Oil Pump Specifications - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Oil Pump Specifications

So I pulled the crankshaft pulley to replace the front seal and oil pump o-ring. The original o-ring was brittle (car is 22 years old), so glad I did. I have a question...

The Haynes guide and WIS state the gap between the rotor and body should be between .03 and .08 mm. I actually got a 0.127mm feeler gauge to fit through. Is this a problem? What are the repercussions for a gap this size? The oil pump kits are no longer made, so if I leave it as-is I'm concerned I could leave a bigger issue. Visually, it looks good, but I guess since it's always covered with oil that may not be noticeable?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
Elder

I would suggest installing an oil pressure gauge so that you can keep an eye on your oil pressure. I can't say if your oil pump will be okay or not as I honestly do not know. I've been really frustrated by the fact that they changed the oil pump design and then stopped producing replacement parts for the first design. If you need a new oil pump, your only option is to try to find good used parts. Or replace your entire timing cover for one that accepts the new style oil pump.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Okay, I'll get an oil pressure gauge and see where that goes. What is the new style oil pump? One from a different engine model? I'm really hoping to not buy a used. That seems like trading one worn one for another, but would like to get an idea of what that would look like.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
Elder

Here is the oil pump that you need, supposedly in stock.(in a different country)

https://saabpartners.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=1339

This is the old style and the new style. The new pump will not fit in the old cover though.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Ah, ok. I assume the bolt holes should all line up, are there any other installation things to watch for?

Have a link to the new style or know the engine model it's for?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
Elder

The new style pump came on the ng900 in 1998, the 9-3 from '99-'02+'03 convertible. As well as the 9-5 4 cylinder from '99-'09.
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/710...-Kit-21342702/

The timing covers are a direct swap. However to change the timing cover, you will also need to remove the head. It is also an extremely tight squeeze changing the cover with the engine in the car.

Last edited by turbojohnny; 03-21-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
SAABeginner

I have to admit, this is a project car for me and one for which I am learning. So far I've changed several things out and have the valve cover gasket and hoses to go. I was just looking at the WIS on replacing the timing cover and you're right... that's a mess of a lot of work. It sounds like the best solution is to use what I have, maybe order the European pump as backup, and measure the oil pressure. It would be simpler to just remove the pump again later then if necessary.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
Elder

I contacted the site that said they have the pump in stock and they assured me that it was in stock. If I were you, I would order it. Even if you don't need it right away. It will be next to impossible to find that again.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
SAABeginner

I just placed the order!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:50 AM   #10
Elder

nice, hopefully it shows up in a timely manner.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
The new style pump came on the ng900 in 1998, the 9-3 from '99-'02+'03 convertible. As well as the 9-5 4 cylinder from '99-'09.
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/710...-Kit-21342702/

The timing covers are a direct swap. However to change the timing cover, you will also need to remove the head. It is also an extremely tight squeeze changing the cover with the engine in the car.

So, if rebuilding a b234, say from a 9000, will the new style timing cover fit the older block? Or is the new style cover on the b235/05 motors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #12
Elder

The new style cover will fit the old block.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
SAABeginner

The order placed and shipped today. Got confirmation from the vendor. Thanks for calling them up btw. I was telling my wife how classy that was. Very cool. Anyways, I also got an oil pressure kit. I'll go ahead and put it all back, start it up and check the pressure. It has about 127,000 miles on it. If it measures low, I've got a replacement. If not, I'll hang on to that thing like gold until it does.

Haynes says the minimum oil pressure at 2000 rpm should be 2.7 bar (or 39 psi). That sounds high. I always figured if it was above 30 you were good.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:10 AM   #14
Elder

I would be happy with 30 psi at 2k rpm, it should increase about 10 psi for every 1k rpm.
I'm happy I could help with the oil pump.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #15
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Hey I recognize that picture! I still have that cover somewhere, it came off of a b234 motor that went into my 9-5. Really wish I could have swapped the cover to the 9-5.

I'm having an oil pressure issue on my current 9-5 aero. It is disappointing to hear that the old pumps are no longer available. Looking like the new style pumps might suffer from similar stock issues going by the eeuro stock status right now.

I've been thinking about the pump alot. I think I need to replace the whole housing, cover, and gear set on the aero. It will be at a minimum a huge job, and spendy. Hopefully not impossible due to lack of parts availability. I am planning on measuring the pump that is on there, and if I decide it needs a new housing I think I'll pull the engine to accomplish that.

My thought was how to re-furbish the pumps. My idea was to hard anodize the aluminum. We hard anodize at work which is a process that ADDS material. If the designer does not account for it often stuff won't fit after anodize. I wonder if it would be successful to hard anodize an old cover, then re-machine the housing to a new gear set.

I suppose you could also make a new front cover out of billet. Maybe an oversize one of those (thicker)?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #16
Elder

I think one would be better off making a cad file of the original t5 oil pump and having them made on a CNC machine.

If you made a thicker cover, you would not only have to machine down the pump gears, but the internals of the timing cover as well. You would then end up with narrower pump gears, which would restrict oil volume. However minute it might be, it would be a restriction.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I think one would be better off making a cad file of the original t5 oil pump and having them made on a CNC machine.

If you made a thicker cover, you would not only have to machine down the pump gears, but the internals of the timing cover as well. You would then end up with narrower pump gears, which would restrict oil volume. However minute it might be, it would be a restriction.
I was thinking a thicker cover to account for wear on the housing side. I would assume the cover and the housing wear at the same rate. Since the housing is 300$, probably also not available and hard to change.

I also doubt that the gear wear too much on the od or thickness. I think the clearance definitely wears. Since you replaced the gear set in your 9-5, I suppose the oil press problems you have now are either due to clearances in the rest of the motor, or in the oil pump housing.

Last edited by Tboy; 03-25-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #18
Elder

Any update on your oil pump order?
Old 04-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #19
SAABeginner

Yep, just came in yesterday! Pretty quick turnaround. Something happened with their system and it added a charge I shouldn't have seen. They were quick to fix that and get it shipped out. I'm really impressed.

As far as whether I'll install it just yet... I'm in the process of replacing hoses, valve cover gasket, etc, to prep this thing for the summer. As soon as I get all that finished and verify it all runs good, I'll check the pressure and go from there. If the oil pressure seems high enough, I'll hang on to this guy as it could be a life saver later. Or do you think it would be worth just installing while everything's out? Best to trust the experts!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:44 AM   #20
Elder

Honestly, you could go either way.

If you have decent oil pressure now, there isn't really a need to install the new pump.
But if you think your old pump is worn and no longer within specifications it would make sense to install the new pump before the old one causes any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in