P1625, ABS, TCS, Brake! /!\ light show - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Elder

P1625, ABS, TCS, Brake! /!\ light show

Ladies and gents,

My 9-3 has been throwing a nice little light show for me lately. Started with the ABS, TCS, and BRAKE warning lights coming on and going back off within a few seconds. Everything else seemed okay. I had been driving through torrential rain when it first showed up, so I assumed maybe it was a fouled up wheelspeed sensor or something.

A week later, I got the ABS and BRAKE lights, along with the TCS OFF light. And the speedometer stopped working - dropped straight to zero, while my OBD-II scanner was still showing the speed fixed where it was - 88mph if you must know. It was a bit nerve-wracking, but TomTom knew how fast I was driving, and I didn't really care too much. Also, the problem would correct itself usually after driving for a while or letting the car sit for a while.

Finally, I got the same symptoms while driving, but also got a friendly CEL to go with it - the code is P1625, which I understand indicates a bus communications fail with the ABS/TCS module.

I'm guessing / hoping that the issue is an electrical problem in the wire bundle / connection to the ABS/TCS module - as the module seems to be rather pricey. To confirm this suspicion, I can sometimes get the trouble lights to clear by jiggling the wire bundle in the engine bay.

On a related/unrelated note, I've noticed that I sometime miss boost when the lights are on. This makes me sadface, and is the thing that motivates me to actually want to fix this

So how do you faithful Saabers fit in to this story? I'm glad you asked.

I could use some tips and/or pointers on troubleshooting and/or fixing this. Any wiring diagrams or other WIS-sourced information on that electrical system would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send the ABS Processor to this Guy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saab-...Q5fAccessories
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Elder

^ sweet, I'll definitely look into that if I can't figure out anything else. Beats replacing the whole module for sure.

Thanks.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Superwill00
Check your e-mail
Old 12-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
I sent the 9-5's abs module to BBA-Reman, great service, i sent it out on a monday got it back by friday. Fixed the light show

Old 12-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

FUCK THAT.... save yourself some money... take your ABS TCS module out of the car... smear some diode electric grease in all the spring loaded connections... there will be 12 of them in a car with TCS and 8 in a car without.... they are just not making a good connection... ran into twice before... something saab should have done from the factory...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by byastremski View Post
FUCK THAT.... save yourself some money... take your ABS TCS module out of the car... smear some diode electric grease in all the spring loaded connections... there will be 12 of them in a car with TCS and 8 in a car without.... they are just not making a good connection... ran into twice before... something saab should have done from the factory...
That was the sort of advice I was looking for - thank you!

I'm gonna pull it out tonight and see what I can make of it.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Elder

Well, I removed the ABS/TCS module, cleaned off what little dust and dirt I could see, smeared some di-electric grease on all the electrical connections, and reinstalled the module in the car. Went for a drive, and everything looked like it was working properly... until I started the car back up after parking for a few minutes.

ABS, TCS, and BRAKE warning lights are all back. Speedo is also dead again, and I am intermittently in limp home mode. And I still get that P1625 CEL every couple of starts. Looks like I will be sending it off to BBA next week.

:-/

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to AUPilot09
Yeah, but did you have to break off half an inch of ice to get INTO your car today?

Seriously, hope you can get that fixed man.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
Elder

An update on this...

I'm lazy and haven't sent off the unit yet. I bought a Tech 2 recently, so I plugged that up to see if I could get any further in troubleshooting.

The Tech 2 reports absolutely no (0) communication with the ABS controller. None. Zero. Can't even get into that system to see what is at fault.

Intermittently, everything does work - particularly after the car sits for about 12 hours. This morning, for instance. Speedo worked, no ABS or TCS warning lights. Everything's groovy. I figured I would take advantage of that (while everything was operational) and plugged in the Tech 2 this morning.... all my lights came back, and it showed the communication failure again.

I may be wrong, but the fact that there is zero communication with the system (plus the intermittent nature of the problem) makes me want to think it's a wiring / connection issue rather than a failed module.

I would hate to send the module off to be remanufactured and it still not work due to a wiring issue (shorted ground somewhere, perhaps?).

Thoughts? Further troubleshooting suggestions?

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to AUPilot09
I've been having a quite similar problem, and I heard tell it was a wheel speed sensor. Check engine light came on one time, then disappeared. But I've had the speedo go dead, ABS, TCS/ESP, BRAKE failures etc a few times. Usually restarting clears it for a while, but it mostly happens when it's fuggin cold outside. I'm assuming there's some similar systems between your car and mine. Maybe, maybe not.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
Ero

Codesplice what makes you think its the wireing problem rather than the computer itself. As you know I'm having the same exact issue, and i'd much rather fix the computer and be done with it than try to track down a loose wire
Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero View Post
Codesplice what makes you think its the wireing problem rather than the computer itself. As you know I'm having the same exact issue, and i'd much rather fix the computer and be done with it than try to track down a loose wire
Me too.

I'm pretty much shooting in the dark, but I would rather confirm that it is the computer before I pay money to have that remanufactured. The fact that it works sometimes and doesn't others is what makes me second-guess myself here. If the computer were actually fried, I don't think it would work at all.

Again, I'm not exactly a supersleuth mechanic, but I am learning a lot about the system as I try to track down each potential problem. So whether or not I'm going about this the right way, I'm learning - so I win.

I think I'm going to swap the ABS/TCS modules between my 9-3s this weekend and see if there's any change there.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
Ero

please let me know how it goes, as I'm of the same mindset, i'd rather not pay 55 bux if the computer is not the problem.

Incidentally, rather than BBA, you can look here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-...#ht_3912wt_998

much cheaper.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
the abs modules can definitly be intermittent.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
Ero

would you suggest getting it rebuilt anyway because if it's not at fault now it will be sooner or later?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
lms

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
Me too.

I'm pretty much shooting in the dark, but I would rather confirm that it is the computer before I pay money to have that remanufactured. The fact that it works sometimes and doesn't others is what makes me second-guess myself here. If the computer were actually fried, I don't think it would work at all.

Again, I'm not exactly a supersleuth mechanic, but I am learning a lot about the system as I try to track down each potential problem. So whether or not I'm going about this the right way, I'm learning - so I win.

I think I'm going to swap the ABS/TCS modules between my 9-3s this weekend and see if there's any change there.
Dont't forget to marry it to the car or the cel will never go away after the swap.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Dont't forget to marry it to the car or the cel will never go away after the swap.
*nod* Should be a good experience to get me more familiar with the workings of the Tech 2.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 05-28-2011, 02:31 AM   #19
SAABeginner

P1625 error is part of the solution coming from the engine wiring harness worn over time ABS-TCS-BRAKE lights illuminated the right side engine cover oynatınca cables into the passenger cabin lights turn off.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #20
SAABeginner

P1625 error is part of the solution coming from the engine wiring harness worn over time ABS-TCS-BRAKE lights illuminated the right side engine cover cables move the lamps will go out into the passenger cabin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in