P0420 Annoyance - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #21
Trollerator
Elder

does anyone have a link to the part# at NAPA or the SC thread? I can't seem to find any forum search on there anymore!?!?!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #22
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
sounds like a cat,, but if you want to take the easy way out, you can go into T7suite and adjust the limits on the second 02 so it will never come on...
Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #23
Trollerator
Elder

I hope it isn't the cat. I guess I might have to bring it to be diagnosed. it needs to be inspected soon and I need some tech II work done anyways (xenon light error code)

anyone know the size of the fouler adapter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #24
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=79649 (has a autozone part number)

SC search site: http://wiwya.com/

I can't find the thread too. That is where I got the part number for napa.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #25
Trollerator
Elder

thanks.

I talked to one of the best Saab techs in my area and he said that false alarm p0420 is a common issue with these cars (something about different metals mixing and not playing nice) and the wiring/ground needs to be fixed at the ECU. But not sure if this is my problem yet.

the car has 68K on it and the cat only 20K or so, so it is less likely to be the cat or o2 and more likely this issue, we think.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
Trollerator
Elder

Well that didn't fix it, I may have to try the anti-fouler thing. Is there any chance of the ecu needing adjustment, or this is definitely a hardware problem, yes?

Either a leak in the DP or the sensor is not positioned right, or going bad?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #27
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Put your stock downpipe on and the problem with the p0420 will go away. The stock cat was designed with tree huggers/The EPA in mind, the race cat with racing. To get the cat to flow a large amount of exhaust, they had to make the pores bigger and stick a lot less "junk" in the exhaust stream.

The cat is working, just it was not designed to scrub the exhaust to the same degree as the stock cat was.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #28
Trollerator
Elder

lol

The car is tuned so I need to run the 3" pipe, and I don't have the stock one anymore anyways. I need to figure out the problem

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #29

anti-fouler mod will work for sure.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #30
lms

This code came up on my viggen and all I did was replace the plugs and clear the code, but something tells me I got lucky. Get this and it will go away.
Universal o2 simulator single output [unv-o2sim1] - $40.00 : O2 Simulator, E-commerce
Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #31
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Add me to this list.
GS v2 DP with about 15,000 miles.
Put in brand new O2's when I installed it.

I used the non-foulers with my original MP DP and that worked.
I think I'll be turning it off in the software this time.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
I had this as well after about a year with the gs dp. I opted for the spark plug non-fouler mod as shown here: O2 Sensor modification using spark plug non-foulers I think there may be a thread on here too or on SC with the Napa part number.

It just takes the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream. (I think the flow thru the race cat is a bit too fast for the o2 sensor.... I think) It was a very tight fit to drill it out and fit the sensor head. But it works, no CEL. Cost was like $5, plus a drill bit.
I did this on my accord and it worked great. Someone told me it wouldn't work on T7 since the rear o2's were more "sophisticated" than on a mid 90's honda, but I guess they were wrong.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #33
TSLMember

I have run the non-fouler mod without a cat for over a year. No CEL. works great, and you can find them at any parts store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
wife beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in