Need some MAJORR help - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Need some MAJORR help

I have a 2004 Saab 93. The other day i went to start the car and it wouldnt start. I figured it was a dead battery and went ahead and jumped it and the car started right up. I got to work, turned the car off and it wouldn't even try to start back up. After thinking i needed a new battery my infotainment system said immobilizer failure. Soooo i figured it was the security system but NOW when i put the key in the system says ECU not programmed. Sounds like another EXPENSIVE fix to me. So i'm trying to find the cheapest way out of this mess because i can't put money into fixing my car right now. would it work if i took the ECU out of a junked saab and put it in my car? or can i get a performance chip from Nortic or BSR and will that re-program it? any help would be awesome i love my saab and would hate to have to lose it because repairs are out of this world.
Any help would be awesome. Thanks, Austin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
SAAB Road Master

would it work if i took the ECU out of a junked saab and put it in my car? YES BUT YOU WILL NEED A TECH 2 WITH CANDI AND LINK TO SAAB SYS NETWORK...
or can i get a performance chip from Nortic or BSR and will that re-program it? IDK

try going step by step replace the battery check the fuses-- check for codes- etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Can you get the car started again?

If yes, disconnect the battery. If the car stays running it is probably just the battery.

If the car dies while the battery is disconnected it is probably the alternator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations

Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
SAABeginner

thanks a lot guys. i'll try the fuse idea. any more suggestions anyone? anybody know if the BSR or Nortic idea will work?

Thanks again
Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04saab93 View Post
thanks a lot guys. i'll try the fuse idea. any more suggestions anyone? anybody know if the BSR or Nortic idea will work?

Thanks again
You should find tha actual cause of the problem first. I doubt going with a nordic or BSR tune will solve the cause of this issue.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Elder

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT unhook the battery with the engine running EVER, it will seriously mess with the electronics in the car, and may damage the alternator.

This goes for nearly any car - the alternator charging circuit expects a certain resistance through the battery, and it may overload if you remove it from the system.

You may be interested in this thread:

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-3/index.html?bID=141271

Best,
Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Elder

Even if you had a Tech2 and CanDI box to program the ECU, you would also need access to the factory programming network to give the Tech2 security permission to program to the car, something only a dealer service department or well equipped independent will have.

The problem is probably not the ECU anyway though, they throw their own codes, not immobilizer codes - the one bad ECU in a T8 car I have seen just shut down the engine randomly, lit a check engine light for 'module internal fault' but didn't throw any immobilizer problems, it started fine.

I hate to break it to you, but you will likely be throwing money away trying to guess diagnosing this yourself without getting the body codes read, which can only be done with the Tech2.

The one thing that can cause that error that you could do yourself that doesn't need any programming is changing the ignition switch module itself in the center console - I think they are around $100 and not too difficult to change.

But.....

If you're getting immobilizer error usually that points to a problem with the CIM or the ignition switch itself (ISM - it reads the info in the key).

Low battery voltage or voltage disconnect while the car sits can also give erroneous immobilizer, stability control, and transmission failure warnings on the SID, if you suspect a dead battery try putting in a good one and see if it goes away.

Best,
Drew

Quote:

Last edited by DrewP; 05-27-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Elder

Don't forget the SCL is in there too! Sterring Collumn Lock Module.... it's tied in with the CIM (Collumn Integrated Module) and the ISM (Ignition System Module) and if one goes down they all do.... None are HARD to replace - just expensive and requires a TECH 2. You need to get a TECH 2 and pull codes - best way to DIAG this problem - do NOT throw parts at it. Sometimes you can get lucky and clear the codes and reprogram and update software in components to correct little glitches - other times this process actually will KILL a weak module.... Sport Sedan's suck b/c they are not the most user friendly car to DIAG and Repair sometimes unless you have a TECH 2...... I love my 9000 and V4
for your repair needs
Old 05-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Fast, easy, do it yourself option that has worked for me before; disconnect battery, walk away for 20 min. or so. During the 20, check/charge battery if it's suspect. Return to car, reinstall battery connections (maybe clean them if necessary), see what happens.

p.s. if this is the original battery, definitely just change it
Old 05-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #10

With a "Charged" battery. Key in or on if Possible, Unplug the CIM, The Connector on the right side of the steering column behind the Boot. Then try to cycle Key to start and or Flash the lights with the remote, Plug it back in, then unplug the battery to for a min, This has brought a Few Locked up CIMS back to life After locking up and Throwing Theft warning protection failure on the SID, for me over the years. "Column Integration Module"
Old 05-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Elder

Harvey,

I can't wait to try that, you are a wizard if that actually works. Any idea as to why?

Just cycling the power to the module to try to wake it back up?

Best,
Drew

Quote:
Old 05-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #12
TSLMember

04saab93, what happened next? Did you get the car going again?

Sure would be nice if peoples with problems can post the outcomes too...
Old 05-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
SAABeginner

Thank you SO MUCH everybody. I haven't gotten the car up and running yet i've been extremely busy but tonight when i get home from work i'm going to attempt all the suggestions (cept the one about running it with the battery unplugged. it wont start in the first place) and if i cant figure it out i may just have to rent another tow dolly and drag her up to the saab dealership, which scares me. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks again, Austin
Old 05-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
SAABeginner

by the way.. where is the CIM located?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Elder

Read this, from LostSaabKeys.com:

http://www.lostsaabkeys.com/cim_removal.html

Best,
Drew

Quote:
Old 05-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #16

The CIM is the Steering column housing. The part with the Turn & light stallks. The boot at the Base un snaps from it.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
SAABeginner

OK. finally figured it out. Terrible news. Apparently the main BUS that connects all the computers is fried so i have to replace that, reprogram all the computers, and apparently my starter and the wires going to it are totally fried and need replaced too. But i dont know thats what the Saab dealership said but i feel like I'm takin it pretty hard. They might as well have told me there are unicorns poking holes in my exhaust too but eventually its coming down to $1400 for everything. Ouch.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
SAABeginner

Thanks for all your help though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
9-3, ecu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in