A/C Comes On. Goes Off. Then Comes On for Rest of Trip (until next time) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
TSLMember

A/C Comes On. Goes Off. Then Comes On for Rest of Trip (until next time)

I need you all here. Any suggestion you provide me, I will bring to my service guy to see what he thinks. I traditionally go the Saab Dealership, however, for this A/C issue I have gone to a Mom and Pop place. And so far, after speaking to my Dealership serviceperson contact, he's going by the manual...but here it goes.

Okay. Here's the Situation (if I got you singing a little Jazzy Jeff, I did my job, otherwise...sorry):

About a few months ago the following started to happen and happens almost regualrly to this day.

I get in my car, I turn on the air conditioning to either 68 thru 74 (I live in Cali and if I get cold I just turn on the heated seats...but more often the A/C is my goto temp).

My A/C starts blowing (not as hard as she once did, but hey she' 80K and looking good at least). Then about 3 minutes go by, and then....everything stops. No peep from the motor, fan, temp, etc. You can start playing with the fan controls, temp controls, or anything else that adjusts climate and ain't nuttin' workin. But then... after about a minute to two minutes... A/C comes back on just like it started. Just like nothing had ever happened. And continues to work that way the rest of the trip.

This will happen again every day and every time I get back in the car, let's say on the way home from work... So here how the diagnosis has gone.

Took it to dealership. Dealerhip said likely Blower Motor Resitor and/or Blower motor = $980 or so = OUCH! However, dude said ain't nuttin gonna happen to your car if you don't deal with it. However, he did say, don't be surpirsed if at some point, the A/C never turns off long after you turn off the ignition. Thankfully, that has not happened yet.

Back to the diagnostics...

So then I went to Mom and Pop place and they shared the Dealer Service Dude's sentinment. They decided to change (and I agreed) the = $120 = Not Bad... however, didn't change anything (except made my wallet lighter).

Then I went for awhile seeing if I was ready to lay out the cashola for the A/C Blower Motor... went back to dealership and chatted it up with my main man. He said, "sound like it was the resistor; make sure they used the Resistor for the ACC."

Went back to Mom and Pop place, that guy said, he put in the right resistor and then offered me a solution... He said, "I'll replace your Blower Motor. I'll keep yours here. Drive it for a week. And if it doesn't solve the problem, no harm no foul, you don't have to spend a thing and if it does work out...I won't charge you labor." I called my dude at Saab Dealership... he said, "don't refuse that." So I took it.

So, this afternoon, I head back from eating lunch at costco ($1.65 gets you a Coke ane Kosher Dog). They say they're done... we start it up...minute and a half later...A/C falls asleep -- again, no nose, no response to turning fan on, changing temp etc. Then 2 minutes later, A/C wakes up like nuttin' wrong.

The service guy then checks the grounded wire thing (that someone offered up in one of these forums I believe I say). It passes that test. (not sure what I was talking about, but the service guy did).

I then go, "what about the Brushes?"... I saw that term in a similar thread. He then said, "naaaa."

He then gave me my key and sad, "I don't know what to tell ya." He then recomended some other places. He didn't charge me at all what was real cool. I then said, "what else could it be?"

He said, in a rambling manner, "coould be controller gone bad, wiring problem..." And then I said, I'm gonna throw something up on one of those chatrooms ( I mean Forums) I been hanging out on lately. He said, "good idea, let me know what you find out."

So.... here I am... I feel like this is some American Idol thing (btw. I don't watch American Idol... I did like that Kelly Clarkson Miss Independent song, I must say. I know. I know... That's what my g'friend says.)

Please help. I just need some ideas to back to the service people with...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Do you have ACC or the manual dials for your system?

When you say the A/C stops, do you mean the cabin blower motor stops working and then comes on again, or the actual A/C compressor that is connected to the serpentine belt.

If it is the cabin fan, does it exhibit these symptoms when the A/C is turned off (i.e. just in vent/econ mode)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Does the ACC display like it's off? Or does it still ahve AUTO, Temp or fan speed displayed?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
TSLMember

I have the ACC (not the manual) system.

With regard to svalvegrowl:

"When you say the A/C stops, do you mean the cabin blower motor stops working and then comes on again, or the actual A/C compressor that is connected to the serpentine belt." --->

I want to say the cabin blower stops working. I say that based on the lights and stuff appear as if the fan should be going higher and stuff should be going on, but nothing happens. No motor noise. No fan noise. I must say though, how would I know if the A/C Compressor was not working? What symptom would I be looking for. Sorry for not understanding the diff btwn A/C Compressor and Blower Motor.

