Car keeps dieing on me at random (long but detailed) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Car Problems? Classic 900 Only

Car Problems? Classic 900 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Classic 900, post your question in here.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to QC DSM ESiT
Car keeps dieing on me at random (long but detailed)

Okay so I was driving along to school and from my house to school is like a 20min. drive and it was driving fine the entire way there untill I got to the enterence. Then it just died and no matter what I did it wouldn't start back up. It would crank but not start. So I have a buddy of mine pull me to the auto deptartment of my school and we start to diagnose it. I threw a battery charger on it because I kept chanking it while I was sitting there on the roadside before. I then checked to see if there is spark. That was okay so for the hell of it I just try to start the thing. I left the battery charger on while I was doing that. After about 5 sec. of cranking it started up. Not sure what was going on I took it home and on the way home it was driving just like it used to. I then drive it a couple more days with no problems. Then with no warning I was driving to school again and it just up and dies on me again WTF. So now I was really pissed off because it was like -6 F and had to have the thing towed back to my house. I left the hazards on because it was on a busy street. So the battery was dead again. I put the battery on a charger and then put it back in the car to see if it would start at all. Sure enough with like no hesitation the car starts right up. I then grad a multimeter and see what the battery voltage is with the engine off. It is 12.5V which is about normal so hoping that is was the alternator that is messed up I then go and test the voltage with the engine running but that was 13.8V which should be normal too. So I'm figuring its not the alternator. So my next guess is that the fuel pump is starting to go out on me. If you guys know what might help to get this thing fixed it would be much appreciated because my summer car is horrible in the snow. Thanks in advance guys.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Previous to it dieing on you did it do anything funny like the radio got fuzzy or died out or the gauges started acting funny? MY '86 did that when the battery was on its way out. One time i would check it and it was fine and then I would randomly check it and it would only e sitting at like 10.5V and when running only like 12.5V and eventually it died completly leaving me stranded in the parking lot of a Chili's (after I pushed it for 1/2 a block).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

How much gas is in the tank?

Check the fuel pump of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via MSN to Passion4_900
My '92 N/A c900 gave me problems like that and it turned out to be the fuel pump.....

How I found out it was the fuel pump?

Well after a while of random "quitting on me" it eventualy quit for good. After a decent amount of troubleshooting, I sprayed carb cleaner in the intake and it would start on the first crank. This told me that it was basicaly fuel starvation. So I ordered a new pump and it turned out the old pump had a "dead" spot and if I would turn off the car right on the spot in the rotation of the little electrical motor inside the pump, it wouldnt budge. I would turn the fuel pump manualy with my hand and it would work again.....

Also check all your electrical that you dont have any loose connections or bad grounds...
Old 12-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
very common problem- the fuel pump. It could also be some other random K-jet related failure but there is a chance it could be the fuel pump. need to do a proper diagnosis to figure this out or it's "just guessing"
Old 12-14-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
Ken
SAABeginner

Try the hall sensor plug on the distributor. If it is cracked and the connection is bad, the car will be dead in the water. If it's a turbo the boost pressure unit under the dash could be malfunctioning. Thinking you were in an overboost situation it will cut the fuel pump. Just a couple of ideas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in