Can an ECU from an automatic be used in a manual? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Question Can an ECU from an automatic be used in a manual?

I have a manual 2004 9-3 arc convertible with gremlins in the ECU.
Besides stalling (with a few minute wait between allowing a re-start) the cruise control is dead and it throws a p0601 code.

Is the ECU the prime suspect, or are there other things to check first?

I can find many used ECU's on E-bay, but can only find ones from automatic sedans. They have the same part number 55353231.

Would there be any issues with remarrying them to my car?
Do they have to be divorced from the donor car first?

Thank you,

Last edited by Eisguy; 11-16-2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Clarity of problem
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

you cannot use a manual ECU with an auto.

you can, however, buy an auto ECU and have it sent to a tuner to be flashed for your car.

you can also try making a post in the Wanted section of this forum.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Elder

Actually you can. When the ECU is programmed to your car (requiring a dealer or qualified independent with a Tech2 and the correct software setup to give the Tech2 "Security Access" to your car) one of the programming steps is to select which transmission is fitted to the car, and the programming sets up the new ECU with the correct parameters.

The programming must be done regardless of the hardware configuration the 'donor' ECU Came from.

As Snowcat77 said, a tuner can correctly pre-configure an ECU also if you do not have easy access to a shop that can do the work.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
Actually you can. When the ECU is programmed to your car (requiring a dealer or qualified independent with a Tech2 and the correct software setup to give the Tech2 "Security Access" to your car) one of the programming steps is to select which transmission is fitted to the car, and the programming sets up the new ECU with the correct parameters.

The programming must be done regardless of the hardware configuration the 'donor' ECU Came from.

As Snowcat77 said, a tuner can correctly pre-configure an ECU also if you do not have easy access to a shop that can do the work.
Can you swap t-5 ecus without marrying it?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat77 View Post
Can you swap t-5 ecus without marrying it?
pretty sure i did this in my 1997 Tally several times with no issue. it was just plug and play as long as it was manual program for a manual or auto for an auto.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Elder

Yes, T5 can be swapped without coding, but the hardware configurations should match to make sure everything plays nice.

T7, T8, and ME9 all require programming when changing the ECM.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
pretty sure i did this in my 1997 Tally several times with no issue. it was just plug and play as long as it was manual program for a manual or auto for an auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
Yes, T5 can be swapped without coding, but the hardware configurations should match to make sure everything plays nice.

T7, T8, and ME9 all require programming when changing the ECM.
ok thats where i was a bit confused i was pretty sure i remembered doing that with my NGs. Im still learning the newer trionics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2004 saab 9-3, ecu, program

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in