The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   Car Problems? 9-5 Only (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Rings on our 2000 9-5 Aero? Help?!? (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93114)

Calab 07-03-2014 11:45 AM

Rings on our 2000 9-5 Aero? Help?!?

We just found out from our mechanic that they think the piston rings are shot on our 2000 9-5 Aero. They are quoting $1680 in labour for an engine swap, plus the cost of a used engine. They say rebuilding would cost too much. I am suspicious that they didn't do a whole lot of diagnostics though.

Symptoms are:
- LOTS of smoke from the tailpipe
- Smoke and high pressure from the oil filler cap
- Mechanic says no cylinder compression, but I don't think that they even put a tester on it.
- Compression is almost blowing the oil filler cap off.
- P1301 error code, so I think it's cylinder #1 that's having the issues.

I don't have a garage to work in, but I might be able to get use of the father-in-laws, depending on how long it might take.

Should I even attempt to repair this myself? Can I get the #1 piston out and new rings installed without pulling the engine? Should I do all four pistons anyhow?

Money is tight right now. Writing off this car would be a pretty big hit, but so would putting a bunch of money into something we can't fix. I don't know what it would be worth to sell for parts.

So, what can I specifically test to figure out what might really be wrong? What should I be asking the mechanic to check?

soccerrplyr 07-03-2014 11:54 AM

That's too much for an engine install. A good indy shop that specializes in foreign cars should be able to swap one in for you for half that

B202nut-2.0 07-03-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soccerrplyr (Post 2017530)
That's too much for an engine install. A good indy shop that specializes in foreign cars should be able to swap one in for you for half that

Many shops today (including the indy guys) are at 120-160 per hour for labor...

This will boil down to how many hours the shop is estimating it will take them to get the engine out and replacement in.

maybe a mobile mechanic will be half that price..

that said, I looked at a 9-5 motor. doesn't seem very complicated... is this something you just wouldn't try on your own?

Calab 07-03-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B202nut-2.0 (Post 2017538)
that said, I looked at a 9-5 motor. doesn't seem very complicated... is this something you just wouldn't try on your own?

My problem is the lack of a garage. I'm going to be begging at the in-laws to see if I can pull the car apart there. Also, if I have to pull the motor, I doubt I'll be able to do the work.

Hopefully I don't pull it apart and find a bunch more junk that needs fixing.