Help with inner driver? Axle play? Carrier bushing - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
Help with inner driver? Axle play? Carrier bushing

Hey everyone, been a while. The cars was finally drivable this year so I've been taking it out every now and then. The left front has been making a squeaky noise, popping and a shimmy in the pedals from a stop. The clutch seems to chatter and slip under light load too. These are only some of the issues rearing their ugly heads. AC - steering rack - stereo. Seems endless.
So I've been trying to tackle the shimmy and popping from the front left, got the car up and saw a huge amount of play from the axel coming out of the transmission. I've been doing some research and a lot of people are saying it's the dif carrier bushing (there's also a leak from the seal). So I planned to replace the bushing but on getting in there I noticed a lot of play when a push against the splines inside the case. I have a video to help show what I'm talking about. Is this normal? Do I just part the car out at this point?? Uugghh.
Please help!

https://youtu.be/ZCuMrskWSnQ

Last edited by iwantaviggen; 09-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
Drew In Houston
Elder

Just watched the video, yes that's normal but stop doing that and put it back together, 18 ft-lbs each. (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that value, working from memory).

You really shouldn't be removing that carrier because there are shims under there that set the preload on the differential bearing, and if you get a piece of dirt in there or whatever it won't be right (or maybe there was a piece of dirt in there and you removed it...). Probably not a big deal, but there's nothing serviceable there while the transmission is in the car.

The part that you're diddling with your finger is the actual driver internal to differential, there are two of them, one for the passenger side shaft, one for the driver side, Item 4 here:

https://www.jimellissaabparts.com/sh...category=19612

They just float in there, held in place by the teeth. The teeth are pretty coarse, so there's room for movement. You want to make sure that you don't move it out of position, which isn't really possible as long as the shaft is in the other side of it--but is if the other isn't there. If you have both shafts out, you can actually get it out of position, along with part 5a in the diagram, to the point where the transmission has to be disassembled to make things right again.

Last edited by Trionic3000; 09-17-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Elder

got it - thank you - only the driver side is apart - I am trying to track down the front shimmy and popping, I've been reading about people changing their carrier bushing without taking the trans out, I was going to attempt this in the next week or so.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Drew In Houston
Elder

What part exactly is the carrier bushing? I think there's just the bearing (pressed on the differential), the bearing race (can't really be removed w/o splitting the case), the shims, and then the carrier--or whatever it's called, the part that the seal gets pressed into, has 5-holes and is removed in the video.

Maybe the inner cup part of the driveshaft and/or tripod bearing?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
#19 in that parts diagram is the differential bushing you've been reading about. You have a manual trans right?

https://genuinesaab.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=773

Can be done in the car. It's a little tedious. I think I used a Dremel with a carbide bit. And I put the bushing in the freezer over night. I may have used a can of r134a to get it to shrink a bit more right before install.

Here a good write-up: https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51657

Last edited by srp; 09-19-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
#19 in that parts diagram is the differential bushing you've been reading about. You have a manual trans right?

Can be done in the car. It's a little tedious. I think I used a Dremel with a carbide bit. And I put the bushing in the freezer over night. I may have used a can of r134a to get it to shrink a bit more right before install.

Here a good write-up: Driver side Differential bushing W/ Pics - The Saab Link Forums
Exactly what I've been reading. There are a few write ups floating around if you dig enough - but that ones especially helpful.

I was just worried that I was going to be getting into the bushing replacement and not actually solve my problem.. if the bushings worn enough to give a shimmy wouldn't the axle be worn and need to be replaced.
Did the bushing replacement solve your issues, SRP?

This is coming at the same time my clutch starts giving out and my ACs bearings start failing. Just as I get the car on the road again everything falls apart...
Old 09-20-2017, 04:02 AM   #7
Drew In Houston
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post

Here a good write-up: Driver side Differential bushing W/ Pics - The Saab Link Forums
Ah, for real? I see thank you SRP. Sorry for the bad advice Iwanta. I've swapped diffs and bearings and had those things all torn down...but never messed with that bushing in there, let alone while it's still in the car lol.

They really go bad?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
Elder

Hey, not bad advice! You answered a question I had - thanks

As far as I know they go bad - I've had the passenger side fixed by a shop years ago for $$$$ I think they replaced everything from the inner driver to the diff carrier bearing and bushing.

I just wanted to make sure the bearing wasn't bad and the inner driver by itself on eeuro is $700+ OG saab part.
If I still get a shimmy after replacing the bushing I'll get an aftermarket axel and try that.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I had a mildly bad shimmy on the highway that did not go away through different rims or tires. And the inner driver had a decent amount of slop. I replaced it at the same time I did my clutch. The ride on the highway was greatly improved after that.

I'm not sure if there is any real way to test short of doing it. Perhaps there is a TSB out there somewhere that has some diagnostic steps?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #10
Drew In Houston
Elder

I had a lot of driving to do today and had time to think about this a lot:

1) Now I'm paranoid that I have a highway shimmy, on my DD I'm running junk 16's that I got for cheap on craigslist and I always just thought they might be a little bent or out of balance. I just had the transmission out about 30k ago and could have at least check this. No oil at the shaft though, so that doesn't line up... And

2) Working from memory and how I think things move in there, would it be right to think that these bushings only see rotation across them when the left and right wheel speeds are not the same like when turning? So besides normal turning, being careful not to one-wheel burnout around corners and not spin just one wheel in the snow and such would decrease the wear these bushes see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in