White Smoke? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Car Problems? Classic 900 Only

Car Problems? Classic 900 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Classic 900, post your question in here.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
TSLMember

White Smoke?

My 1990 T just started bellowing white smoke when I start the car. Smoke smells sweet- coolant. I have a loss in the cooling res. and have to keep filling it. Just was in shop to repair heater valve that broke. My heater does not operate now as well.

What is wrong with the car? Can my head gasket be going bad? only have 135 K on the car?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsnowshoe View Post
My 1990 T just started bellowing white smoke when I start the car. Smoke smells sweet- coolant. I have a loss in the cooling res. and have to keep filling it. Just was in shop to repair heater valve that broke. My heater does not operate now as well.

What is wrong with the car? Can my head gasket be going bad? only have 135 K on the car?
It sounds to me like head gasket, or the turbo has gone south. White smoke means you are burning coolant. Whether the coolant is burning in the cylinder, or burning inside the turbo is the question.

Pull your spark plugs and look for one that's different from the rest. You can also use a small flashlight to peer down inside the spark plug hole and inspect the top of the piston. If you have a REAL clean looking plug, or a piston that looks much newer than the rest, then its the head gasket. It means you have literally steam-cleaned the top of the piston and the spark plug, with the burning coolant. If your plugs, and piston tops look good, then remove the duct pipe from the INLET to the turbo. Reach in and grab the shaft of the turbo with your fingers and try to wiggle it up and down, then try to pull it in, and out. You should have a little bit of lateral movement, but you should have virtually NO thrust (in-out) movement. If the shaft is all over the place, the turbo could be your culprit.

Report back...
Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
TSLMember

Is there any white, milky junk on the dipstick tube or under the oil cap? Although at this point, if you losing coolant it has to be going somewhere. How's the engine temp?

Why don't you just bring the dam car over so I can take a look?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
TSLMember

No milky junk on the dipstick. Car runs rough when it starts but runs fine after 30 seconds. Engine temp is perfect. I will look under the oil cap next. Replaced plugs last weekend and plug #1 was fouled. Other plugs were fine?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Elder

Sounds to me like the HG is leaking into a cylinder. You may not see any coolant in the oil. Before you start the car in the morning, pull the plugs and stick a length of cotton rope into each cylinder and see if the end comes up wet. Also check to see if there is white residue around the manifold/turbo joint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Dunno if this is helpful, but with my 81 turbo 8V car, I get a lot of white smoke after starting that lasts for anything up to 10 mins when it's really cold and/or humid.

The engine also uses a heap of oil and it isn't appearing to leak out anywhere external, with the consensus being worn piston rings and/or worn valve guides. I get a lot of oil buildup in the air filter box via the crankcase breather but it's not like a massive puddle - just an all-over coating inside the intake piping, snorkel, filter box, etc.

I get no milkiness in the oil , no bubbling in the coolant. The coolant system does seem to be over-pressurising as when I get home from work (85 km drive) the cap has leaked (not a lot, but it has) and I'm guessing that's from the safety vent valve in the cap.

Not sure with an 8V if it's possible to try the string test to see if there's coolant in the cylinders when the engine has cooled down, but I might pull the plugs to see if any look different to the others.

Good way perhaps to tell what's in the white smoke is to take a piece of clean copy paper and hold it in the exhaust stream for say 30 seconds, then see what is on the paper. Also see if the exhaust smells oily (mine does).

Apparently if it's oil loss through the engine the exhaust can contain oil vapour but not enough to actually be visible to the driver.

Craig.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
c900 Grognard
Elder

What they said. I would add, once you've determined if it is the headgasket, I would fix it sooner rather than later before things get worse. If you can see the steam coming out in the exhaust, it is probably a big leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in