Fuel Cut - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Elder

Fuel Cut

So, I washed the car at school today and had to go to the grocery store so I hopped in the car and when with a friend. The car drives perfectly; no hesitations, hiccups, or CELs (yay!) so we park. I leave to go back to school and have this one straightaway where I like to give it the beans to give the car a workout. 1st gear pulls nice and then I floor it in second and it pulls right up to the redline but just as it shifts to 3rd, the power just drops completely. It was not an intercooler hose or a vacuum leak because it pulled perfectly right after but I am trying to figure out why it cut out.

-I am going to try new sparkplugs gapped to 0.35mm as per JZW's recommendation (the sparkplugs are practically brand new but were gapped to the factory .39mm.

-It was the first time I drove the car in a week and it was a relatively short drive, could that have anything to do with it?

-I have the other ECU with a slightly different tune, but again this is a recent occurance and really happened after the exhaust was fixed and I reset the ECU to get rid of the CEL.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? The fuel pump is only a couple years old but the DIC is most likely original (no leaking electrodes).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Elder

You could try cleaning your BPC
Old 03-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Usually bad plugs or gapped to wide will sputter/miss not cut fuel. Could be fluke as I have had that happen a few times when the car was not warm enough, only to boost back to normal when car was hot.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
You could try cleaning your BPC
Good point, I guess there is no harm in blowing that out to make sure it doesn't have any dirt build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Usually bad plugs or gapped to wide will sputter/miss not cut fuel. Could be fluke as I have had that happen a few times when the car was not warm enough, only to boost back to normal when car was hot.
I was wondering about this, because I got fuel cut twice the drive after I reset the ECU but then I took it for a 'spirited' highway sprint and I could not for the life of me get it to cut. I also did many long highway pulls on the 60 mile drive back to school last sunday and no issues to report of.

I have ordered new plugs, what would you recommend me gapping them to?

|
|
Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #5

I have this same issue. Highway its fine the thing that seems to make it happen is the rpms climbing at a really fast rate, highway pulls don't seem to make it happen

Only first and second gear try that and let me know. Let the car fully warm up, go wot in 1st and second see what happened then do highway
Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
Good point, I guess there is no harm in blowing that out to make sure it doesn't have any dirt build up.
Use carb cleaner or WD40 as well
Old 03-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9000aero View Post
I have this same issue. Highway its fine the thing that seems to make it happen is the rpms climbing at a really fast rate, highway pulls don't seem to make it happen

Only first and second gear try that and let me know. Let the car fully warm up, go wot in 1st and second see what happened then do highway
Hmmm, interesting to see you have that happen too. I am not too sure what is causing it because the first couple times, it happened around 5k in second but this time it happened around 5k right after shifting to 3rd WOT. But I thought it was weird because I did a lot of full throttle pulls in 3rd and 4th on the highway and never had any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
Use carb cleaner or WD40 as well
Alright, I will do that. Thanks for the advice.

|
|
Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #8

It always happens to me between 5k and 6k but only when the rpms. climbed there really fast
Old 03-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Wow! Lots of problems with these JZW tunes...good luck in solving your ongoing problems.

Dave

Old 03-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveship View Post
Wow! Lots of problems with these JZW tunes...good luck in solving your ongoing problems.

Dave

Hater ^
Old 03-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #11

Funny I did not see anyone mention sqr or daveship I'm this thread, you must have been following my posts, I'm flattered
Old 03-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #12

I'm actually running a differant tune right now, so that rules out tune. Nice try Daveshit, thanks for the positive reinforcement
Old 03-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

What the hell is a "differant tune"? Anxious to find out.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
Elder

stop being an asshole.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #15

I feel that trying to explain anything to you would be a waste of time, so let's not do this to this thread and keep it on topic.

Dave votes its the tune.
What else we got
Old 03-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i can personally vouch for Johns good work, sometimes hicups do happen, anybody who has done a large volume of cars can become subject to hardware failures on a small portion of them,, this isnt him doing poor work, its just dumb odds.

Christain, could you remind us of the mods to your car? so we know what we're looking at.

Mikes car cutting out is very odd, we were able to solve it (kinda) with a different tune, we used one from Jks holseted 9000 and it resolved it,, but it was also throwing a few errors in T5suite,,,, any tune that was "good" that i put on the car didnt want to run right, but that corrupted one didnt seam to care.... (sans stupidly rich cold starts, and horrible idle)
i still have yet to know Why the corrupted file worked fine, its under investigation.

i also tryed putting other maps, and Ecus in his car that i knew to "work" but that still had similar issues.

Dave, if you take issue with everybody elses tuning then you should spend the 25$ on a Bdm cable and do it yourself.. After you do it yourself youll be able to off constructive advise instead of cluttering up threads

moral of the story, none, but we need more info on whats going on

Last edited by mike d; 03-13-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #17

The only thong I can say is with the tune in my car now it runs like shit, and rich as help and am wondering if this tune stops the issue due to it being corrupt and if not for that the.hardware issue with my car would present it self. I'm not blaming anything as of yet.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
Elder

Here is my setup, I should have mentioned it earlier rather than assume I talk about my car enough haha.

-50# injectors
-T28 turbo
-JSP intercooler
-JSP 3" ss exhaust
-JZW tune
-New fuel pump
-New plugs
-All the other little things like intake, BOV, non power adders
-35,000 miles on the odo.

One thing to note: it has never had one hiccup for the year and a half I have run this very same tune on this ECU which is why I found it odd.

|
|
Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9000aero View Post
It always happens to me between 5k and 6k but only when the rpms. climbed there really fast
Interesting, I honestly have never had these fuel cuts before last week and it all of a sudden reared its ugly face after I reset the ECU to get rid of my o2. That makes me believe it is not hardware related because nothing changed on that end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveship View Post

Dave
I am trying to rule out all the basic possibilities, but the tune could be the culprit. I haven't had this problem before this past week and I cannot replicate the cut when I try but it pops up when I am not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
i can personally vouch for Johns good work, sometimes hicups do happen, anybody who has done a large volume of cars can become subject to hardware failures on a small portion of them,, this isnt him doing poor work, its just dumb odds.

Mikes car cutting out is very odd, we were able to solve it (kinda) with a different tune, we used one from Jks holseted 9000 and it resolved it,, but it was also throwing a few errors in T5suite,,,, any tune that was "good" that i put on the car didnt want to run right, but that corrupted one didnt seam to care.... (sans stupidly rich cold starts, and horrible idle)
i still have yet to know Why the corrupted file worked fine, its under investigation.

i also tryed putting other maps, and Ecus in his car that i knew to "work" but that still had similar issues.
I am almost positive that there is nothing hardware related because I have replaced almost every single thing on this car save for the drivetrain. However, I do have some issues:

-Very rich startups (even after brand new coolant temp sensor)
-No idling problems
-Around 2k in second gear when idling, the car makes a very slight bucking sensation as if I am tapping the gas to a beat. Anything below and it doesn't do this, anything above it doesn't do this.
-If you give it 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, it seems to surge; I give it a constant throttle input but it surges as if I give it more an more. There is fluttering involved when this surge occurs if I let off the gas, but no where else in terms of throttle input.
-I can feel a whole boat load of midrange but it tapers off in the top end; I want more top end because that is where the automatic likes to operate when you are WOT

|
|
Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
Elder

This may be a long shot, but heres something to ponder.

I assume nation wide as winter rolls around, all gas mixes are changed to preserver the gas for the winter with additives.

Winter is coming to an end and, going back to, perhaps, "cleaner" fuel. Just taking some time for the car to realize the difference and it got more power then it was excepting..

Gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
wife beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in