No heat? Any ideas - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 03:31 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
No heat? Any ideas

My 99 9-3 is blowing warm but hot hot air at whatever adjusted vent/deforst/floor mode. Are there any specific hoses i need to look at to see if they are off/cracked. This is the first winter i'll be having the car and the temp that the air is coming out of the vents is not very hot. It is not cold, but not hot. It is just warm. It is a big difference than my other cars heat that could scorch you if you put to your hand too close to the vents. Is there a problem going on in my Saab that would not put out great heat. The control cable attached on the back on the manual control brick is still attached and moves like it should as i adjust it from cold to hot. My coolent level is fine. I did how ever just change my t-stat a little while ago. Was i suppose to bleed the hoses or something after i drained the coolent and put ina new t-stat. and put the coolent back in.
My c900 always seemed to put out a hot supply in this cold VT weather. I even let the car warm up to the middle of the temp gauge before i really turn the vent speed on. Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

sounds like your heater core may be going bad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I had the same problem on my 9-3 with climate control and the dealer replaced the temp sensor that is in the center console (swirled hole by seat heaters) and after that it worked just peachy. If it is blowing luke warm air it still may not be a heater core but could also be a thermostat stuck open or numerous other things like that. What does the temp gauge read on your car when it is fully warmed up? Can you feel warmth on the 2 hoses that run in and out of the heater core (coming out of the firewall about an inch in diameter).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #4
Elder

The t-stat is brand new and i doubt it is that. I just put it in and it always reads fine on the dash gauges. I dont know where the heat core is located on my car. The car doesn't have a temp sensor to the manual ac controls on the dash/console area. It is a 98/99 saab 9-3. It was the 375th 9-3 ever made.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr
The t-stat is brand new and i doubt it is that. I just put it in and it always reads fine on the dash gages. I dont know where the heat core is located on my car. The car doesn't have a temp sensor to the manual ac controls on the dash/console area. It is a 98/99 Saab 9-3. It was the 375th 9-3 ever made.
Then it must be the heat intensity control, either not engaged or messed up.
neither a liberal nor a conservative be
Old 12-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
yeah my tstat is broken in half and mine still works just fine.....weird huh
Old 12-26-2004, 05:13 PM   #7
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaviggen
yeah my tstat is broken in half and mine still works just fine.....weird huh
Unless you are pullin' our legs, viggen, and I believe you are, tis absolutely impossible for a thermostat to be broken in half and still function...
I'll bet the heat control is broken - probably all plastic !
Old 01-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
TSLMember

Hey !
Was the problem ever solved ??
Please do not leave us hanging, Soccerr.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #9
Elder

Not really, The temp has warmed up around here (use to be -20), now in the 20's, and the heat is a bit hotter but it just seems that i have to have my car maxed out on the heat control and the vents at the third setting to ge tthe car comfortable. I never puit it on the four setting because i was told that is not good for the car/motor stuff. Anyway, all the shafts and wires in the back of the manual control unit are working properly. My only guess out be that the heat core is not get the air hot like it use to or maybe some vent in the heater box deep in the dash is messed up. To fix the heater box is like 1000-14000 IF that is the problem and the heater core is only 150 but like 6-8 hours of work at 50 dollars an hour. So I just went out to the auto store, bought a 15 dollar cig. heater and turn that on if i get to chilled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Well I am in the same boat now my heater is blowing luke warm air if the the thermostat is set above 76 F. Looks like I need to investigate some sensors or a new climate control unit. Not sure yet.

Old 01-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
Administrator
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to turbosb
I just had a similar situation with mine. But mine wouldn't turn off at all, just kept blowing hi no matter what I did. Then it just stopped working completely. When we tore everything apart I had harness that went bad, caused the whole system to breakdown, one after the other. Had to get all new AC system because it had fryed all the boards and my blower motor. That plus a broken lower control arm ran me $1400. I love my saab

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in