T5/T7 AC compressor bypass. Short belt info. - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #41
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Ok, I'm going to sticky this.

Just as an FYI, 1805 is the length for a T-5 motor without the A/C and without the idler pulley.
Thank you Andy because I kept thinking that the 2k mm belt would be way to long for mine. May need this as a backup plan now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #42
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Uh-oh, no AC compressor replacement? Where did you score the new one and, gulp, how much was it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #43
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
Uh-oh, no AC compressor replacement? Where did you score the new one and, gulp, how much was it?
Used from Aaron with discount. I've been without AC for a while due to a bad compressor. However if, and see other thread, the shop somehow screws up I'm going to tell them to leave the compressor off and shortbelt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #44
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold

Last edited by VWSAABVT; 11-06-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #45
SAABeginner

Thanks to everyone for the instructions above - my girlfriend and I quickly switched out our belt today in about an hour.

Does anyone know the appropriate fuse we should pull in order to kill the a/c compressor? From this link here it looks like #19 from the instrument panel and No. 5 from the engine bay...

What about all the listed ACC fuses?

Thanks!

C
Old 09-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #46
Elder

Looks like fuse J in the engine bay for the AC compressor. Although, I left it in, no big deal.

Welcome to the site and glad we could be of some help!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #47
SAABeginner

Thanks for the speedy reply and the welcome!

Only question: our compressor is actually working great - we had to bypass the pulley because the pulley bearings were starting to go and we didn't feel like spending a grand (at a shop) to replace the whole unit just to fix a stupid bearing.

Is there any danger in killing the unit if we leave the fuse in? I'm hoping at some point we might work up the nerve to just try and replace the bearings ourselves, and I want that compressor still working when we get around to it!

C
Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #48
SAABeginner

Hi, new poster here - not new to Saabs, just new to this forum. I'm curious about bypassing the AC compressor. It looks to me that if the AC compressor is bypassed, the serpentine belt still goes around the top of the PS pump pulley, then under the water pump and on to the crankshaft pulley. If this is correct, the water pump will spin in the opposite direction. Am I missing something here? TIA... Ron
Old 11-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #49
JK
Elder

You must be missing something, it isn't going to spin the water pump backwards...

I think this diagram shows the routing sans A/C compressor, just the PS and O2 pumps. Correct me if I am wrong...

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/Diagr...ng900belts.gif

However It does show the center idler pulley which I think a lot of people just bypass as well.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #50
SAABeginner

Ok, I see. For some reason, I thought that the belt from the PS pump came straight down and under the water pump pull instead of over the top of the water pump pulley. I already have the idler delete short belt mod, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to carry an AC compressor delete belt just in case. Thanks... Ron
Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #51
Elder

Just an update from Tweek, but it looks like the last NG900s and early OG9-3s actually take a 1815 mm belt for the short belt/AC delete based on a larger diameter bit on the belt tensioner, I think. I'm sure he'll chime in if I'm wrong. I added that info to the first post.

Last edited by aireeca; 03-14-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #52
Flirting With TSL Addiction

yeah so i'm pulling up an old one....

I have a 99 9-3, replaced the tensioner after i snapped it following the rebuild.. oops.
so does that leave me at 1805 or 1815?

i have a 200mile road trip coming up and the ac compressor sounds like a rock tumbler.
i'm going to pick up a spare to toss in the trunk for the inevitable roadside repair.

thanks!

Old 05-31-2010, 04:51 AM   #53
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

my 99 9-3 worked perfectly with a duralast belt from autozone 715k6 (71.5 inch 6 peak). Lots of parts folks don't know what the #s on belts mean. Also 5060715(gates) k060715 (goodyear/gatorback). For the 900s try 710k6, 5060710, k060710 (71 inch 6 peak).

Somewhat related item ng900 with a/c minus center idler 960k6, 5060960, k060960. Same idea, 96 inch 6peak. You can use a 955 here, but it's tight.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #54
zef
TSLMember

This works on 9-5s too. 1816mm belt from O'Reilly's, bypassing both the A/C and the center idler. Thanks for the info in this thread.

Last edited by zef; 06-26-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
Just an update from Tweek, but it looks like the last NG900s and early OG9-3s actually take a 1815 mm belt for the short belt/AC delete based on a larger diameter bit on the belt tensioner, I think. I'm sure he'll chime in if I'm wrong. I added that info to the first post.
Bump...

I'm bypassing my rattling A/C and the center idler pulley...but I'm wondering if my 1998 NG900 would be considered one of the "last ones" and have the 1815 mm length rather than 1805...
Old 12-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #56

Well, I went with the 1805...seems fine right now, but the tensioner didn't go back as far as with the stock belt. So 1815 would be a safe choice I think.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #57
WSW
Elder

I picked the 1815mm one, and its been holding up for quite a while now
Old 03-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #58
SAAB Road Master

So does anyone have a diagram on how to run the new belt? I looked in the manual but couldn't find it. Also do you have to remove the center idle pulley also for this or just the ac?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #59

Now, what if I want to bypass my center idler on an NG900, but bring back the A/C? Can I just buy the 9-3 belt?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #60
SAABeginner

Hey guys. After a successful short belting on my '99 a few years back, about to do the same on my '01. The serpentine belt decided to eat itself a couple weekends ago. My question: I'm not positive that the AC is to blame. With no belt on the car right now I can spin all of the pulleys EXCEPT the AC. It won't spin at all. Should it spin? I'm going to short belt it just in case (fall is on it's way, right??) - but next summer I may throw the longer belt back on, just to see if the AC is really the issue.

Anyways, anyone recall if the AC pulley should spin freely? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in