need new glass for SPG... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Car Problems? Classic 900 Only

Car Problems? Classic 900 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Classic 900, post your question in here.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

need new glass for SPG...

I got the dreaded scratches on both of my front windows. I Could buy the glass for 90 bucks two years ago and now i can't find it anywhere. Dealers say not available. - Anyone have any? Know of someone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Elder

hmmmm......

MY spg has this issue, but i think thats because moving the window up and down is scratching the tint.

I will look into this, i have no idea where to get new glass, but i know someone who might know
JP

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green9kAERO View Post
hmmmm......

MY spg has this issue, but i think thats because moving the window up and down is scratching the tint.

I will look into this, i have no idea where to get new glass, but i know someone who might know
JP
It has happened to almost all of mine. I usually pull out the clips that hold the weather strip ion the door. that's what does it, but it was fine, then it only took one time the catch the clip I thought i had already taken it out. I guess i missed one.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Hey Paul,

I have the same issue. Most likely, I'll try and pick up a decent pair at the local pick a part yard...

Good luck,

Jitters

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Elder

can it not be polished out?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
can it not be polished out?
They are deep. Even if it was polished they'd be really distorted, but they are bad enough that it might be non-repairable. I'd rather just replace them if possible.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Yes, those darn clips. 80's GM cars, and C-900 Saabs almost always start picking up these scratches eventually. There is actually a TSB about this that says when you replace the glass you should replace the clips with some that have the lower edge shaved down about 1/2 way. Once they wear through the rub strip felt, metal on glass contact causes these scratches.

On my 88 SPG when I replaced the glass I took out the window wipe strips and shaved the clips down in the grinder. Popped it all back together and installed the new glass, and it's been scratch free ever since. It's a shame something so simple caused such a widespread problem, but that's Saab for ya

I would suggest getting some glass from your local U pull it. If you find a later car, or even just a car with low mileage there is pretty a good chance the glass is still good. When you install it, pop off your wipe strip and grind down the lower edge of the clips. You should be good for the rest of the cars life...

Last edited by DeLorean; 03-19-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
I have glass out of a 93 900s hatch

^CLICK ME^
Old 03-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
I have glass out of a 93 900s hatch
Is it scratch free Bronze? If so PM me and we can work on a deal....

Old 03-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
Elder

does the post office charge you any extra if you say the contents are fragile?
JP

Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #11
Elder

I could send you a set of good used 100% scratch free bronze tint glass for $90 each, though I'd want actual shipping charges too (probably about $40-50 for something that large and "oversize"). It would be "like new" though.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

There is an 89 SPG in my local salvage yard. Let me know if you want me to get you some glass. Shipping would be from Florida 32168

Former: '97 9000 CS, '94 900 CV, '91 900 SPG,
'80 900 T, '79 900 EMS
Old 03-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
I could send you a set of good used 100% scratch free bronze tint glass for $90 each, though I'd want actual shipping charges too (probably about $40-50 for something that large and "oversize"). It would be "like new" though.
If you can get me a shipping price to 15701, then i'll let you know if i can swing it. I'd like to get them under $200 total if they are used. They would also have the be perfect, with no defects at all. I'm pretty picky about the details. lol

Old 03-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88SPG View Post
There is an 89 SPG in my local salvage yard. Let me know if you want me to get you some glass. Shipping would be from Florida 32168
I'm really trying to find either perfect used ones or new, if they are perfect ,then let me know a price to get to 15701...

Someone suggested tooth paste to get rid of them, It didn't even come close to working the way i was doing it. Dam these scratches!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Campagna View Post
They would also have the be perfect, with no defects at all. I'm pretty picky about the details. lol
Understood, they would be. I will see what I have next time I am down in Philly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in