Fuel pressure/Fuel pump P0089 issues - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Elder

Fuel pressure/Fuel pump P0089 issues

car is my dads 06 v6 aero with approx 130k miles.

the car is continuously throwing a P0089, clear it and it will stay off for a day or two and then come back. Manuals have sent us down the path of either the fuel pump or the pressure sensor at the engine. Last week, the pump was put through the tech 2 pressure test which involves running the pump at various speeds and measuring the fuel pressure. it passed with flying colors.

i do not know however, how the pressure is measured for that test (via a test port or via the stock sensor?) so im not sure if we have deduced this to the sensor completely or not...and at $400 for the sensor we dont want to make a mistake.

the fuel pump was replaced somewhere around 100k-ish due to a rats nest being built on the top f the tank and a feed line being eaten through. so im inclined to believe that the pump is ok.

any insight would be greatly appreciated!
-any other possible sources of the issue?
-and crossover prt numbers for the bosch sensor to save some money?
-anyone have a sensor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Elder

The pressure test reads off the stock sensor compared to a mechanical guage. The technician commands a pump delivery pressure and reads the variation between the commanded pressure, what the engine-mounted sensor, and the mechanical guage reads. There is an allowable deviation between the two.

P0089 90% of the time is the pump, though it's a good idea to change the pressure sensor at the same time (they used to be much cheaper). If neither of those fix the issue, then the pump speed control module (mounted above the tank) gets replaced, but I've never heard of anyone actually replacing one of those and having it be the root cause.

I'm pretty sure the pressure sensor is an AC Delco part and would have been used on a bunch of Cadillac and Opel and maybe Buick cars that run ME9.6 and maybe other engine management systems. You could also pull the sensor off your dad's and look for other interchange numbers besides the 12582232 that Saab lists. I believe you may need to remove the upper portion of the intake manifold to get to it, I can't remember.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Elder

so then it seems it doesnt make sense that the tech said the pump is fine?

it looked like the sensor was just held on with two screwd and is really easy to get off...just dont wanna drop 3-400 bucks and find out its the 900 dollar pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

My wife's 08 throws this code every 3-4 months. Never any driveability issues so we've ignored it. Per Drew, the sensor is def available as a non-saab part, I remember finding it for like $90 back when it first started lighting up the cel.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Elder

how long ago was that? i found a cross reference to a gm part, but it seems to be quite close in price.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Elder

I think the problem with the test procedure is that it happens with no load from the engine drawing the fuel pressure down. I had a few that the pump tested within spec, but replacing the pump fixed the fault. The pumps also used to be much cheaper, like $550.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in