2001 9-3se OBII Codes 1304, 0304, 1260 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
SAABeginner

2001 9-3se OBII Codes 1304, 0304, 1260

Hi all,

I'm impressed at all of the saabers still active on these forums...its great to see!

My teenager just got a used 2001 9-3se convertible 2.0L with about 85k miles. The dealer replaced the DIC after a CEL came on during our test drive. After a week of running fine, the engine is misfiring terribly and read error codes 1304, 0304, and 1260.

I've read a ton of these forums, but I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in a better direction...

We've tested a different DIC which we know works, put in new NGK plugs (factor gap at .39"), added in octane booster (he put 87 octane in the tank), and ran a compression test. 1=60 first and 90 after adding oil 2=150 3=150 4=150

Couple of other random notes:
The car was in limp home mode, I cleared it, it has not come back on. There's slight buildup in the TB.
Oil leak (from OPS most likely).
Hoses & wires have seen better days.
Engine runs way too hot.

I plan on cleaning the MAF, replacing the PCV hoses, cleaning out the oil pan for sludge, flushing the radiator, and potentially cleaning out the TB.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
SAABeginner

and yes that is supposed to be .039" gap on the plugs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-14-2016, 05:36 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I think that compression test says it all...

Old 09-14-2016, 09:39 PM   #4
Drew In Houston
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriks1 View Post
I think that compression test says it all...
Agree, sounds like a cracked but still in place piston
Old 09-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Also feel the compression test is telling. If you do anything, drop the oil pan first. Take a close look up into the offending cylinder and see if you can see scoring on the culinder wall when the piston is at TDC. that should help narrow it down between a cracked piston and stuck rings. If you find sludge in the pan my vote is for stuck rings and scored cylinder wall. That seems most likely.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Compression Repair Additives

Sorry for the late response, I thought I'd get an email notification of responses to my thread and didn't know anyone responded!

I just saw the responses and haven't taken any huge leaps into examining the piston or rings yet.

To add what I described earlier, we found that adding Rislone compression repair or Restore completely clears the misfires while idling or in gear (except reverse!) for about 2-3 weeks. Then the misfires begin again with misfire codes for cylinder 1 only (makes more sense than the cylinder 4 codes from before).

Any pointers or what-to-watch-out-for tips in dropping the oil pan? I took a look and it would appear to be a massive job as the exhaust is in the way, let alone access to disconnect the pan itself.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 11-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
Drew In Houston
Elder

The oil pan isn't hard, the biggest pain is if your exhaust studs/bolts break or are siezed. There are only 5 though. 3 on the downpipe to turbo flange and 2 on the downpipe to midpipe coupler. Other than that there are two external bracket bolts.

I wouldn't bother though. I'm pretty sure you have a piston that's cracked; it probably hasn't caused a lot of scoring (maybe not any), otherwise the liquid magic stuff probably wouldn't work.

I'd pull the head and pan together if anything; you can get a used piston and new ring set, do a quick ball hone, and put it all back together with a new head gasket for pretty cheap.

Last edited by Trionic3000; 11-10-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #8
SAABeginner

Thanks a lot for the input. What would most likely cause a cracked piston?
Old 11-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #9
Drew In Houston
Elder

Is there a lot of oily buildup around the dipstick tube? That's another indicator.

For causes I think there are a few different failure contributors. The coding/calibration isn't very tolerant of failing or slow responding mass air flow meters or failing/slow responding O2 sensors and 2001 was also the second year of lighter weight pistons.

One issue is that the factory calibration for how long the engine will run in closed loop mode while load is increasing is very long--meaning that load has increased, but the fueling has not yet enriched. That's potentially better for emissions, but if you have a slightly out of calibration mass air flow sensor that's reading a little low on the real mass of air, that quickly can cause lean running, detonation--especially on low octane fuel--and because the pistons aren't over built, a crack.

Years ago talking with Nick Taliaferro at Genuine Saab, who has seen many more instances than I have, he told me that it's pretty typical to see cracks in between the ring lands, which I have seen (and why I was talking with him about it).

Last edited by Trionic3000; 11-11-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:10 AM   #10
SAABeginner

I appreciate the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in