Saab 9-3 drive belt, tensioner and pulley replacement or just call it quits? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Saab 9-3 drive belt, tensioner and pulley replacement or just call it quits?

Hello all,

Had my drive belt give out and looks like the pulley and tensioner need to be replaced as well. I was quoted about $950 to repair all with labor.

Car is an 01 9-3 with 174K miles and has seen better days(Convertible motor is dead, seats torn, bad start ups, etc).

I'm getting opinions on if you would just call it on this car and purchase a new vehicle or if you would pay the repairs? I was hoping to make it to 200K but you know how that goes. My car in current condition is maybe worth $1200...

Thanks for your help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
SAABeginner

And looking into this, if I tried to repair myself, does anyone know if this is all I would need?
thanks

Euro parts link, but I can't post it? That's dumb forum rules...

/Accessory-Drive-Belt-Kit-101K10082/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw9nUBRCTARIsAG11eidqZPJlTsWEboUP_uC HgVrd5INtYVtZh94U_ay7bX0IgAJQg_cpp-AaApM_EALw_wcB[/url]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Elder

You can do it as a minimum with that. While the belt is off and you're in there you could do the front crankshaft main seal (behind the crank pulley) and o-ring for the oil pump housing if they are leaking. Also check the alternator and water pump by spinning them by hand with the belt off. If either of them is wobbly or makes a grinding sound you'll have more problems later.

Also check to make sure the A/C compressor isn't seized. Any of those things seizing up will just destroy the new belt.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in