Left sunroof open in downpour - now problems :( - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #1
TSLMember

Left sunroof open in downpour - now problems :(

Like an idiot I left my sunroof (2000, 9-3) open during an all night rain storm. The water must have caused some electrical problems because now when I turn my car off, the ignition "thinks" the key is in the still in the ignition and the radio stays on, I can't use my remote key to lock/unlock car, etc.

The worst part is I can't lock my car when I leave. Is their anyway to lock my Saab manually (even though it thinks the key is in the ignition?) I tried locking it manually with key in doorlock, but it wouldn't budge.

More importantly - can anyone give me an idea of how big of a problem this might be? I'm just want to brace myself for $$ when I bring it in to be repaired to my local dealership.

thanks!!

Spy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Elder

Does the ignition cylinder pop up when you take out the key?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Our cars are 'smart' enough to not allow you to lock it when the key is in the car. So as long as it thinks the key is in there, it won't lock.

Luckily, the radio will shut itself off after 30 minutes (I think that's how long).

Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
I bet your TWICE module is under water and fried. I know on the 9-5's it is under the drivers seat. I think that its in the same spot on a 9-3 as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 06-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
TSLMember

Dan-the-Kid, No I don't think it pops up. Does that give you any clue as to the problem?

Stx221 - What does a "TWICE module" control?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Where are you located? There are 2 9-3s in the u-pull it in Jessup MD. Do you have any junkyards near you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
As to the "popping up thing," you might notice that when you remove your key (or when you used to) the key barrel would pop up from being recessed. Occasionally, I can take my key out but the thing doesn't pop up. At that point it is as if the key is still in there and the radio stays on. I wonder if its that simple?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
Elder

That is what usually happens when some soda or other sticky stuff gets in there. Like Seth said, causing the car to think the key is still in, and lets the radio stay on, and not be able to lock the car.

There are some ways to clean it with alcohol and q-tips. Though I am not the fore most expert on this.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
TSLMember

Stromer - I think you are on the rigth track. In the past, I had the same problem (when I would take my key out, but it would pop up, the radio would stay on, etc.) When this would happen in the past, I would reinsert the key and then take it out and it would usually pop back up.

But this time - no popping back up - I've tried everything.

Any advice??
Old 06-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

i've left my 900 sunroof open plenty of times and the cylinder always got stuck... i'd say just give it a few days to dry out and it should go back to normal - mine always has.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

I left the sunroof open in my Volvo 850 two years ago - the airbag module under the front seat was ruined. Believe it or not, I was able to get insurance to cover it under flood damage...

I had a few inches of water on the floor of my car - bailed it out and then let it dry outside with the windows open on sunny days for about a week. I also tried leaving the heat going full blast for a few hours. If you do this, put some protection on your seat leather as it did seem to dry out my seats.

good luck - my car is back 100%, no long term damage...but what a pia!

Also in my saab I spilled some coffee in the key barrel. I sprayed wd-40 in there and it eventually loosened up.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
ive water locked my '96 and water started to come in. Make sure you mop everything up and leave a heater in the car over night with the windows cracked to try and get any and all moisture out of it. My keyless still doesnt work, im still not sure what i'll have to replace there.

For me i had the same issue with the keys. IIRC, the thing popped up but it still had current going through the connection. Pop apart the middle and dry the hell out of it too with some kind of heater. Mine did it initially, but not after some time, you can prolly speed it up with a heater.

Best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:00 AM   #13
TSLMember

Wow - you guys/gals are great! It's nice to know I'm not the only one to leave the sunroof open in the rain : )

It's hotter than Hades here, so that should help dry everything up : )

I'll try the WD40 on the key insert - keep your fingers crossed....
Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline406 View Post
My keyless still doesnt work, im still not sure what i'll have to replace there.
Inregards to the TWICE unit. It is like a mini looking ECU found under the carpet of the drivers side seat in ng900's, og 9-3's, and 9-5's. Other models might be the same but not sure. This unit is what shares the code that your Key FOB does to send/recieve the keyless entry signal. The bad thing about this setup is that when the car is flooded, its on one of the lowest parts of the floor and can easily be waterlogged or shorted out. Another bad issue is that the code between the TWICE unit and the key FOB is unique and is not registered with the VIN of the car. That can cause a few problems.

1) If you loose your only key FOB, there is no way to program a new one (so I have been told by the dealer). IIRC the dealer codes a new FOB if you have one to get the code from.

2) If you need to replace the TWICE unit, you also need to have a matching coded key FOB to make it work. (if you do, then its a direct swap)

My newer '97 900 that I just bought didnt come with a key FOB but since I had one with my '96 I just swapped the unit and my FOB worked on the '97.

If your twice does fail and even if the ignition switch is stuck down you can manually lock your car. Lock all three passenger doors from the inside then lock the driver side door only (there is two settings when manually locking the driver door. Go to lock it too far and it tries to lock all the doors and when the ignition is not poping up, it will inturn unlock all the doors.)

Last edited by Marks9-3; 06-09-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in