded clutch set up. Have no plans for engine tricks, actually I like the Viggen just like it is.
Thanks a lot for your help. I know you are the best info source for Saab

Regards,

Jaime Tovar
Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Hi bobg450, and thanks for your reply to my tread.

I got the Vig certainly cheap. Trading my old 02 Ford Explorer wih several issues plus 500 bucks. However, I have been putting some cash on this project already....

I am use to that. This is my third Saab.

The Tranny is still good, so I will work on the clutch and yadda yadda

If things start coming right....I'll keep it, if not....Ebay-it!

Regards,

Jaime Tovar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
replace, swap, transmission, viggen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in