Car sputters and dies at start - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Car sputters and dies at start

My 2009 9-3 2.0T automatic has done this twice in the past 3 months. When I start the car back up again, within 20-30 mins of shutting it off, it doesn't reach idle speed (maybe hits 500-600 rpm), and it sputters and dies. 2nd starting attempt, a little better, but still sputters and dies within a couple seconds. Third attempt, rough idle for a few seconds, then resumes normal idle. All this while in park. First time this happened was in colder weather (26-28 degrees), but it happened again tonight (70 degrees), so I don't think it's temperature related.

No check engine light or anything like that, once car is running, it idles, drives, and boosts normally. I reported it to the dealer after the first time, but they found nothing in a scan and just told me it was an electronic glitch. Now that it's happened again I'm concerned, especially because my car is brand new. My thoughts go to a fuel system issue, but that's just my gut feeling.

Any ideas anyone? Anyone else experience something similar? This is disconcerting with such a new car. Thanks.
2001 9-3 Viggen Vert
2009 9-3 Turbo4 - Stage 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
SAAB Road Master

hmmm i usually let the car click to ignition wait 10 secounds for the lights on the dash to come on then off.. then start the car... 2.8t thou... try that... let it have time to check everything and cycle through its process before telling it to just start..?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabservicewriter View Post
hmmm i usually let the car click to ignition wait 10 secounds for the lights on the dash to come on then off.. then start the car... 2.8t thou... try that... let it have time to check everything and cycle through its process before telling it to just start..?

Hmm ok sounds like a good habit to form, thanks.
2001 9-3 Viggen Vert

Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Elder

2009 eh - got a warranty? Why are you trying to fix it - take it to the dealer and tell them you want to know what it was.....
for your repair needs
Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedespeed7 View Post
My 2009 9-3 2.0T automatic has done this twice in the past 3 months. When I start the car back up again, within 20-30 mins of shutting it off, it doesn't reach idle speed (maybe hits 500-600 rpm), and it sputters and dies. 2nd starting attempt, a little better, but still sputters and dies within a couple seconds. Third attempt, rough idle for a few seconds, then resumes normal idle. All this while in park. First time this happened was in colder weather (26-28 degrees), but it happened again tonight (70 degrees), so I don't think it's temperature related.

No check engine light or anything like that, once car is running, it idles, drives, and boosts normally. I reported it to the dealer after the first time, but they found nothing in a scan and just told me it was an electronic glitch. Now that it's happened again I'm concerned, especially because my car is brand new. My thoughts go to a fuel system issue, but that's just my gut feeling.

Any ideas anyone? Anyone else experience something similar? This is disconcerting with such a new car. Thanks.

I already did, they told me it was essentially an electronic fluke, a one-time thing. They weren't much help at all.
2001 9-3 Viggen Vert

Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Elder

they just don't want to fix the car
Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legit View Post
they just don't want to fix the car

Yeah the dealer, at least the one I've been going to, hasn't been very accommodating so far. Hopefully that will change, or maybe I need to switch dealers for service.
2001 9-3 Viggen Vert

Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedespeed7 View Post
Yeah the dealer, at least the one I've been going to, hasn't been very accommodating so far. Hopefully that will change, or maybe I need to switch dealers for service.
This sounds like the plan - I'd find a dealership who wants your business and go there. There are plenty of techs standing around waiting to put warranty parts on cars right now... at the least they could be tossing new random parts onto it with the intent to repair. Sounds like the other dealership wasn't interested in your warranty work - just wants cash work (blind-sided)
for your repair needs
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

Anyone have a good experience with dealers in Chicagoland?
2001 9-3 Viggen Vert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in