Trunk leak, yes I have read the thousands of threads. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Trunk leak, yes I have read the thousands of threads.

So my trunk is leaking out by the right rear speaker. (Pics to follow) maybe someone can figure out where this water comes from. It seems to be coming from the trunk seal but I already used a lot of rtv and sealed that. Also did the gas neck and flap. Sealed the tail lights bec those were leaking as Well. Also my sun roof drains were clogged cleaned those out.. Seems my car leaked water from every possible location, but I can't track this last one down, which happens to be the one that lets in 90 percent of the water .. In the second pic I think you can clearly see what I'm talking about. It seems like it flows down from behind that sheet metal and then if the speaker was installed it drips down on top of the bracket for it. Any more tips on what I could seal is appreciated

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Another better picture for perspective

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

I just had a friend spray the hose while in the trunk and the only time it leaks is when he sprayed the top part of the trunk window seal/too third brake light. Maybe I need to use more rtv on the trunk seal or I did read in another thread that the third brake light can leak. Maybe I'll try that next

Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

All I can say is good luck!
Old 02-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
All I can say is good luck!
Yea I mean having my friend spray it while I was inside isolated where the water is coming in. For the moment I'm just using a towel and small bucket to catch the water. Like I think I said previously it drips in when the hose is focused towards the third brake light and the upper trunk seal, currently installing a motor though so thats the least of my worries I'm even considering keeping my towel and bucket system till I can get a rubber boot mat and then I'll just ignore the water unless it gets worse.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
3 door or 5 door?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
On the 3 door, there is a small body panel above the fixed rear side window. I believe mine was leaking from there. Call out 7 in this pic: https://www.esaabparts.com/viewparts...tion=484252324

You need to remove the headliner on the NG900s to get to the attaching bolts to seal them up.

I believe I also ended up sealing around the frame and drains on the sunroof cassette itself while I had the headliner down.

The only other thing I recall is that in the channel between the weather stripping and the body by the hatch, there is a horizontal seam part way up. I slathered some silicone on that seam also.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
On the 3 door, there is a small body panel above the fixed rear side window. I believe mine was leaking from there. Call out 7 in this pic: https://www.esaabparts.com/viewparts...tion=484252324

You need to remove the headliner on the NG900s to get to the attaching bolts to seal them up.

I believe I also ended up sealing around the frame and drains on the sunroof cassette itself while I had the headliner down.

The only other thing I recall is that in the channel between the weather stripping and the body by the hatch, there is a horizontal seam part way up. I slathered some silicone on that seam also.
Thanks for the ideas but I have and og 9-3 5 door so I dont have that panel. That last part you mentioned seems promising maybe.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

I have a 5 door as well, viggen, but it also has a nice leak in the passenger rear corner of the trunk. I have some time this weekend to look at it. I'll update if I discover anything you haven't. Is the sunroof drain clear straight forward?
Old 03-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgroth View Post
I have a 5 door as well, viggen, but it also has a nice leak in the passenger rear corner of the trunk. I have some time this weekend to look at it. I'll update if I discover anything you haven't. Is the sunroof drain clear straight forward?
Sun roof drains are easy there are two black hoses that you'll see when you pull the trunk lining on both sides of the car. Both of mine were clogged. Also open your sun roof and just check if the drain holes towards the front are clean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in