As for having the symptoms with the A/C Off... I am not sure (I always use the A/C). I will check though. I can do this by as soon as I get the car, turn the A/C "auto" off and just turn on ECON or VENT, right?

With regard to srp:

"Does the ACC display like it's off? Or does it still ahve AUTO, Temp or fan speed displayed?" --->

The ACC displays like its working, but it isn't. That is, all the lights are on, but nothing is heard, moving, or anything. If I were a def person, I would simply go "wow, it looks like it should be working -- it says 68 degrees, but I'm not feeling anything." And to a person with no sight, he would say, "are you going to turn on the A/C or what, it's like an oven in here." To make a long story short, everything is displayed; just doesn't work.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
TSLMember

A/C Issue (Now the Climate Panel is doing weird things)

Okay. I just learned something new about my Climate Control Unit. I am posting a pic of what just surfaced today (this is the first time I noticed this).

Recall -- the issue with the A/C (as well as heat, as I checked that the other day and the same thing happens) is that it, if it is on, when I turn on the vehicle, it stays on for 2 or so mins, then it automatically shuts off for two mins (however what shuts down is what goes on behind the scene-- so the lights are on but nuttin hapenning). Then after another two minutes, everything back to normal.

One of the pic is what my climate panel looks like at night with just the door adjar and the interior light on. The other pic is what the climate panel looks like with me holding a flashlight pointed at the climate panel.

If you can't view the pic, basically, the row of buttons from and including the front defrost button, arrow pointing at chest button, arrow pointing at feet button, and rear defrog button -- all of these buttons are not lit.

Does this provide any evidence as to what is going wrong? Anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0304.JPG (11.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0305.JPG (18.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Thought I was the only one... my Viggen has done this since I bought it.

It's extremely irritating. My blower motor wouldn't turn on no matter what speed or setting for about 5 months, then miraculously, it fixed itself and now it works. However, the ACC still shuts off randomly (most of the time when it's cold out). It will shut off and turn back on (the display goes out too)... and then sometimes it just stays lit up with the number 0 there without blowing anything.

If you ever figure it out, please let me know . Of course, the Saab dealership said everything was fine when I brought it in under warranty. Riiiight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zingZACH; 11-10-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
TSLMember

From what i know, there is a ACC software update to fix this. My wifes 9-3 does this same thing and my research led me to needing new software. Havn;t doen it yet since we barely drive that car and i don;t go to dealers anymore. Hope this sheds some light on your problem.

\'02-9-3 SE-ex-wife took it

\'03-9-5 Aero Wagon
"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 11-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Yeah, take it to a place with a TechII, if there are any ACC codes they should be stored on the ACC computer. They can also update the ACC software if need be.

You can manually access the codes (if there are any) by pressing 'Auto' and 'Off' simultaneously as you start the engine.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
Yeah, take it to a place with a TechII, if there are any ACC codes they should be stored on the ACC computer. They can also update the ACC software if need be.

You can manually access the codes (if there are any) by pressing 'Auto' and 'Off' simultaneously as you start the engine.
Not necessarily the case... My cousin has a Tech II and the ACC checked out. Still does it nearly every day.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingZACH View Post
Thought I was the only one... my Viggen has done this since I bought it.

It's extremely irritating. My blower motor wouldn't turn on no matter what speed or setting for about 5 months, then miraculously, it fixed itself and now it works. However, the ACC still shuts off randomly (most of the time when it's cold out). It will shut off and turn back on (the display goes out too)... and then sometimes it just stays lit up with the number 0 there without blowing anything.

If you ever figure it out, please let me know . Of course, the Saab dealership said everything was fine when I brought it in under warranty. Riiiight.
I know your knowledge surpasses most Saab master techs but I'll give my experience for kicks:

My Viggen did this a few years ago, dealer replaced the ACC under warranty and it has been fixed ever since. They did the SID at the time too since there were pixels out

Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
I know your knowledge surpasses most Saab master techs but I'll give my experience for kicks:

My Viggen did this a few years ago, dealer replaced the ACC under warranty and it has been fixed ever since. They did the SID at the time too since there were pixels out
Also, swapped ACC and did not make a damn bit of difference (at least with the blower motor not working, I didn't give it enough time to see if it shut on or off).

