Fuel shut off valve (4966826) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Fuel shut off valve (4966826)

So my car doesnt fill up all the way it gets a bit over half a tank. I was thinking it was either one of the evap charcoal canisters originally but under further inspection i think it could be this "fuel filler shut off valve" part num 4966826 i cant find any links where someone has changed this part before but i figured out it was there from a diagram from esaabparts.com. what is the specific function of this part? Fuel shut off valve for filling the tank maybe? I actually took the cover off the other day and the wire is connected but it looks like the previous owner changed the part with a non oem part (pierburg part from Germany) and there is a plastic locking ring that isnt in place. I tried to put it back but no luck... Its very difficult, anyone think this valve is my issue? I just got finished putting my new motor in but cant put that plastic ring back in place... Thanks

Jeff

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
WSW
Elder

Let me know if you need a replacement valve, I have a few spare
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Jeff: From the WIS:

Fuel is filled through the fuel filler pipe and passes through a non-return valve to the tank. The
fuel filler pipe acts as an ejector. The fuel flowing down will be accompanied by air from
outside and prevent the emission of the fuel vapour into the atmosphere via the opening in
the filler pipe. The fuel being filled forces out the gaseous hydrocarbons and the
accompanying air through the float valve and on to the evaporative emission canister. The
EVAP canister absorbs the hydrocarbons and the air is passed through the shut-off valve
(absent on ORVR without tank integrity diagnosis).
At a certain level (approx. 95%), the float valve closes and the pressure in the tank increases.
The fuel now rises in the filler pipe and the fuel nozzle closes when the fuel reaches it. The
non-return valve in the filler pipe prevents ”back-spit” when the nozzle closes.
The pressure remaining in the tank passes slowly through the rollover valve and into the
evaporative emission canister. As the fuel level decreases, the fuel runs in from the filler pipe
until it is empty.
When the engine is started, the evaporative emission canister is gradually purged as air is
sucked into it through the shut-off valve. The hydrocarbon/air mixture passes through the
EVAP canister purge valve and into the engine where it is burnt.
The diagnosis in ORVR cars is divided into two variants, normal and special, depending on the
engine coolant temperature and the temperature of the intake air. This is to eliminate any
affects of the fuel vapour evaporating.
An evaporative emission canister fitted by the tank is used on ORVR cars to store approx. 130
g hydrocarbons. The canister is filled with approx. 70-90 g hydrocarbons during normal
refuelling. This is subsequently purged while the car is being driven so that it is normally
empty the next time the car is refuelled.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
Jeff: From the WIS:

Fuel is filled through the fuel filler pipe and passes through a non-return valve to the tank. The
fuel filler pipe acts as an ejector. The fuel flowing down will be accompanied by air from
outside and prevent the emission of the fuel vapour into the atmosphere via the opening in
the filler pipe. The fuel being filled forces out the gaseous hydrocarbons and the
accompanying air through the float valve and on to the evaporative emission canister. The
EVAP canister absorbs the hydrocarbons and the air is passed through the shut-off valve
(absent on ORVR without tank integrity diagnosis).
At a certain level (approx. 95%), the float valve closes and the pressure in the tank increases.
The fuel now rises in the filler pipe and the fuel nozzle closes when the fuel reaches it. The
non-return valve in the filler pipe prevents ”back-spit” when the nozzle closes.
The pressure remaining in the tank passes slowly through the rollover valve and into the
evaporative emission canister. As the fuel level decreases, the fuel runs in from the filler pipe
until it is empty.
When the engine is started, the evaporative emission canister is gradually purged as air is
sucked into it through the shut-off valve. The hydrocarbon/air mixture passes through the
EVAP canister purge valve and into the engine where it is burnt.
The diagnosis in ORVR cars is divided into two variants, normal and special, depending on the
engine coolant temperature and the temperature of the intake air. This is to eliminate any
affects of the fuel vapour evaporating.
An evaporative emission canister fitted by the tank is used on ORVR cars to store approx. 130
g hydrocarbons. The canister is filled with approx. 70-90 g hydrocarbons during normal
refuelling. This is subsequently purged while the car is being driven so that it is normally
empty the next time the car is refuelled.
Thats great info it says air is supposed to pass thru my shut off valve so im guessings it's clogged and thats why i cant fill up all the way.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW View Post
Let me know if you need a replacement valve, I have a few spare
Im going to try that first would you be willing to sell one or should i just pay the 100$ for a new one? Also any tips for that pesky circular plastic retainer clip?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in