Another ABS Issue - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Another ABS Issue

I just picked up a 2002 9-3 SE to replace my daily driver which is about to die. I've been able to fix everything with the exception of the dreaded ABS / Warning / TCS off lights. Since the ABS module itself is the common culprit, I sent mine off to BBA Reman. They tested it, and it's ok.

Aside from the warning lights I mentioned, the speedo works fine. The only noticeable problem is that the odometer does not increment.

I assume that the only remaining items to check are the ABS pump and the wheel sensors. I haven't been able to find any information on testing either one. Should I find a garage with a Tech II, or will that not indicate where the exact problem is?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Do you have TCS also?

I can't find anything in WIS that explains how/where the odometer value is calculated. I would assume in the instrument cluster.

It is strange that your speedometer is working but your odometer is not. I assume the trip meter is broken as well? Have you checked the fuses?

The following applies if you don't have traction control:
Pin 23 send speed signals from the left-hand rear wheel to:
The main instrument unit (MIU), the speedometer
Sensonic

Pin 26 send speed signals from the right-hand front wheel to:
Mototronic 2.10.3
Trionic
EDC 15 (Diesel)

Pin 25 sends speed signals from the left-hand front wheel to:
Cruise control
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
srp
Elder

I wonder if it might be a cluster going bad... Or the TCS box if you have TCS:
https://www.saablink.net/forum/car-pr...only/57816.htm
https://www.saablink.net/forum/car-pr...only/53941.htm

Old 06-21-2017, 05:34 AM   #4

I have TCS. It is peculiar, and I haven't been able to find anyone else with the same problem. I was tempted to pickup a Tech II clone to see if that would give me answers. Forgot to mention that the fuses are fine. I'm looking for a local garage with a Tech II to get it scanned.

Last edited by ninehundredt; 06-21-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
srp
Elder

A tech 2 would sure make troubleshooting easier. Maybe someone close by has one you can borrow? Not sure how close you are to northern NJ, but I have a tech2 and would be happy to diag with you.

On a TCS car, the speed information is transferred via the P-Bus(I think).

It is indeed very strange. Usually, it's both the speedometer and odometer that don't work.
The fact that the speedo works, leads me to believe it's something in the cluster.

Does the trip odometer increase at all?
Is the speedo accurate?
Any other lights on?
Any other strange happenings in the cluster?

You could try reseating the ABS/TCS computer: https://www.saablink.net/forum/1841018-post11.htm
But you obviously did that when you took it out and sent it for reman. Double check the pins/wires in the connector?

If you felt adventurous, you can remove the cluster and try to inspect for cold solder joints.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
A tech 2 would sure make troubleshooting easier. Maybe someone close by has one you can borrow? Not sure how close you are to northern NJ, but I have a tech2 and would be happy to diag with you.

On a TCS car, the speed information is transferred via the P-Bus(I think).

It is indeed very strange. Usually, it's both the speedometer and odometer that don't work.
The fact that the speedo works, leads me to believe it's something in the cluster.

Does the trip odometer increase at all?
Is the speedo accurate?
Any other lights on?
Any other strange happenings in the cluster?

You could try reseating the ABS/TCS computer: https://www.saablink.net/forum/1841018-post11.htm
But you obviously did that when you took it out and sent it for reman. Double check the pins/wires in the connector?

If you felt adventurous, you can remove the cluster and try to inspect for cold solder joints.
No the odometer / trip computer doesn't move. Everything else on the cluster works fine. I might pull the bottom panel off and check for any loose wiring. The previous owner had someone hack in a switch for the blower motor when the controller failed.

I'm up in Ontario. I'm going to put a feeler out to see if anyone has one in Kitchener / Waterloo area. I would take it down to Buffalo to Turbojohnny, but the car isn't on the road yet.

Do you have one of the clones, or an original? If you have the clone can you send me a link where you bought it? If nobody in my area has one it'd be good to pick one up to help out other SAAB folks here.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
srp
Elder

I have a clone, picked it up on AliExpress like most people. Received it in under a week.
This is the one I bought: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-...254739349.html
Old 06-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
I have a clone, picked it up on AliExpress like most people. Received it in under a week.
This is the one I bought: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-...254739349.html
Cool. I'll check it out. I was looking at this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...07602-VnYZvQVf

Only difference seems to be free shipping to Canada.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
srp
Elder

They probably all come from the same factory anyway. I would recommend picking up at least 1 extra PC card if you intend on using it on NG900s as they use different software. The proper 32mb linear PC cards are impossible to find for a reasonable price elsewhere.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
They probably all come from the same factory anyway. I would recommend picking up at least 1 extra PC card if you intend on using it on NG900s as they use different software. The proper 32mb linear PC cards are impossible to find for a reasonable price elsewhere.
I got a bite on saabcentral from a guy in Toronto who has one. May pick one up anyway just to have it. Is the software for the different cards available via download?
Old 06-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #11
srp
Elder

You can use TIS to get the software and load the cards. Otherwise there are a few different places you can get the bins and an additional tool to load the cards. Check out the tech2 forum at SC.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #12

So finally got the car scanned with a Tech II a couple of weeks ago. Ended up being the driver's rear wheel hub. After pulling the wheel off I realized that the sensor wire had been cut. I ended up soldering it back together, only to realize that the sensor in the hub was bad too. Replaced that and now I'm good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in