Head gasket? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Exclamation Head gasket?

Sadly my 9-3 may have a blown head gasket? It started on Christmas Eve when I was driving in the thru way. It started running really rough. I thought it was a bad plug or a bad DI cassette but I replaced the spark plugs (with NGK's) and checked the DI by running lead from the neg batt terminal. All passed the test. Then moved to the throttle body and checked to see if it went to limp home mode. But it didn't. Finally I checked compression and discovered that I am getting no compression on the fourth cylinder. Blown head gasket or....? Before this all this happened it was giving me a code saying the thermostat sensor was malfunctioning. It was during a cold snap and my gauge was stuck for a day after it warmed up the gauge began working fine and I cleared the code. it didn't come back so I figured it was just a fluke.
During my diagnostics I have had a couple of odd codes like crank sensor malfunction (p0340 and p1334). Which made me think it was the DI. I consistently get P0304 (misfire on cylinder 4). Which is why I borrowed my buddies compression test kit. All other cylinders get 120+ psi.
Any one else run into this?
No oil that I can see in the radiator fluid.
No white smoke.
No fuel odor on the 4 cylinder spark plug.
Cylinder moves up and down.
No compression.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Do you know if your crank-position-sensor has ever been replaced?

Although 0 compression in #4 is definitely a large problem.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
Hows the oil look? No oil in coolant or coolant in oil and the HG is not the root of this problem.

I have my bet on a cracked valve or bad piston rings on cylinder 4.

What is you location?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650

Old 12-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonBeef View Post
Hows the oil look? No oil in coolant or coolant in oil and the HG is not the root of this problem.

I have my bet on a cracked valve or bad piston rings on cylinder 4.

What is you location?
I am located in Upstate NY near Albany. I agree. The more I think of it..The more I come to the same conclusion. Bad rings. The oil looks okay. No compression is bad news, no doubt.
Now I need to determine what to do with the motor. I could rebuild it... or swap it out with a junk yard engine. What a shame. My old 900 NG got over 240K and is still running. Of course thats a non turbo 2.3. Do the 2.3's have a better track record over all? Will a 9-5/viggen motor fit i the 02 9-3?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer View Post
Do you know if your crank-position-sensor has ever been replaced?

Although 0 compression in #4 is definitely a large problem.
No I don't know if the crank position sensor has been replaced. I thought the old 9-3's dont have one?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Elder

OG 9-3s have a CPS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD

1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 12-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
SAABeginner

Thought it might not have had one must be the new 93's ...Could this be the cause of an engine failure on this level?
OR...Could this be the result of oil sludge?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
SAABeginner

Rebuild or new/used motor?

Has anyone rebuilt a '02 2.0 Turbo? Is it worth it? Im a little leery of a used motor because you never know if its been abused. Any advice? What Mods are best while rebuilding?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

I am looking for similar information except for a b235r...
Old 12-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
Elder

People have rebuilt plenty of these motors.

Are you willing to dig into this thing? Pull the head and take a look, It could just have a cracked valve and thats not as bad...

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD

1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 12-28-2009, 04:43 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Have You tried squirting some oil into the cylinder and then doing the compression test?

If compression goes up, that points to your rings. However at 0psi I'm not sure that would really help

The thing to do at this point would be a leak down test so that you can try to identify where your leak is. If you can't find a leak down tester you can always just hook compressed air up.

To do this make sure cyl 4 is at TDC and lock the engine there with a breaker bar on the crank bolt.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 12-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #12
SAABeginner

I am going to crack it open this afternoon and look at the valves. In the end I may have to end up taking it to a shop. I really wish I had the time to really roll up my sleeves and dig into it. But the more I look into it the more I realize that this could take a month or more of wrenching it in my garage. Best I can do at this point is diagnose it and hope the repair price is kind.
This will probably end up costing me a few grand. It will definitely hurt. Im so disappointed. I have been into saabs and owned one or more for over 15 years now and no real major problems have ever surfaced engine wise. This was the last thing I expected. Quirks and minor stuff aside the saab has always been reliable. What a week! : saab goes out of business and then my engine flakes out. GM can suck it.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
Elder

I know your pain, my car was doing great until it misplaced a few gears in the transmission last week.

Good luck.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD

1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 12-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

my ng900 was doing the similar stuff ... i dunno about the codes though ... i changed heads ... and when i had my other head on the bench i checked to see if it would hold compression(mine was in cylinder 1) by putting water on it to see if it was sealing properly .. it wasnt ... bad valve seat

you should be able to figure out whats going on onbce you get the head off

GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #15
SAABeginner

Well I checked it. I put a little oil in the cylinder and got no compression. So I decided to put just a little more in and got 3 PSI. I guess this a little good news all things considered.

I dropped it off at the shop after that. I hope to get a full diagnosis from this guys to confirm. If they quote me an astronomical number then I will take it back and try and do it my self on the evenings and weekends.

I will post the results from the shop and keep posting progress here. Maybe someone can gleam some information from this ordeal.

Im still wondering if this is engine sludge related.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #16
Erk
TSLMember

3 psi isn't much. Sounds like a valve. Sludge wouldn't kill a valve. I'm in the albany area as well. Perhaps I could help you with it
Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #17
SAABeginner

A blown head gasket causes oil, exhaust gas, or cooling water to get into the wrong place. Usually water in the oil is the most common. The oil will look like chocolate milk. Some engines leak cylinder pressure into the cooling system. This pressure boils away and/or blows out the water thru the overflow tank. Your temperature gauge will fluctuate up and down, from what little water that's left circulating past the temperature sensor. Also, if you lower your rpm, the pressure decreases and allows the water to circulate correctly.

__________________________________________________ _________________
APEX PARTS Cylinder Head Gasket, 1.6L Eng., Fel-Pro# 9683PT-1
Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
TSLMember

maybe a burnt valve by the sounds of it. I had it happen in my 99 9-3 with the B204
Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 AM   #19
SAABeginner

Its your coil pack. #4. Oil leaked into it prob. Either way change it. $50 takes 5 min... sorry for the 7 year later post lol. But this might help future people... not your head gasket. Syracuse NY
Old 05-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean21 View Post
Its your coil pack. #4. Oil leaked into it prob. Either way change it. $50 takes 5 min... sorry for the 7 year later post lol. But this might help future people... not your head gasket. Syracuse NY
I think they already narrowed it down to no compression, which leaves either a broken valve, bad rings, or a destroyed piston. Nothing to do with coil packs. This generation did not have individual coil packs, only a DIC which is basically one coil pack that covers all four cylinders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
p0304, p0340, p1334

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in