second gear grinds - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > Car Problems? Classic 900 Only

Car Problems? Classic 900 Only If you're experiencing problems with your Classic 900, post your question in here.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
SAABeginner

second gear grinds

hello all im a newbie to this forum and still dont own a saab but have found one i would like to purchase its a 2dr 89 EFI non turbo 3 owner car. very clean and tight but the second gear syncro is gone, you can allmost shift up but not down. my question is are these trannys easy to rebuild or should i just buy a used unit and stuff it in.
i should mention that i have mechanical experiance 20 years and am not affraid to dive in and fix what needs done. im pretty sure im buying this car as its just a clean example and is what we are looking for. it will be a back up car for the 930 when its down for mods.

any help would be great.

cheers ed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Elder

Ed,

It's not too hard, and if you have done transmission work before it won't be anything new.

The best thing to do would be to find a cheap copy of the Hanes manual for the 900, about the only good thing that manual has in it is a detailed teardown of the transmission with some good photos.

The factory Saab manuals have it too, and those pop up pretty often, but the Bentley manual does not cover tearing down the gearbox.

I think syncro assemblies are still available new from a few online parts houses like www.eeuroparts.com.

If you take it apart make sure that the shim stacks on the inner driver flanges go back on the correct side, it's how the lash on the ring gear on the diff is adjusted. If you don't take the output shaft our of the pinion bearing housing you won't have to go through the re-torque procedure for that, the pinion bearing housing just unbolts from the rear of the case.

You'll better be able to tell if it needs anything else while it's apart. It might be a good idea to replace the layshaft and coutershaft needle support bearing at the same time.

I think over on the SaabRally forum someone posted up the factory transmission manual so you can get the teardown procedure. I might have a PDF of mine too if you can't find it, let me know.

That being said, you can probably get a used one for under $200 from a salvage yard or another Saab person. So if you've got free time and enjoy doing it and want to tear into the Saab it's a good way to do it. Otherwise just replacing it would be how most people do it.

Keep in mind the whole engine has to come out to separate the trans, you can't just drop it out the bottom, so you'll need a hoist.

Best,
Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You could always double clutch. Not a permanent solution, but you could at least drive the car around.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
SAABeginner

DrewP

thanks for the response this is the info i was looking for, i may just to keep the car on the road just remove said engine and tranny and replace with good used unit. then rebuild the other maybe?

question is there a newer or better tranny that is a direct swap that would be stronger as i have read a little about the short commings of these trannys.

Nate

i can double clutch it for awhile but i really like things to be right. but it is a fun little car to drive.

ill do some research and see if i can find a tranny used around here.

cheers ed
Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmtr View Post
DrewP

thanks for the response this is the info i was looking for, i may just to keep the car on the road just remove said engine and tranny and replace with good used unit. then rebuild the other maybe?

question is there a newer or better tranny that is a direct swap that would be stronger as i have read a little about the short commings of these trannys.

Nate

i can double clutch it for awhile but i really like things to be right. but it is a fun little car to drive.

ill do some research and see if i can find a tranny used around here.

cheers ed
Hey Ed,

Welcome to the forum. Looks as though we are traveling down parallel paths. I've been working on my 900 SPG for the past several months as a backup to my 930 as well.

These are fun little cars and are a blast to drive when modded. I guess I've become addicted to the boost..

Since you're familiar with driving your 930, you should have no problems with your transmission in the Saab. I'm sure you're aware that you cannot rush a 915 or G50 box.

I've had no problems to date with mine. It's currently got $190K on the odometer and I drive the Saab just like I drive the 930. I pause between shifts, and I don't do burnouts and such. Not with the stock tranny. learned that the hard way when I first got my 930.

Good luck and welcome again.

Jitters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
Hey Ed,

Welcome to the forum. Looks as though we are traveling down parallel paths. I've been working on my 900 SPG for the past several months as a backup to my 930 as well.

These are fun little cars and are a blast to drive when modded. I guess I've become addicted to the boost..

Since you're familiar with driving your 930, you should have no problems with your transmission in the Saab. I'm sure you're aware that you cannot rush a 915 or G50 box.

I've had no problems to date with mine. It's currently got $190K on the odometer and I drive the Saab just like I drive the 930. I pause between shifts, and I don't do burnouts and such. Not with the stock tranny. learned that the hard way when I first got my 930.

Good luck and welcome again.

