Suspension, Door Locks, and Sun Roof - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Car Problems? New 9-3 Only

Car Problems? New 9-3 Only If you're experiencing problems with your new 9-3 post your questions in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Suspension, Door Locks, and Sun Roof

First time posting...

I bought a 2006 9-3 Aero Sportcombi MT (my first Saab) about 15 months ago, and I have been trying to sort out a few problems to get it back in shape. I got it with 120K miles, and I now have about 140K on the clock. I'm the third owner, and I don't have many service records from previous owners. I bought it in southern California, where it lived all of it's life before I brought it to NW Pennsylvania. I've handled a number of problems myself, but I think I need the help of this group for a few relatively minor issues, for which mechanic diagnostic might not make economic sense.

1) I have had noise coming from the front that has sounded like loose suspension components. It has been a metalic noise that I thought was bad tie rods. I replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends as well as the sway bar end links on both sides, and the noise has improved dramatically, but I am still getting a similar, but duller, noise when going over small road imperfections. Now I am thinking sway bar bushings, or strut bushings. The control arm bushings look to be OK, but I guess they could be responsible, too. Thoughts? What am I missing?

2) The sun roof has not worked since I got it, and the previous owner could not remember if it ever worked for him. Fortunately, it is closed and the seal is tight. The dome front lights work, but I get nothing from the sunroof motor. I checked fuses several months ago, and I don't think that was the issue. Could it be the sunroof control switch? Bad motor? Wiring?

3) I know that the power door locks are dodgy on these, and mine seems to have the same gremlins... The power locks work most of the time, but sometimes the two rear doors and/or the passenger side front door locks do not respond to the key fob or the door switch. Seems to be weather related, but I can't say for sure if it is a temperature or a humidity thing. I can still manually lock/unlock 2 of the 3 doors (more on that in a minute), and since the power locks still work occasionally, I think the solenoids are still OK. Power windows have never been an issue. Seems to be an electrical issue. I've looked at the connectors near the door hinges, and all pins look to be OK, dry, and making good contact. What about electrical connections within the doors? Moisture inside the door panels affecting those connections?

4) The door lock problem is not new, and the previous owner tried to fix it himself. Unfortunately, he managed to bung up the passenger side rear lock mechanism such that neither the power lock, nor the manual lock works, and the door is locked in the closed position. I've seen videos/DIY photo guides for opening the door panels and getting to the door lock mechanisms, but is it possible to do this with the door closed?

I really LOVE this car. None of these problems are major, right now, since it's generally just me in the car. That said, I'm dedicated to getting it back to full working order and keeping it on the road for thousands more miles!

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to give me some guidance on these issues!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
Elder

RE: Front suspension knocking Check your springs, they often break ( known issue) look at the very bottom near the seat.

Not sure about your other issues but I can;t think of a way to pull the door panels wiht the door closed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in