T5/T7 AC compressor bypass. Short belt info. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Exclamation T5/T7 AC compressor bypass. Short belt info.

T5 info is at the bottom of the thread.

Here's how to short belt your T7 when your AC compressor decides to begin its death rattle:

(Tweek, please embellish this so it doesn't sound so retarded)

1. Read the Saablink search results for "short belt," disregard anything that mentions a 6pk 2345mm belt size. That's the size already on the car.
2. Open your owner's manual to the specifications section.
3. Buy 1805 mm belt/71.06 inch belt.
4. Ask Tweek nicely if he'll do the work.
5. If no Tweek is available, then unbolt the strut brace and jack up front right passenger's side wheel.
6. Remove the wheel and remove the panel in the middle of the wheel well.
7. (Do something I didn't catch to make it easier to remove belt.)
8. Remove belt. Struggle.
9. Keep trying to remove belt and then loosen mounting bolts on air box to make it easier to remove belt. Loosen clamps on the crinkle hose and remove the hose.
10. Thread new belt following diagram in specifications section of your owner's manual but bypass the lowest right pulley, which is the AC compressor.
11. Get ready to retension the belt. If a Tweek is doing the install, call DeLorean and PaulH. to come help when Aireeca freaks out about potentially saucing the car by pulling too hard during the manuever.
12. Reassemble air box, wheel, brace.
13. Start the car up and, ahem, "see what happens."
14. If Tweek is involved, buy him a Gatorade and a water because that's all he'll take in return.
15. If no Tweek is involved, buy yourself a Gatorade and prepare to roll in your AC-less, happier 9-3. Woot!

Biggest important thing to remember:
The length of the belt that goes around the AC compressor is 2345mm which is NOT the length for the short belt delete. The real belt sized needed for this is 1805mm/71.06 inches.

Belt Part Numbers? Oh yeah, I got 'em...
Gatorback 4060710
Duralast 884510
Saab 4961058

JUST IN FROM TWEEK!!!

Late NG900s and early OG9-3s take a 1815 mm belt for the short belt/AC bypass.

Last edited by aireeca; 03-13-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Let's bump those part numbers up, Up, UP!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Edit: If no tweek is around pester aireeca till she gives you tsl vcard (or whatever it is) of emergency contact info for local tsl assistance should you need it .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
You might also want to unplug the one connecter that goes to the compressor.
Especially if you have ACC. that way you dont try and get the clutch to lockup when it cant. To me, I would just feel a little bit better about doing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6

Old 10-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StX221 View Post
You might also want to unplug the one connecter that goes to the compressor.
Especially if you have ACC. that way you dont try and get the clutch to lockup when it cant. To me, I would just feel a little bit better about doing it.
Description of connector? Directions on how to find said connector? I think there's a red wire down there? Do I cut it or the black wire to defuse the bomb, I mean ACC?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
Elder

Now just go on and remove the A/C. You don't really need it, and the compressor + condenser + plumbing weighs probably 15-20 lb - not to mention the reduced load on the engine.

Do it! Do it!

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 10-08-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Beau she's already bypassed the compressor therefore there is no load on the engine anymore............other then carrying an extra 20 lbs.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
Elder

Hush. It's morning.

*sips third Dew of the last hour*

Also, "Electric Boogaloo" is the name of a pretty sweet Five Iron Frenzy album. Good times.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Last edited by codesplice; 10-08-2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
Description of connector? Directions on how to find said connector? I think there's a red wire down there? Do I cut it or the black wire to defuse the bomb, I mean ACC?
Well, it might be hard to find, but if you look all around, there is only one wire that comes off the compressor. somewhere up the line is some kind of connector (you shouldnt have to cut anything). It will probably be behind the passenger side headlamp somewhere.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
Elder

Is there perhaps a fuse for the ACC system? That might be easier than disconnecting the compressor.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #10
Elder

Thats true, Good call splice. Check in the engine bay fuse box, there should be a fuse for the A/C compressor. I know there is one in the 9-5 fuse box, and I would assume that it would be the same in a 9-3 fuse box.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post

Biggest important thing to remember:
The length of the belt that goes around the AC compressor is 2345mm which is NOT the length for the short belt delete. The real belt sized needed for this is 1805mm/71.06 inches.

+1...

2345 is the correct belt for short belt mod on a T5 NG900/9-3 (B204 engine), but not a T7 B205

My apologies for getting bad info to you.....
Old 10-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #12
Elder

No problem. It was easy enough to figure out once Tweek had pulled the old belt and I could see the length on it (the belt itself is still fairly new and happy). Luckily, it was fixable with just another trip down to Autozone and watching the desk guy type...very...slowly...the millimeters...into...the...conversion...program... on...his...computer..........Ack.
(P.S. Reading the driver's manual also was a BIG help. Who knew?)
Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
Elder

Oh, while I've got a Duralast belt or some such on the car right now, here is the Saab part number for the 1805 belt: 4961058.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Yes, I seem to have trouble comunicating with car parts people. Ironic I know.

I told them pk1805. They said they had no such belt in the cross reference. After we convert over to inches, magically one shows up. With the 6pk 1805 written right on the box.

This will also work on 900s if you do middle pulley delet (short belt) and want to bypass the AC.

T7 cars are also a huge pita to work on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
:nods head yes violently:

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Well, I thought you had been gentle with Harald. However, he seemed reluctant to sit down today.....
Old 10-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Aireeca, have you cleaned the engine bay yet? I used alcohol prep pads on my hands today and they are still dirty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Aireeca, have you cleaned the engine bay yet? I used alcohol prep pads on my hands today and they are still dirty.
Indeed. I hosed down the engine bay this morning as I was doing some post Saabtoberfest maintenance. Looks a lot better. Also, you taking a lot of the dirt away on your hands seemed to help, too.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #19
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
Also, "Electric Boogaloo" is the name of a pretty sweet Five Iron Frenzy album. Good times.
That's exactly what I thought when I read the title....Five Iron Frenzy 2: Electric Boogaloo. It's actually in the CD player in my car. Weird.

[/FIF content]

Doing belts on Saabs has never been my favorite thing. Especially the post '99 9-3s and all the 9-5s. The one on my Viggen isn't too bad.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #20
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
does anyone have apart # of 1805 belt that i can get at autozone??
2002 viggen current

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in