back-pressure - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Car Problems? Classic 900 Only

Car Problems? Classic 900 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Classic 900, post your question in here.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
TSLMember

back-pressure

so i bought an 88 spg and it had what looked to be a home-made cat-back exhaust on it. My mechanic said that, the 3 inch pipe coming off the cat was actually reducing HP, because of a back pressure issue because the pipe after the cat was larger than the pipe before the cat. Im not really knowledgeable about these things so i was hoping someone could tell me if this sounds right? i took the exhaust off, and replaced with a new stock turbo exhaust (i still have the other exhaust). it seems more responsive to the pedal now. less delay it seems. with the other exhaust if i feathered the pedal it would almost stall out at idle, doesnt seem to do that now....any thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Hey Gunfighter,

Well, it appear as though the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. I'm no expert at all regarding the exhaust on these cars but looks like you already have your answers. If you can feel the difference in performance, then there's not much else anyone can say...

I'm actually, now that I have the Saaby back on the road, getting ready to upgrade from 2.5" to full 3" exhaust. From what I've been told, these turbos breath better with larger exhaust. This includes having a downpipe included in the system. I Recall that when I went and had my 2.5" exhaust installed, my muffler guy said the same thing.

Congrats...

Jitters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
TSLMember

Well I have 3" custom exhaust, though i had a few problems with it scraping. But im sure with some extra hangers it would be fine, has a Flowmaster muffler, and it does sound nice (probably better with a complete 3" unit). Ill take some pics so you can check it out. Like i said i dont think it works well with a stock downpipe but probably would be nice for a complete 3". ill take some pics.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

That I'd have to agree with. There would be no way that I would do a 3" without the complete DP. Doesn't make sense. But who am I...just another Saab junkie...

Have a good one...

Jitters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Elder

NAs like Equal length headers, turbos dont really care, just want the Exaust to go away as fast as possible.

to my knowledge every NA saab i have had has been faster with open manafolds. the reason you need some type of exaust coming off the head is if you dont the valves heat up and cool down constantly and eventually break. thats what i was always told atleast

JP

Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41098

Read and make your own judgment.

turbo really doesn't matter, but n/a it can make a night and day difference.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by '96Saab9kAero View Post
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41098

Read and make your own judgment.

turbo really doesn't matter, but n/a it can make a night and day difference.
Thanks,

Definitely and interesting read. Very informative.

Jitters

Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
JK
Elder

On a turbo car the turbocharger itself creates all the backpressure the motor needs. From there dump it into some big tubing and be happy.

It's an overly simplistic explanation, but for that most part that is just how it is.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
On a turbo car the turbocharger itself creates all the backpressure the motor needs. From there dump it into some big tubing and be happy.

It's an overly simplistic explanation, but for that most part that is just how it is.
You are absolutely correct. I found out after having my exhaust replaced. The muffler tech told me that I shouldn't go larger due to the backpressure issue. I learned later, from one of the Porsche forums that the turbo itself provides the needed backpressure. I currently run a 4" exhaust on my 930 with no issues whatsoever...

Jitters

Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
TSLMember

well maybe the culprit was the cobbed exhaust. good to know about the turbo creating the back pressure...i had no idea. learn something new everyday here, thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in