After dead battery rough idle limp mode. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to fretrunner9000 Send a message via MSN to fretrunner9000
After dead battery rough idle limp mode.

So i went to get my iPhone replaced at the mall today (sleep wake button wore out). Good news was it was covered on the warnty and they just handed me a new phone. Sweet.

Bad News.

When i returned to my car i tried to started and... Dead.

Shit. AAA card is in my subaru annnnd i just got a new phone so i have 0 numbers.

So i track down a parking garge guy and he jumps in his little buggie and goes to get the little portable jumper. After 6 or 7 tries no dice. Just light in the car and no crank.

I realized the only number i know off the top of my head is my brothers b/c its my old one so i give him a ring. Finally get in touch with mom/ AAA and they come jump the car.

Once its up and running the Idle is WAY high. Almost 2 grand. When i put in reverse it stumbled really hard. I proceeded to drive home from prov. in total limp mode. When i got sick of it after about half an hour i pulled in a gas station and turned it off and turned it on again. This time it stumbled and stalled. Had to start it and rev a bit for it to stay idling.

Drove the rest of the way home barely going 55.

This is the same battery i had to charge and jump after i stored it. New battery is probably in order... but why the stumbling and limp mode?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 93 Linear Stage 2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Elder

as a guess you fried something. i know that for some reason you are NOT supposed to jump 9-3's, but i dont remember why...
Old 04-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
My car is pretty grumpy after you unhook the battery...

Maybe it's still adapting?

Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Elder

i think it has to do with the grounding of the system...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to fretrunner9000 Send a message via MSN to fretrunner9000
your not supposed to jump 9-3s?

wtf is that? Are you just supposed to buy a new battery every time?

It also has a CEL too. Forgot that bit. Any recommendations on what to do now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 93 Linear Stage 2
Old 04-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Elder

stealership
Old 04-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
stealership
x2

not so much buy a new battery but just recharge the one you have then place back in the car or...

i think there is a special way to jump them. the dealership/manual should tell you how.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #8

well. Disconnected the battery for about half an hour to reset the ECU.

Seems alright for now. Boosted like SOB in the cool air while adapting too. Me want stage 3.

Still might bring it in to be checked out.

Damn advanced computer systems.

2003 93 Linear Stage 2
Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Elder

your welcome

Old 04-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
did you still throw a CEL after letting it sit unplugged for 30min? if you still have a code, get that checked out and cleared.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
I have a OBDII reader and will be en-route to umd friday if you wanna meet somewhere for a quick second

Last edited by viggenkid; 04-01-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #12

nope, no CEL after either. Atleast not after a drive around the block. Will keep updated tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer though viggenkid

2003 93 Linear Stage 2
Old 04-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
Elder

*smacks forehead*

i think my obd2 reader is somewhere in my room....

Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #14

haha! welllll hopefully i wont need it. Ill keep ya posted though.

2003 93 Linear Stage 2
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
JZW
Elder

WHen a battery goes dead, the ecu will lose its data and it can take up to 100 miles to adapt all the stuff back, warm up, idle, boost, fans on, fans off, heat on, heat off and ac...

I would say once you re-set the ecu, do some adaptation pulls on the highway in 4th gear from 2700-3500rpm and do it at least 3-5 times and let if cool off between pulls. It has to take a full 3 seconds at wot from 2700-3250rpm for the adaptation in the ecu to be triggered...

Good Luck,

John
Old 04-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #16

well there is still no CEL. But the SIS has said twice now in 3 days that i should take it into services.

My gas mileage is also shit. Today i averaged 26 mpg on the high way when i normally get 30-32.

It feels like it might be a mis fire.... hopefully just the spark plugs. But wouldnt that throw a CEL?

2003 93 Linear Stage 2
Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM   #17
JZW
Elder

Bad gas mileage can come from a few things and if you're plugs are good and the di is good, the next most logical place is the coolant temp sensor that controls mixture, its the one in the intake manifold, the one on the side of the head does the temp gage in the car.

After that, the 02 sensor is a big one that will give crappy gas mileage and they get lazy and will sometimes not throw a cel if its still kind of working.

After that, a blown fuel pressure regulator will cause bad milage, check to see if fuel is in the vacuum line, if it is, the diaphram is blown.

Good Luck,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in