The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   Car Problems? 9-5 Only (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Replaced waterpump... still leaking (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=95826)

sob 09-14-2014 06:38 PM

Replaced waterpump... still leaking

Hi all,

I just spent 10 hours today attempting to replace a leaking waterpump. Lots of little issues sprung up along the way, hence the project taking up the whole day, but now it looks like the car is going to have to come apart again :angry:

I replaced the pump due to a leak at the shaft, which presumably has been cured by the new pump, but I now have a leak at the connection from the waterpump to the block.

Does anyone have any tips for seating the waterpump properly? I have a feeling one or both o-rings (on the piece connecting the pump to the block) didn't seat right. It was very difficult for me (and my jacked, weight-lifting younger brother) to press the waterpump into place against the block, and I don't think it was seated fully when I began bolting it back in. I assumed that bolting it in slowly and carefully would ensure that everything seated properly, but I guess not.

So any tips? Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

Tboy 09-14-2014 06:59 PM

I've never done that in the car, but I've done a few with the engine out. I understand it is probably cramped in there. My advice, remove everything that gets in your way to clear access. Lots of rookie mechanics like to try and dive right in to the problem, and end up spending lots of time contorting around something that would have been easily removed. Remove whatever you need to get good clear access.

You did replace the o-rings right? Do not try to reuse and goop them up.

Make sure everything is clean, and lubed, use some lube to make it slide in easier. I've even used simple green before. I typically put the connector piece in the block, then the water pump on it. Do not try to just replace the pump and leave the connector in place. It should come out, have the surfaces cleaned and then o rings replaced. Clean both the block and water pump surfaces good with a scotch brite pad and simple green. You don't want any crud hanging up that o-ring as it slides in.

Good luck

Drew in Houston 09-14-2014 07:01 PM

I use a light coat of Hylomar to dress the O-rings and gasket, haven't had a leak yet. And of course, you'll want to make sure things are seated straight...seems like you know that already though. It shouldn't take too much force to get everything together but it is a bit of a pain because there's not much space, as you know. :)

Hylomar Universal Blue Sealant - PL32