Can't Remove Rear Wheel - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Thumbs down Can't Remove Rear Wheel

I walked out to my car today and the passenger side rear wheel was flat. So I get the lugs off, get it up in the air and the wheel wont budge. Kicking, prying, swearing, no joy. Maybe I'm stupid, maybe I'm weak, but this thing would not budge. Am I missing something???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
Mine have done that, the outside of the rear rotors get a lil corroded and they're a tight fit with the wheel to begin with. Just sit on your ass and alternate kicking opposite sides of the wheel until it breaks loose. Then clean up the rotor and put some antiseize on it or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Elder

They seized to the hub. Do you have a big rubber mallet? If so, take a nice slug to the back of the wheel.

OR, pump the tire full of air. Loosen all of the lugnuts. Put the car in reverse. Get on it. Slam on the brakes. Pull forward and do the same thing. You will hear a "pop" and know that you have broken it free.

Then pick up antiseize and put it on the lugs and the facing hub side of the wheel. You won't have to worry about it next time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
Elder

like Topher said! exactly
Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Elder

Oh and after you fix it...come to the saab meet at my house next weekend.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
also make sure the hand brake isnt on
Old 09-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

If you take a rubber mallet to the back of the tire, make sure to have one lug installed just a few turns. Tires can really fly if they want to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Screw the mallet and just do what Topher said. You can spend an hour doing with a mallet what you will do in 30 seconds as Topher described.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:02 AM   #9

I got it off, the mallet worked, I hope the wheel is still straight.
Thanks for the help
Old 09-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #10

well I hope it was a rubber mallet..
Old 09-26-2007, 07:19 AM   #11

It looked like this...

Old 09-26-2007, 07:29 AM   #12
Elder

I always tried a big sledgehammer first, and used a block of wood against the rim/tire instead of hitting it directly.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #13

Usually at work if a dead blow mallet won't get a stuck wheel off, I go to the 20 pound sledge. As long as you hit the tire and not the lip of the rim, you're all set. Sometimes it takes one good blow to the lip to get the really stuck ones to budge, and I have yet to bend a rim doing this. Glad you got the wheel off.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #14
JK
Elder

I still like the "loosen the lugs a turn or two and hit the brakes going 5 mph" method
Old 09-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #15

That is the absolute last resort, because it means putting the other wheels back on, taking the car off the lift...a lot of work.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #16

I didnt really use a sledge , but I wanted to, I had a dead blow that did the trick. I was amazed at how "stuck" the wheel was. I've never run into that on any other car. Brake rotors & wheel hubs, yes, but never a wheel. Oh and I found a nail in the tire so now I have to fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in