HELP! 2000 SAAB 9-3 SE needs new turbo and various valves and hoses - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
SAABeginner

HELP! 2000 SAAB 9-3 SE needs new turbo and various valves and hoses

I just bought a 2000 SAAB 9-3 SE hatchback and for starters it needs a new turbo and a few "MIA" parts. I am broke and bought the car to get to work and back. I am supporting my 83 y/o mother so I can't mod the car as much as I would LOVE to. The car runs thankfully so I drive it at very low speeds and try to keep the RPMs below 2000. I am just trying to get her to reliably get me to work and home and to church on Sundays for my mom. So my first question is the turbo. I saw a Chinese turbo for $180 on eBay and it comes with a 1 year warranty. I am just trying to get it running so I am not stressing on every trip until I can save enough money to get a REAL turbo. What do you guys think of the turbo on eBay. For Saab 9 3 3D151204636287 | eBay

Again, it is just for now. I have $300 for the first fix right now so I just need the turbo going for a few months until I can get a good one.

Also, the previous owner screwed a lot of things up trying to maintain her. First the crank case vent is missing and so is the oil trap. He disconnected the Boost Control Valve because I guess he read that somewhere to narrow down why the turbo wasn't boosting. So I need that and upgrade the crankcase vent kit. I thought that the gasket was bad and was going to change that because there is oil everywhere but then I see that it's the missing crankcase vent of where the oil is coming from. He was an idiot and I just want to get her safely road worthy for me and my mom. Can you guys give me some tips on what should be done first, like I said , we are financially tight so most important things first just until I can save enough to keep upgrading her. I only paid $500 for her and she only has 137000 miles and other than the turbo knocking, which I thought were the valves but a mechanic used some stethoscopes to narrow it down to the turbo knocking.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Troup
Bypassing the boost control valve on the firewall is a common mod I've recently found. If the car needs a turbo, I'd find a used TD04 to put on it. They're pretty reliable from what I've heard. I don't know what turbo is on your car, but it's likely you'll need the TD04 lines as well. It also would be a good idea to tune it so that the car knows that it has a TD04 so it will perform as best as it can. But, that's not necessary to get the car reliable. I'm willing to bet you'll fall under the $300 range and then you wouldn't have to worry about replacing it later. You can try and post in the "wanted" subforum of the classifieds section on this forum. Honestly, you'll probably have more luck in the Saab groups on facebook or Saabcentral.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Espresso Black
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Glacier Blue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #3

Also, I've never heard of a turbo knocking. Take the intake tube off of it and feel for any play in the turbine. If it's not boosting and the turbine is tight, It's likely some other issue.

-Check the linkage on the wastegate to make sure its attached.
-Check your vacuum lines and intercooler hoses for any leaks.
-Also, you can check if it's the BPC by removing the Wastgate hose. It's labeled with a "W", but be very careful in doing this. Be easy on the throttle, you can do serious damage by overboosting.

If you dunno what the BPC is, its mounted on the intake tube and has 3 bigger than normal vacuum lines coming off of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero

Old 02-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Elder

Why do you think the turbo is bad? What does the car do when you drive it?

If the engine is knocking it's absolutely being caused by the crankcase vent parts being disconnected and/or missing. Replace all of that first, it's just a huge vacuum leak and will cause all kinds of weirdness, not the least of which being it'll create a big boost leak.

The PCV kit can be bought here so you know you'll have all the parts. There should be lots of writeups you can search for in old posts of where everything goes if you can't figure it out - it's a little tricky the first time, but nothing too bad.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
SAABeginner

THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH FOR THE REPLIES!!!! The car knocks, at first I thought that it was the push rods of the pistons or something with the valves. The previous owner told me that there was a big performance lag and he thought that the turbo went so he read about narrowing down the problem by discounting the Boost Control Valve. Then the mechanic I took it to listened to it with a stethascope and found the majority of the knocking coming straight from the turbo so I figured that the "fans" for lack of a better word were wobbleing and then hitting the sides of the walls. Also to note sometimes when I am driving the knocking goes away completely when I am going at a constant speed of about 35-40 MPH. The mechanic saw oil all over and he thought that the valve cover /crank cover gaskets wer leaking but then another friend noticed that the nipple and tubing that normally comes out of the ccrankcase to the oil trap are gone. Hense leaving a 3/4 inch hole on the side for oil to shoot out of. So according to your recommendation and financial limitations. I am going to start with updating the crankcase vent system kit. If I am reading the diagram correct then one of the hoses goes from the crankcase vent system to the Boost Control Valve which I guess is for vacuum or pressure purposes. So that means that I would want to replace the Boost Control Valve and all connecting hoses? Again, THANK OU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #6

Is it a knock or a tick? All the Saabs I've ever owned tick now and again. I'd definitely see where the crankcase update takes you. I don't trust your mechanic. Turbos don't knock. I think if the turbine were allowed to move off center enough to cause any audible sound that could be confused with a knock, you would have much bigger problems. Like oil dumping into your intake and or exhaust. Maybe a whine? Take a video of it if you can and post on here. Also, your motor doesn't have pushrods, its a double overhead cam system. Not being a pompous ass, I'm just correcting you so you know. Cause there are people out there who will be a pompous ass about it.

I'd bypass your Boost control valve... heres some technical info.

T7 Turbo Bypass Valve Mods – TrollTuner

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in