Charging system voodoo..... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Charging system voodoo.....

Ok, a couple of nights ago, my 900 (97 900S 2.3L) displayed symptoms of a bad alternator: Dimming lights-both dash & exterior, and this got progressively worse to the point that I had no lights or electrical power by the time I got home. Here's the weird stuff that also happened: NO battery light came on when this occurred, but the ABS & Brake warning lamps did....also the radio shut off on its own.....The following morning I checked things out before condemning the alt & found a couple of issues....the small green & black wire coming off the back of the alt had been VERY BADLY cut & spliced at some point. It was just twisted together to a new section going to the alt....no soldering, or even tape....was just twisted....also cleaned some corrosion off the +terminal on the battery...Now I'm guessing that the small wire off the alt must do a little more than just feed the failure lamp on the dash (as the Hayned book says). Since fixing that wire & cleaning the terminal, the alt is putting out 14.2 @ idle & 13.5-6 with everything I can turn on, on. What I'd like to know is just what exactly the small lead does?? Oh yeah, the PO never put the top mounting bolt for the alt in as well ....ordered today.......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Send a message via Skype™ to Tap804
I'm fighting this currently. Abs light comes on and my battery light too. Just finding it weird that they both come on. These alternators are no fun.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
Drew In Houston
Elder

Sorry I don't the answer to the new question, but the answer to the original 'what does the small wire do' question is that it is the field/excitation input wire. When the alternator is supplied 12v through that wire, the 12v creates a magnetic field that is rotated insde the windings to produce electricity that is supplied to where the thick wire connects. When that small wire doesn't get power the alternator won't produce any electricity when it's spun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in