not getting fuel....88 spg - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Car Problems? Classic 900 Only

Car Problems? Classic 900 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Classic 900, post your question in here.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
TSLMember

not getting fuel....88 spg

Soooo, today was beautiful day to pick the spg up from the shop, unfortunately she died after about 35 miles, a tow-truck and some tinkering by my mechanic, and it "seems" to be the fuel pump/pumps. bad news is for the big pump is about 400 bucks and a little more than half of that for the small one...anyone have some used ones kicking around or any ideas where i could find some?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Soooo, today was beautiful day to pick the spg up from the shop, unfortunately she died after about 35 miles, a tow-truck and some tinkering by my mechanic, and it "seems" to be the fuel pump/pumps. bad news is for the big pump is about 400 bucks and a little more than half of that for the small one...anyone have some used ones kicking around or any ideas where i could find some?
Hey Gunfighter,

Eeuroparts has the main pump for $182 and the pre-pump for $45.

Hope that helps...

Jitters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
TSLMember

hey thanks Jitters, she oughta be up and running in no time!

Old 03-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Elder

I do have an 88-89 pre-pump from Advanced Auto, the parts store gave me the wrong one (I have an N/A). Autozone has the main pump, Walbro pump, is fairly generic. It is doable as a DIY, the hard part is the ring around the pump.

Be careful of the barbs and connections on the underside of the pump top.

Let me know if you want the pre-pump.

Quote:
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 03-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Elder

I have a turd '86 SPG sitting in my driveway with good fuel pumps; you're welcome to them if you want to remove 'em.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
hey thanks Jitters, she oughta be up and running in no time!

Good luck. Hope you get it fixed soon...

Jitters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI009DZ View Post
I have a turd '86 SPG sitting in my driveway with good fuel pumps; you're welcome to them if you want to remove 'em.
Whatever happened with that, anyway? Take the trans for your 'vert?

/threadjack

Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig View Post
Whatever happened with that, anyway? Take the trans for your 'vert?

/threadjack
still sitting there....I got it running the other day, but it would only stay running around 4krpm. sounded great. Sold the airflow covers, SPG kit, shelbys, and I'll just pull the trans for the vert. Apparently it was good. Bill (8valvegrowl) said he'd come over to help with the extraction. Hoping to get to it maybe this weekend.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
TSLMember

well at this point i have the secondary fuel pump installed. getting fuel now but still wont start. Im going to install the primary (even though i hear it running). But i think the problem may be with the ECU, unfortunately i dont have another 88 turbo around to test my ECU in to see if thats the problem. Is the ECU good in your 86? and are they interchangeable. i would be willing to come get the fuel pump from you if you are cool with that. i bought a new sec. but the primary is like 185 bucks if i could a good used one that would be way better. so now i got fuel....but still wont run....bah!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
TSLMember

also could the primary fuel pump still sound like its running but not be working? at this point i have changed the fuel filter and the secondary pump, i assume if im getting fuel, then the primary must be working....? so im at the point where i think it is the ECU....anyone got an 88 turbo ECU around?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
Elder

The car is sitting here....help yourself to whatever you need off it, if the parts will work.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Quote:
well at this point i have the secondary fuel pump installed. getting fuel now but still wont start. Im going to install the primary (even though i hear it running). But i think the problem may be with the ECU, unfortunately i dont have another 88 turbo around to test my ECU in to see if thats the problem. Is the ECU good in your 86? and are they interchangeable. i would be willing to come get the fuel pump from you if you are cool with that. i bought a new sec. but the primary is like 185 bucks if i could a good used one that would be way better. so now i got fuel....but still wont run....bah!
Hey Gunfighter,

Are you sure you're getting fuel pressure at the fuel rail? All I did was crack the line at the rail and cranked the engine. You'll know immediately if you have pressure or not. Secondly, if you find that you are getting enough fuel pressure, here are a couple of quick checks to see whether or not your issue is ECU related.

First you'll check the injector signal to see if you're getting the required voltage. All that is required for this step is to measure the voltage across both of the injector leads while cranking the engine. You should see at least 1v since the engine is cold. If this test checks positive, then the ECU and relays are basically okay. My injector signal was something like .045v, which was way off the mark. So that is what led me to believe my ECU was shot, which in my case, was the correct analysis.

The second quick check is to measure power to the injector. All that's required here is to take the (+)positive lead of the MM and connect it to the blue/red lead of the injector while connecting the (-)negative lead to a good ground. Also, this is done while cranking the engine. You should be getting battery voltage to the injector.

So primarily if you are getting the required 1v signal and battery voltage to the injectors, you probably don't need an ECU.

I know this might sound stupid but also check fuse #22 and #30 to make sure their not blown...just thought I'd throw that in there for good measure.... You'd be surprised...

Lastly, are you sure you're getting spark to the plugs as well. I'm not insinuating that you don't know what you're doing, just trying to be helpful.

Let me know what you find and good luck...

Jitters

Last edited by Jitters; 03-18-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:46 AM   #13
TSLMember

its okay man if i was an expert i wouldnt be asking for help, this has all been very helpful and a learning experience (im actually writing this down before i head to work so can check when i get to the shop) thanks again! later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in