Broken A/C compressor pulley removal - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only

Car Problems? NG900 or old 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your NG900 or 9-3, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Elder

Broken A/C compressor pulley removal

So my car started making this great rattling noise - I traced it down to the A/C compressor clutch going out.

After I ordered a new clutch kit, I took it apart. Turns out it was the pulley (broken) and that part of course you can't really buy without purchasing a new compressor ($$).

I went to U-pull and through some christmas miracle they had a Saab in the junkyard that had the pulley I needed.

So I have everything I need, but still have to retrieve the old inner part of the pulley that is still attached to the compressor...

Any ideas on how to get this out? The lip is very shallow, not sure a typical 2/3 jaw puller would be able to grab on. I think I will have to literally cut it off, trying not to damage.

Here are photos so everyone can be sympathetic for me:

This is the broken one, my finger is pointing to the inner portion of the pulley that broke at the spokes

This is the used one I got, you can see the bearing that should be coming out (I have a new bearing for it).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Ouch. Weld something to it? Give it a nice slice maybe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
Elder

The welding approach seems to be the easiest, minus the fact I don't have a welder.

Might be time to invest in one!

Old 08-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
SAABeginner

Welding cast iron is not easy, not the right thing to learn on. Additionally, it will put more heat into the compressor case that it can stand.

Are you sure you can't still grab the back of what is left? Even a small bite may be enough to dislodge it. I would apply your favorite penetrating oil to the nose of the shaft and try a 3 arm puller first.

If that doesn't work I would just pull the compressor and use a split bearing puller on a bench or in a hydraulic press.

I don't think there is really that much holding it on beyond corrosion. You can apply some heat but I would not put much into it. A quick shot with MAPP gas torch, say 20 seconds might be just enough to break the bond. Then it should pull with medium force.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

True ^ didn't think about the material. Heat and a hammer, you can get it. These pulleys go on and off by hand.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Elder

Eventually got it off last night although it took some doing.

I was not able to get enough lip to use the puller tool.

Ended up just using PB Blaster and heat, along with some little taps from a hammer. Lots of pulling and pushing, eventually it flung off.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

That's good. I'll have to remember to be reasonably delicate with the pulley from now on so I don't break it.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
Elder

It's annoying you can get a whole new clutch, but the pulley is basically no where to be found - have to buy a whole new compressor.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:58 AM   #9
Elder

Update for people coming across this in the future:

I put the new bearing in a used pulley from the junk yard, and used the new clutch parts I got off of eBay.

I put everything back together and found the clutch was not engaging - I tried engaging it manually by applying 12v to the wire going into the coil and it was not energizing.

Took it all back apart, and found that the coating on the coil was not letting it ground to the compressor to complete the circuit. Had to rough up the coating on the back side a bit so it would touch metal to metal and turn on.

I recommend testing the coil before you put everything back together to make sure your circuit works!

Total cost <$100.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in