Stranded - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Car Problems? Classic 900 Only

Car Problems? Classic 900 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Classic 900, post your question in here.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Stranded

Well,

While on my way home from work today. I noticed that the car sort of missed/hesitated for a quick second on the freeway. Not long after that the car just died. So I had it towed home and once I got it off of the tow truck, it started right up. It ran for a few minutes then died again.

I guess, I'll have to get up in the morning and do some diagnostics...The car has been running perfect up to this point.

Jitters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
May be a shot in the dark but you may want to swap out your football relay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
Fuel pump time

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold

Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
SAABeginner

yep..sounds like what happened to mine a few months ago.. running fine..stopped in to the doctors to set an appointment.. came out.. wouldn't start..

I had felt it hesitate once just prior to arriving at docs..

it's fine now..
Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Elder

Bang on the tank next time it happens.

^CLICK ME^
Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Yeah, I kinda figured as much. I noticed on several occasions you could actually hear the fuel pump. There are times when it has been loader than others...

Everything else has been changed with the exception of the FP. When I get up in the morning I'll double check it just to make sure...

Thanks for the insight fella's. Well, Green Acres is on so I gotta split....

Peace out...

Jitters

Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
Bang on the tank next time it happens.
Okay Drew,

You're killin me guy. What the heck is a Football relay...and what will bangin on the tank do?

Jitters

Old 03-14-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Banging on the tank may, if its a dying fuel pump, get the pump rotor to move off of set of bad winding on the motor hence getting you to start again. It's sort of a temporary fix if you get lucky.

As for the relay I have no clue jitters.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

The fuel pump is in-tank. Hitting it can sometimes start it up. Its true that hitting parts of your car does help fix some things. I remember back in automotive school when a car wouldn't start. My teacher gave us a long heavy pole and told us to whack the starter while another guy turned the key to start. After some whacks, the car started.

If the football relay is no luck, check the tennis ball relay.

Last edited by Guteman; 03-14-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Banging on the tank may, if its a dying fuel pump, get the pump rotor to move off of set of bad winding on the motor hence getting you to start again. It's sort of a temporary fix if you get lucky.

As for the relay I have no clue jitters.
Thanks Nahum,

I'll give it a shot...still would like to know what the heck a Football relay is...

I also just realized that yesterday was Friday the 13th...should've stayed at home...

Jitters

Old 03-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guteman View Post
The fuel pump is in-tank. Hitting it can sometimes start it up. Its true that hitting parts of your car does help fix some things. I remember back in automotive school when a car wouldn't start. My teacher gave us a long heavy pole and told us to whack the starter while another guy turned the key to start. After some whacks, the car started.

If the football relay is no luck, check the tennis ball relay.
Hey Guteman,

Thanks guy. I just finished checking the football relay but no luck. So I'll check the tennis ball relay next and let you know what I find.

Jitters

Old 03-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Well folks, I just finished checking to see if I'm getting spark. Also checked to see if fuel is being delivered to the fuel rail, and it is. I also checked the injector signal, while cranking, and there doesn't appear to be that much voltage present. Somewhere in the ma range. According to the info I've run across, it should be somewhere around 1v when the engine is cold and .3v when hot.

I also checked the power to the injectors and there was no voltage. I did this by placing the positive lead of the MM on the blue/red lead on the injector and the negative connected to ground. Did while cranking.

Also, checked the AMM voltage and it is good.

Sort of running out of ideas here. Also, could it be possible that the fuel chip I installed could be faulty?

Thanks,

Jitters

Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
Okay Drew,

You're killin me guy. What the heck is a Football relay...and what will bangin on the tank do?

Jitters

Football relay also known as the ignition relay in the drivers fender well. Its made by bosch i believe.

^CLICK ME^
Old 03-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Saabotaged900T
Do you mean the ignition amplifier?

Does your tach bounce when you try to start it? If not check your hall sensor, sounds like what my 9000 is doing.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabotaged900T View Post
Do you mean the ignition amplifier?

Does your tach bounce when you try to start it? If not check your hall sensor, sounds like what my 9000 is doing.
Yes it does...

I believe it's gotta be fuel related. Not 100% sure but I'm leaning more towards that than anything else at the moment. I'm getting ready to see if I can check the relays located above the ECU. Wish me luck cause I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing...

BTW, I pulled the fuel rail and injectors and cranked the car over but no fuel flowed out of the injectors. Should there have been fuel flow?

Thanks,

Jitters

Last edited by Jitters; 03-14-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Saabotaged900T
Do you have spark? Apparently the fuel system doesn't run when there's no spark.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabotaged900T View Post
Do you have spark? Apparently the fuel system doesn't run when there's no spark.
Yes, I have spark. I have spark at the coil and I've pulled the plugs to verify if their getting spark as well...and they are.

Jitters

Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #18
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I Believe that there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail so that the fuel pressure can be checked. Carefully push it when the ignition key is on and fuel should come out. If not, bang on the tank. Bangin on things always makes me feel better. Use a rubber hammer cause after a while your hand will begin to hurt. Check the roll over switch after the Hall and football, and FP relay. Good Luck Jitters, don't give up............
Old 03-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg450 View Post
I Believe that there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail so that the fuel pressure can be checked. Carefully push it when the ignition key is on and fuel should come out. If not, bang on the tank. Bangin on things always makes me feel better. Use a rubber hammer cause after a while your hand will begin to hurt. Check the roll over switch after the Hall and football, and FP relay. Good Luck Jitters, don't give up............
Hey Bob,

No chance of giving up, I'm in to deep

And I've got 2 rubber mallets just waiting to be used.

I've got plenty pressure to the rail, just not getting anything from the injectors. I pulled the rail with injectors connected and cranked it over and there was no fuel flow.

Right now I'm attempting to check the ECU. Should be voltage on pin 18. Don't think I'm getting any. I checked fuse 22 and it's good. Next thing I'm assuming is that I need to see if the ground wires are okay. That's my next step.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to snatch the ECU out and take it to a friends and have him put it in his 900T to see if it's any good.

The funny thing is that when I got back from dropping my wife of at the hospital, it started up for a brief moment and died.

Just my kinda luck...

Thanks and have a great evening my friend...

Jitters

Last edited by Jitters; 03-14-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #20
Elder

Just went thru replacing a C900 fuel pump this week and a 9000 fuel pump a couple of months ago. When the smog police aren't looking get a can of carb cleaner or similar type spray fluid and spray a liberal amount into the throttle body, typically on the C900 there is a vacuum line that goes into the TB that you can use.

Try and crank it over, it will help indicate if it is fuel or spark. The 88 Ignition Amp is on the driver side of the car and fairly visible. Couple of screws/torx and it should come out. There is a voltage/ohm test to see what shape its in, but if the tach bounces, usually its good.

If it is a fuel pump, its reasonably simple if you don't snap the barb on the underside of the housing that holds the high pressure side.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in