01 9-5 3.0 another coolant temp sensor problem? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-5 '10+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-5 Only

Car Problems? New 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-5, post your question in here.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
SAABeginner

01 9-5 3.0 another coolant temp sensor problem?

Hi all,
I am fairly new to this site. I just got an '01 9-5 3.0 wagon. I love the car. Anyway, the hot water bypass valve sprung a leak. I replaced it with no problems except now, while I am driving the engine temperature gauge sometimes bottoms out. The A/C goes down and the engine light came on. If I turn off the car for 30 seconds and restart, all is fine. I can run it for 50 miles or 5 miles. No telling when it will happen again. Is it:
air in the system?
bad temp. sensor?
bad t'stat?
or something else. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

temp sensor. Stops your a/c and runs the cooling fan as a precaution because the ecu doesn't know how hot the engine is
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Elder

Also good idea to replace the t-stat and flush the cooling system (if you didn't when you replaced the heater by-pass valve) with the coolant temp sensor. Then you will be all set for several years - pending your hoses are intact and healthy.
for your repair needs

Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Second the temp sensor. Saab pn15393755, about $17. Since you have the 3.0L, thermostat housing is a royal pita to get at and change. They are very simple to change when doing a timing belt job, so tend to replace thermostat and water pump assembly when thats all torn down. Its pn90502201, about $95.
01 9-5 Wagon
03 9-5 Aero Sedan
05 9-5 Aero Sedan
06 9-3 2.0T Sedan
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Like the SAAB experts here are saying, its probably the tempsensor.

But here is what happend to me when I first started a 3.0, after a headgasket and oilcooler job.

I thought I got out all the air in the coolant system, and it was running fine. The temp needle went up and up and then bottomed out. I checked the engine temp with an IR meter, and it was normal, so I let it sit for the night, while I went home and ordered a tempsensor online.

Come back in the morning, and the engine had "burped", so just to have something to do while waiting for the sensor, I filled it up with coolant and let it run a little.

Now the temp was perfect, so I let it run more. It turned out that because I didn't bleed it with the bleed plug close to the temp sensor, there was air in that "tube" between the 2 heads. When the air was gone all was good, and the car has been running soon a year with the old sensor.

So I have one sensor for sale....hehe.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Elder

All wrong for a T7 car, Its the T-stat, If T7 senses that the temp is not going to operating temp ( too low) in the required amount of time, it drops the Temp gauge to zero, kinda as a visual its not up to temp indicator ( there is no light) Did you notice the temp not quite making it to the 9 o'clock position prior to this?, it woudl indicate a failing T-stat...

that said for the V6 if you are in there do them both its not worth the hassle of dong one then tearing it al down to do the other...
Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
All wrong for a T7 car, Its the T-stat, If T7 senses that the temp is not going to operating temp ( too low) in the required amount of time, it drops the Temp gauge to zero, kinda as a visual its not up to temp indicator ( there is no light) Did you notice the temp not quite making it to the 9 o'clock position prior to this?, it woudl indicate a failing T-stat...

that said for the V6 if you are in there do them both its not worth the hassle of dong one then tearing it al down to do the other...
I disagree. I have replaced several temp sensors to solve this problem successfully.

I've had temp sensor's go in and out on a test drive, and the needle will jump between normal and none and cause a cel related to open circuit, coolant temp sensor. I have not yet seen a failed t stat cause a full low warning, only a 1/4 way up the gauge or too slow to reach normal (and a cel sometimes for failed to reach operating temp in allotted time.)

I don't know of any 'feature' that T7 uses to give an exaggerated low temp signal for a thermostat failing. Where did you find mention of this?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
SAABeginner

What should it cost for t state, temp sensor replacement on 3.0?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #9

Hi I've got a Saab 95 on a 02 3.0 v6 tid had the head gasgets done temp gauge is fine sits on middle but message comes on centre display engine temp who's wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in