Jitters
thanks Jitters

i do know what you mean buy not rushing a 915 or G50, shifting these are all about finese and edicate. and the saab tranny has the same remote tranny feeling as a porsche.

the car im looking at has 140k on the clock and runs smooth and quite. its not rusty and is all original paint and most of the trim is hanging on fairly well.

is a turbo retro fit as easy as on a porsche? can i run low boost on standard compression N/A engine.

ok i need to stop i havent even got the car and im looking at modding it. its in my blood to tinker with all my cars. do you get over to PELICAN on the 930 section?

cheers ed
Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
c900 Grognard
Elder

It might be worth checking that the clutch is properly bled, and that the fluid is at an adequate level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
thanks Jitters

i do know what you mean buy not rushing a 915 or G50, shifting these are all about finese and edicate. and the saab tranny has the same remote tranny feeling as a porsche.

the car im looking at has 140k on the clock and runs smooth and quite. its not rusty and is all original paint and most of the trim is hanging on fairly well.

is a turbo retro fit as easy as on a porsche? can i run low boost on standard compression N/A engine.

ok i need to stop i havent even got the car and im looking at modding it. its in my blood to tinker with all my cars. do you get over to PELICAN on the 930 section?

cheers ed
Hey Ed,

I'm pretty new to the Saab scene; however, I've come across quite a few posts regarding the N/A turbo upgrade. IIRC, you'd probably be better off doing a complete engine/tranny swap. From what I understand there are C/R issues that don't make the N/A engine a good candidate for the turbo upgrade.

There are additional parts that you would need to acquire as well, APC, ECU, Intercooler, etc.

I'm certain that when you have some time, you can search some of the previous posts to find more knowledgeable answers than what I offer.

Regarding the 930, I actually spend more time on Rennlist, 6Speedonline and PCARS, but I buy most of my parts from the Bird.

I've been following Guns 935 RSR mod for the past year and am in awe of the finished product...It one of the few that make me salivate whenever I see the car...

Again, welcome. There are a great group of guys here and they have been extremely helpful with providing help, opinions, and both solicited and unsolicited criticism.

Just gotta love'em....

You may also want to check out Saab Central as well. Most of the guys here also post over there as well.

Again, if I am doing anything against forum policy by mentioning other forums, please let me know.

Cheers,

Jitters

Last edited by Jitters; 02-16-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
It might be worth checking that the clutch is properly bled, and that the fluid is at an adequate level.
thanks jack

now that i think about it even at a complete stop the im not sure that the clutch is totaly dissengaging as it still trys to grind and the tranny should not be spinning.

i have only driven this car about 5 miles and i still dont own it yet, but i called the guy today to finalize the deal.

as i found a tranny for for 200.00 locally so for around 1700.00 and some time i should have a nice little saab

cheers ed

Last edited by akmtr; 02-16-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Jitters

i found a low milage turbo car with wreaked pass side for 600.00 running has tranny issues. the car is a 92 not sure if this is a good year swap . but i will do some research and see what i come up with.

cheers ed
Old 02-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Jitters

i found a low milage turbo car with wreaked pass side for 600.00 running has tranny issues. the car is a 92 not sure if this is a good year swap . but i will do some research and see what i come up with.

cheers ed
Good luck Ed,

Don't forget to post some pics...

Jitters

Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
SAABeginner

hey jitters here is the car i am looking at.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/1029995461.html

cheers ed
Old 02-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Nice car!
as far as swapping a newer tranny don't know if you would be able to get a much newer/stronger one in.
Then again anythings possible with money*
Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #14
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Try swapping fluid as a quick last resort.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
hey jitters here is the car i am looking at.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/1029995461.html

cheers ed
Hey Ed,

Well, it looks pretty good from the outside. If the inside is in decent shape and there are no rust issues, it looks like a pretty good deal.

I especially love the roof rack. I'd like to find one for my little buggy...

Good luck...

Jitters

Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #16
SAABeginner

well guys it happened

i found my 900 its a 1991 turbo s 3dr, its a silver blue color with blue leather, we are the 3rd owners and it is truley a rust free car from colorado. it has 153k miles pops out of reverse if you dont hold onto it. and the front bumper end caps are missing. other than that what a fun little car. i hope to learn abit here and fix a few quirks and enjoy.

the turbo makes quite abit of improvment over the normals.

cheers ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in