Stage 4 Smog question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Stage 4 Smog question

Hey, all-
So I'm trying to get my stage 4 Nordic 9-3 smogged (CA), and keep going over on NO. I'm running the GS 3" downpipe with racecat. Think that's the issue? I have my stock DP and a new set of O2 sensors, but I'm hesitant to put it on, as I don't want to damage the engine with excessive backpressure on the exhaust system, given the software I'm running. I don't have a stock ECU, by the way. Any ideas?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Elder

It will be ok to run the stock DP/Cat just to pass emissions. The O2 Sensors should be put in if you already have them.

Good luck
Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
your stock DP will do the job while you pass emissions, then slap the GS back on. It sounds to me like the racecat is doing its job quite well enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Passed! thanks, all.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishassassin View Post
Passed! thanks, all.
with what exhaust?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
SAAB Road Master

I passed the European Smog test with the GS 3" downpipe/cat combo, & Flowmaster muffler. It's not the exhaust that was failing you. It must have been something else. dirty MAF or bad gas maybe?

Last edited by 93nut; 02-28-2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
I would start with fuel trims.. that will tell you a little about the AMM and other sensors.

We have not had any with issues. This is the first I have heard. Maybe an air leak at the exh.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Curious as to what setup you ran when you passed. I am about to get my 9-5 smogged and I have the 3" GS downpipe and racecat as well. I thought it may be an issue, since CA has some seriously ridiculous smog restrictions. But at the same time I would be surprised if it made that much of a difference.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

I wound up running the stock DP with new O2 sensors (just to be sure), with the JT 3" catback. Passed with flying colors. I probably could have passed with the GS DP if I had swapped the new sensors in (seeing as I was so close already), but I was tired of shelling out $40 every time I didn't pass.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
good u passed

^CLICK ME^
Old 04-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I just failed smog on my 2000 Viggen with the GS DP & Race CAT. My car too failed the NO on the 15 mph:
...............%CO2.......%O2.....HC(PPM)....CO(%) .....NO(PPM)
15 MPH:.....14.9.........0.0.......25............0.09 .........513*
25 MPH:.....14.9.........0.0.......19............0.08 .........374

*FAILED: max is 430

I just finished putting my stock DP back on, since 2 years ago prior to putting on the GS DP my numbers were:
...............%CO2.......%O2.....HC(PPM)....CO(%) .....NO(PPM)
15 MPH:.......15.1........0.01.......11..........0.01 .........45
25 MPH:.......15.1........0.00........8...........0.0 0.........45

we see how it fairs next Sat when I go in for a retest.

x-VWer:

Last edited by perkj; 04-13-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Hmm, do let me know how that works out. I still haven't gotten mine done... been running expired tags for two months now. I think I *may* have kept my stock DP... but I don't really remember. That could suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in