No Saab tech has been able to figure it out yet... And 3 master techs have looked at it.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
Elder

Then I don't know what to tell ya

Old 11-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
TSLMember

I don't have much I can help with. The only input I can add is the alternator in my Viggen went out a couple months ago as I was driving. I was driving with the a/c on and I noticed the interior was getting warm. I looked down and noticed the ACC had turned off and would not respond to any inputs. It was still getting power, the display said "off", but would not turn on. When I replaced the alternator it started working again. I wonder if there is some voltage/grounding issue going on for you guys?

Last edited by Ohiosnaab; 11-10-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
sounds like it may be the ACC controller Pn 50 45 158 that's bolted on to the side of the evaporator ( not the fan speed resistor ) does the fan slowly die, like some ones turning it off slowly? but every thing says that its on. if the ACC panel, fan, and fan speed resistor have been rule out i would look it to this
Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingZACH View Post
No Saab tech has been able to figure it out yet... And 3 master techs have looked at it.
were you paying them? if not i think i know why its not fixed
Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgeebee88 View Post
were you paying them? if not i think i know why its not fixed
1 yes, 2 were cousins of mine.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #17
TSLMember

This ACC Issue On then Off then On

Since i last left nothing has changed...

swapped out 2 ACC's and still it decides to stop doing anything but visiually all the lights are on as if the climate functionality is working. So my tech guy gave me something to try but I am not so sure how to exactly how to do this.

He says to tap into the wires at the blower (under the hood/ wiper area) -- says there should be a pos and neg wire. he said then to hook those up to a light and see if the light goes on. He then says to do the same thing with the same two wires under the dash (after the resistor)...

anybody have any idea what this is suppose to prove... or what it means if the lightbulb in either case goes on or off?

I feel like i have been dealing with this issue for yeeeeaarrrs.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

I try to be more specific then your Tech. If you have time (most of us do not have much spare time) build a little circuit with 6 (or more) LED's, They need a resistor of about 500 Ohm on the positive leg, if 12V is what you are checking. Build the circuit so 3 need 12 V to light up, connect the other 3 so they need ground to light up. Hook one up to incoming power to the ACC, next one to "incoming" ground to the ACC. Then check the wiring schematic and see what the ACC sends to the fan, power or ground. Hook up the LED accordingly so you can tell if the ACC sends power or ground to the fan resistor. Mark the LED:s PI PG, (Power In, Ground In) or whatever you feel like. First you look at the LED's at normal operation and remember which are lit up and which is not. When the ACC goes out or the fan goes out, you look at the LED and and write up which is not lit up compared to before. The power in and ground in, should of course always be on, and if any of this 2 are out when your ACC stops working you know you a have a bad power feed or a bad ground. You need a schematic, and if you feel that electricity is not your thing, I might have the time to help to build the LED thing, and check to see if I have the right Schematic in WIS. (my computer crashed so I have to install WIS again) And tell you what wires to hook up this LED thing to. This is going to take time of course, but you been fighting with this for years anyway, you say. By doing this you get clue's of what is going on, or sometime's even a clear indication exactly what's wrong. So after hooking up the first 6 LED's, and that doesn't give any clue, you continue to hook it up to 6 other spot's. Sooner or later you will have enough clue's to nail it. At least this problem is there for you all the time, it's even worse to find when it's completely randomly.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

As an example, the signal wire to the A/C clutch realy passes thru Motronic, and at kickdown on the gaspedal, that A/C clutch relay signal is shut off by Motronic, likewise when Motronic thinks engine temp is to high, and other sircumstances to. There are so many signals that can shut A/C off, and a lot of them goe's to your ACC unit, and all of them has to be checked.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-anders View Post
As an example, the signal wire to the A/C clutch realy passes thru Motronic, and at kickdown on the gaspedal, that A/C clutch relay signal is shut off by Motronic, likewise when Motronic thinks engine temp is to high, and other sircumstances to. There are so many signals that can shut A/C off, and a lot of them goe's to your ACC unit, and all of them has to be checked.
I am so thankful for the time you spent addressing my issue but... you have confused me. It's me not you. I've read and re-read your response and I keep thinking of Curly from the Stooges -- " I'm trying to think but nothing happens ".

If you dumb it down for me that would be great -- but I gurantee I''ll get. No sweat if you can't though.

One thing I have been advised to do is change the "blower control unit" -- that thingy located behind the black box-ish thing in the PS kickpanel.

However, I must tell you in fiddling with things, I no longer have a display on my ACC. If I told you how I did it, you wouldn't believe it. Soooo, now I judge the temp by feel. Not so sure I'll be able to distinguish econ and vents -- though I never really understood them to begin with.

I love my saab but I just hate it sometimes too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
a/c, blower, electrical, grounded, resistor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in