P0116 Woes - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

P0116 Woes

Hola. I bought a '02 vig in October. Ever since I bought it, the coolant temp would never ride over 8:00/8:30 on the gauge. I finally got around to flushing the coolant and replacing the tstat/coolant temp sensor about a month ago. As it got colder out the temp gauge wouldn't rise above 7:30. If cruising on the highway and ambient temps were below 35 degrees or lower the gauge plummeted, dead cold. Both before and after replacing the tstat/temp sensor. The car started throwing the cel about a week ago. I researched more and was told I replaced the temp sensor with the wrong part. I switched it the other day to the longer, skinnier sensor with the black end. But no difference. I'm stumped. How do I test the wiring on the temp sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

This sounds dumb, but are your fans stuck on? Is your climate control cycling the AC?
Does the heat blow warm? If it does, then you have an electrical problem. If it blows cold, then you have a mechanical problem. Simple as that.
-Cm
Old 01-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

It blows warm. No difference in ACC. Shouldn't the tstat override the fan even its running all the time?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 01-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

I meant hot; if it blows warm, or lukewarm, you have a mechanical problem, since the heat will blow warm-ish with the temp gauge at "cold". But if it blows hair-dryer hot or near that, the you definitely have a calibration problem with the sensors, or the wrong sensors.
-Cm
Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Alright. I did some testing tonight. I turned the heat to HI when I started the car tonight. It blew hot. But as I drove the car down the street into cold air, the air turned cold. When I stopped at the lights, the heat blew warm..

Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Same position on the tsat..8:00

Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #7

Sounds like bad luck! That T stat should pop @180 or so, but not before. Sounds like a failed T-stat (they fail open, so as the car moves the temp drops)
I know you just put one in, but, the ECU cannot, TMK, control the actual coolant temperature beyond the fans. if the fans are NOT cycling, then you are allowing too much coolant into the radiator too early==classic sign of popped T-stat.
-Cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in