Anyone have knowledge of the smartbeam setup on a 2010 aero? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-5 '10+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-5 Only

Car Problems? New 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-5, post your question in here.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
Anyone have knowledge of the smartbeam setup on a 2010 aero?

I don't think they are being properly smart. They don't ever seem to to leave the "country road" (according to the laptop interface) mode, and as a result it flares the beam up on the sides, and results in me getting flashed a lot (not in a good way). Any thoughts? The aim is spot on.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Elder

Based on the responses i've received (none) i'm going to say no one knows, which is kinda where my dealership is at at this point lol. Theres apparently not much info on these for techs, they seem to be tackling and learning as things arise. Apparently US cars aren't even supposed to have the country road mode. The joys of a limited production launch model. GA, car to post a picture of your beam pattern against a wall with low beams on?
'01 Viggen (sold)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Elder

What interface are you using to view the data stream? I'm not expecting to get to play with one of these for several years at least, and doubt that I will upgrade the ship to the GM GDS scan system for them anyway.

You're right, there is very little information on the adaptive lighting programming logic in the service info, other than it does say US/Canadian models shouldn't have Town/Country/Tourist/Adverse Weather lighting options, but it's definitely possible the car was mis-programmed from the factory.

'Country' lighting mode should only be active between 31-62mph

See if your owner's manual has the section that tells you how to put it in 'Tourist' mode (meant for going to the UK, where it disables the upsweep pointed off to the right and raises the left light) and see what happens?

This is all there is on the logic of the adaptive forward lighting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAB
The adaptive forward lighting consist of the following components:

• Headlamp Control Module

• Headlamp actuator - left

• Headlamp actuator - right

Dynamic Curve Light

Bend lighting is a function depending on the following signal input values:

• Steering angle

• Vehicle speed

• Yaw Rate

The appropriate swivel angle is calculated based on vehicle speed and the steering angle value.

Town Light

Town Light is activated when the vehicle's speed is below 50 km/h (31 mph). Light distribution is reduced to a smaller area in front of the car with a wider light image due to low speed.

Motorway Light (not US/CA)

If vehicle speed is above 90/100 km/h (62 MPH) for a certain time (or once above 120/130 km/h (75/80 MPH) and the corresponding road category is identified, the headlamps will be switched to a motorway light distribution. During motorway light the light output of the HID bulb is increased to 38 W by electrical power management. This improves the visibility range at the far end of the road.

Country Light (not US/CA)

Country light replaces the current low beam and will be controlled based on programmable vehicle thresholds as well as corresponding road detection. The vehicle speed has to be between 50 km/h (31 MPH) and 100 km/h (62 MPH). Country light is the default light distribution at 35 W. Light distribution is reduced on the left side to prevent oncoming traffic from being dazzled.

Tourist mode (not US/CA)

The tourist mode functionality switches the adaptive forward lighting headlamps into a non dazzling mode, if the traffic regulation moves from left hand traffic to right hand traffic and vice versa. The function is switched on/off with the same stalk/switch combination. The "high beam flash" has to be activated with the ignition on (System Power Mode = RUN). The "high beam flash" remains activated until the warning indicator within the instrument panel cluster starts flashing (4 s) and an acoustic indication is sent. Then activation takes approx. 3 seconds. An activation flag must be set in the function for adaptive forward lighting ECM and stored in non-volatile memory. Each time the ignition is switched on and the tourist mode is active, the warning indicator is flashing about 4 s. The tourist mode is deactivated with the same procedure described above. The function is switched OFF, if an acoustic signal is sent (Warning indicator remains inactive).

Adverse Weather Light (not US/CA)

Adverse weather light will be switched on while the vehicle speed is below 100 km/h (62 MPH) and the windscreen wipers are activated. The HID bulbs will be powered with different values:

• Left: 38 W, Town Light distribution is adjusted 15 degrees to the left.

• Right: 38 W, Country Light distribution.

The main advantage is that reflections on the wet floor are reduced to a minimum. This is noticeable as well for oncoming traffic as for the driver. The area in front of the car becomes weaker but with a wider light image.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Elder

This sounds neat - but way to scary to think about when it breaks.... or when there is a fender bender and the light mounts get bumped off alignment....
for your repair needs
Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Elder

I used the GM GDS tool (nice to know people at Saab dealerships lol) and read the same stuff you did from WIS, although it does mention that the country light is the default lighting, so maybe thats how the US cars are, however it never goes into the town mode that i can tell. Maybe i need to try it after dark sometime? We ran the learn functions too and nothing really changed.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 02-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Elder

after driving them some you can't tell when they switch.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Elder

yeah, i just try to stare as i drive, with the lights forced (it was daylight) on and the GDS hooked up it never switched, not sure if manual or or daylight overrides the smart beam system though, i could be just paranoid, but i figured id investigate, can't hurt to gain some knowledge.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in