White smoke from exhaust - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
SAABeginner

White smoke from exhaust

I recently bought a 1995 saab 900 se turbo convertible. I have noticed that every so often puffs of white smoke will come out of my exhaust. I've noticed a small amount of smoke quite a few times when stopping at lights. Then i'll also notice it if I crank the wheel most of the way over for a turn or leaving a parking stall. My car was leaking fluids so originally I had thought that oil was leaking onto my exhaust. So I took the car to the shop and had the mechanic find where the leak was coming from. My power steering pump had a leak, but there was no oil leak. I got a new psp hoping that the white smoke would cease but it hasn't. Any thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
what kinda fluids is it leaking when you're turning hard? greasy stuff? can you hear any abnormal sounds when making a very tight turn?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
that sounds like its time for a new head gasket...
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:29 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
White smoke = coolant
Blue smoke = oil
Black smoke = fuel.

Sounds like a small hg leak to me too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Pay attention to the hard steering part and see if that is doing it as much. That seems unrelated to white smoke which, as mentioned before, is likely your head gasket. What is happening is your coolant is being burned up slightly as it is leaking into the engine.

How drastically is your coolant level going down? I'm going to guess you haven't noticed it yet, so you should have a little time. But don't wait too long as head gaskets get progressivly worse and you will have coolant mixing with your oil which will impair lubrication quite a bit.

Start researching good local repair shops now!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Johnz826
Quote:
Originally Posted by saab4life93t View Post
that sounds like its time for a new head gasket...
I definitly agree, but it could also be a cracked turbo too, could have sworn someone here in this forum had a cracked turbo housing and coolant was leaking into the exhaust side.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz826 View Post
I definitly agree, but it could also be a cracked turbo too, could have sworn someone here in this forum had a cracked turbo housing and coolant was leaking into the exhaust side.
I thought i did a few months ago, but it was just a really light blue smoke from the oil. There is almost no way that a turbo can blow a coolant seal and leak coolant into the exhaust. It it possible but rare for it to blow and mix with the oil, in which case you would have milky oil.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxian55 View Post
I thought i did a few months ago, but it was just a really light blue smoke from the oil. There is almost no way that a turbo can blow a coolant seal and leak coolant into the exhaust. It it possible but rare for it to blow and mix with the oil, in which case you would have milky oil.
mmmmmmm milky oil.....maybe it wasn't from this forum but i do recall someone did have a cracked turbo and coolant was leakin into the exhuast part and not in the bearing part, but i know wat u mean, that would definitly ruin ur day if u had milky oil. Play it off, say it's a new type of oil that just came out

Old 07-26-2007, 05:51 AM   #9
Elder

I dont think the car would be driveable if you cracked the housing that bad.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #10

Quote:
I dont think the car would be driveable if you cracked the housing that bad.
Trust me it wasn't driveable after it started smoking for about a minute, according to the person. Car wouldn't start had to have it towed from where he was.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Trust me it wasn't driveable after it started smoking for about a minute, according to the person. Car wouldn't start had to have it towed from where he was.
Wow im not even mad, im impressed.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
LOL
Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
I believe there is a miss understanding of how you read my response, i just simply said in other words ur right it wasn't driveable, i should have worded it better, my bad. I don't get mad on forums, i find no reason to ever. lol but i do laugh at others that do.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #14
SAABeginner

It had been leeking power steering fluid, but ever since I fixed the psp it hasn't been leeking fluids or making any abnormal sounds when I turn. Just white smoke every so often. Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
I believe there is a miss understanding of how you read my response, i just simply said in other words ur right it wasn't driveable, i should have worded it better, my bad. I don't get mad on forums, i find no reason to ever. lol but i do laugh at others that do.
its a quote from achorman, i was just jokin around.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I had a bearing split in my turbo, but that caused a James Bond style white smoke screan of white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in