Seat Heat? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Elder

Seat Heat?

So i have a 1997 900SE. Leather etc. My seat heater no longer works. it lights up the button on the console but yeah not heat. Passenger side will roast you out of the seat. with winter approaching i want to get my heater to work. what is the procedure and is it a DIY? can i just swap the heater from passenger to driver? if so is it easy? or might there be a connection i should check first?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
mine is shot too on the driver side

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
you can but you'll need to take off your seat skins, peel off the foam that is adhesived to the seat padding that contains the seat heating wirer element, cut the power wires, and reattch to your drivers side wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr View Post
you can but you'll need to take off your seat skins, peel off the foam that is adhesived to the seat padding that contains the seat heating wirer element, cut the power wires, and reattch to your drivers side wire.
so what is the quickest and easiest way for that to be done. my butt is cold. it was 30 last night when i got out of work...
Old 10-30-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Purchase:
http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdet...ts=1&code=4697

Grab some tools, take a day, and start pulling the bottom of your seat apart. I would imagine it will go back together fairly nicely if you don't break anything.

Honestly, I think the only thing you need to do is undo the hook wires at the backside of the bottom portion of the seat. Pull that back a bit and you might have to pull back the sides of the seat also in order to expost the heating pad. But, I've never done it so don't take my word for it. Wait a month and I might be able to tell you.

'04 9-3 Aero
Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #6
Elder

Make sure first you have not blown any fuses, and then check to see that all the connectors around and under the seat are connected. I believe there should be a connector between the seat bottom and seat back, if you have a back pad.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Yep, the passenger side on my NG is out, the GF complains now but my ass is toasty warm so there is really no need for me to worry about it!

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

yea its either the switch or the seat heater. If the passenger seat works, swap the switches an see if the problem travels. Otherwise the coil usually breaks at the bolsters on the sides of the seat.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsc View Post
yea its either the switch or the seat heater. If the passenger seat works, swap the switches an see if the problem travels. Otherwise the coil usually breaks at the bolsters on the sides of the seat.
Thanks i will check this out this weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS7777 View Post
Yep, the passenger side on my NG is out, the GF complains now but my ass is toasty warm so there is really no need for me to worry about it!
Yeah mine is the opposite. the GF gets toasted and i freeze. seeing as it is my car and i am the person that gets in it in the cold i think i should have the heat...
Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
If you end up fixing it this weekend, I want to watch, I'll bring beer. Must learn how to do this for when mine breaks in two months.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:44 AM   #11
Elder

i will be doing this on the weekend also cleaning GFs car as well.. what kind of beer will be brought? lol
Old 11-02-2007, 04:57 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlymurt View Post
120$? My butt can freeze.
or:
Open up the existing heating pad, find the breaks in the coil. Solder in a new element of the same gauge, look for any weakspots to prevent it from happening again too soon.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
or:
Open up the existing heating pad, find the breaks in the coil. Solder in a new element of the same gauge, look for any weakspots to prevent it from happening again too soon.
Now that is more my idea.. exactly what i was looking to do as 120 is way too much.. or just swap pads from passanger to driver. hell maybe add a back pad if i dont have one.. lol
Old 11-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #14

you dont even need new wire, just cut off the shorted portions and pull a some of the wire out of its zig-zag formation, solder and you are good to go.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #15
Elder

nice to know. all i need now is a soldering iron..
time to visit the parents i do think...
Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
or:
Fair enough, but that's why I do freeze... I didn't even know what the heating pad looked like really. I might try that...

'04 9-3 Aero
Old 11-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #17

http://quasimotors.com/heated_seat_repair.htm

thats for a 9000. Same general principle for a ng, bolts might be different sizes, seat will be slightly different, etc. Read that an you can tackle it.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
nowhereman, i've got a spare seat from a 94 Ng. if its not hard to take out i'll sell you mine for ALOT less than 120

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in