New 9-3SS clutch issue - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

New 9-3SS clutch issue

Cross posting goodness.

Not mine, a facebook friend. He's got an 07 9-3SS Aero 6spd and his clutch pedal went straight to the floor.

These are hydraulic systems and the brake and clutch share a common master cylinder?

I'm asking about the slave cylinder, is it external or internal?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #2

Its internal, If the fluid didn't leak out, Try the master first, Its Dirt cheap. he can pinch the line & see if the pedal will move at all, If it woun't move the master if fine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll pass that along!

Old 04-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to BKDRFT68
I'm the one with the clutch problem

So it looks like the slave cylinder is the issue. Anyone know what the cost of this job is around? I'm not doing it myself due to the complexity of it.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Elder

the slave itself is cheap. problem is you have to remove the transmission...probably $600+ just in labor, unless it's covered by warranty
Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
TSLMember

Yikes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
the slave itself is cheap. problem is you have to remove the transmission...probably $600+ just in labor, unless it's covered by warranty
God, I hope my Indy won't charge me all that much (LOL). Warratny expired 13K ago
Old 04-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Elder

The slave for the 6-speed lists @ $272, eEuro has them a little cheaper, but I haven't used the brand that they carry before.

While it's off it's always a good idea to do the rear main seal, mounts if it needs them, stuff like that, if you're totally strapped for cash and do the bare minimum I'd be surprised if you could get it in and out of a shop for under $800 just to R&R the slave, that'd be a darn good price.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
The slave for the 6-speed lists @ $272, eEuro has them a little cheaper, but I haven't used the brand that they carry before.

While it's off it's always a good idea to do the rear main seal, mounts if it needs them, stuff like that, if you're totally strapped for cash and do the bare minimum I'd be surprised if you could get it in and out of a shop for under $800 just to R&R the slave, that'd be a darn good price.
Would you really do the rear main seal though? I mean though the car has 93K on it, it's only 4 years old . . .

Just curious. And as for cost, I was "hoping" $800 and change for the deal (LOL) I have a feeling it's going to be more like $1K
Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Elder

I have a feeling it's going to be more like $1200.

Paying the labor to pull the whole thing and NOT change the $25 (or whatever) oil seal is good sense, it may last another few years before it starts to leak, then you get to pay it again.

You may also only get a few more years our of your clutch (93k is usually getting up there in terms of how much friction material is left).

Going in with the mindset to do such a major job and cap your price as low as possible may get you un-happy if the tech finds other things that need replaced while they're in there. I always brace my customers for that possiblity, I have an E46 BMW in here that the guy thought '...Might just need an AMM, is misfires a little, and some guys on BIMMERFORUMS told me to replace the AMM...' which he has now found out it needs the complete oil trap kit, all 4 hoses, one upstream O2 sensor, and maybe a cat to stop it from misfiring... 'Surprise!!!'.... and $1400 later....

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
TSLMember

well $1000 and $1200 aren't that far off. I thought I'd have it figured out by now. I think I'll give it until 9am tomorrow morning and if I don't have an answer on it I'll just bring it to the dealer. LOL

Assuming it is the Slave Cylinder, it would be a 7.5hr job @ the going rate of 121/hr up this way it's just 900 for the labor . . .

THOUGH:: Digging a bit deaper at this, since it's been up, I noticed some fluid. If you were to look under the dashboard where the pedal contacts a boot that goes into the firewall, there is some fluid on the bottom part of the boot. I never noticed this before (not that I've had reason to examine it this thoroughly before either). I DO know that the master cylinder for the clutch is located on the opposite side of the firewall. Not sure if that means the hose popped off or what . . . BUT I will most definitely still fear the worst.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
TSLMember

It ended up being the Clutch Master Cylinder. This Master Cylinder did not leave a puddle/wet spot at all. The reservoir remained full. The issue was a slight crack in the "mini" reservoir, if you will within the Cylinder itself.

Symptoms:
Similar to a Clutch Slave Cylinder
No fluid appeared
Full Brake Fluid/Clutch Fluid reservoir
No signs of clutch failure
Clutch pedal immediately went to the floor with no resistance and did not come back up.
A slight wet spot observed at the boot under the dashboard, next to the carpet/fire wall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in