The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   Car Problems? 9-5 Only (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Driver seat moving by itself (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92169)

newsaabguy 06-15-2014 04:32 PM

Driver seat moving by itself

My driver seat is moving all by itself. Forward, back and tilting.
I had to unplug the box under the seat for it to stop. Any ideas??

Tboy 06-15-2014 04:51 PM

Probably the switch pack, possibly the little controller underneath. This happened on my past 9-5, cause my wife left the window down and it rained. Went to the junkyard to get both and replaced them at the same time, used ones should be cheap to replace both.

newsaabguy 06-16-2014 03:17 AM

I don't think this car has gotten wet, but certainly worth looking into the switch pack. When we got the car a year or so back , the seat moved normally. Then maybe 6 months ago, it started moving like 1 inch at a time in bursts, not a smooth slide or tilt, everything was in little bumps. Now its going all by itself. Opened door yesterday to find seat going front to back, and the seat bottom tilting up, all by itself. I moved all the seat buttons, and could get it to go the direction I wanted, but soon as I let go it kept heading the way it wanted to. So I unplugged the box under the seat so I could drive it.

DrewP 06-16-2014 09:23 AM

See if one of the memory buttons is stuck down, or unplug just the memory buttons and see if it stops.

newsaabguy 06-16-2014 01:01 PM

Good idea, I didn't touch those. I only messed with the buttons that move the seat. I will give it a try. Will the seat work if I unplug the memory buttons? I don't need the memory function. But would be nice if the seat moved only when I tell it too.

seriks1 06-16-2014 02:08 PM

Seat will move normally without the memory switch.

Ninety5Aero 06-16-2014 05:43 PM

Did the switch get wet?

Tboy 06-16-2014 07:58 PM

After my wife left the window down, the seat memory no longer worked and it moved in spurts as well. It wasn't till several years later it decided to move on its own.

NickTurbo900 06-17-2014 03:07 AM

Spilled coffee or drinks on the memory switch pack is a common cause of this. You can take apart the memory switch and clean it. If the seat only moves in jerking motions, not smooth, one of the memory buttons is down.

g96nt 06-17-2014 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newsaabguy (Post 2010777)
I don't think this car has gotten wet, but certainly worth looking into the switch pack. When we got the car a year or so back , the seat moved normally. Then maybe 6 months ago, it started moving like 1 inch at a time in bursts, not a smooth slide or tilt, everything was in little bumps. Now its going all by itself. Opened door yesterday to find seat going front to back, and the seat bottom tilting up, all by itself. I moved all the seat buttons, and could get it to go the direction I wanted, but soon as I let go it kept heading the way it wanted to. So I unplugged the box under the seat so I could drive it.

This used to happen on my old 9-3.
It was the switch-pack.
it was in conjunction with a bad position sensor that caused the seat to only move in 1" incriments.

We had to just set the seat, and pull the fuse.

newsaabguy 06-24-2014 02:26 PM

my daughter reminded me that when we got the car the window track was messed up and the first few days we had it the window was half shut and it rained overnight. Forgot all about it until she said something about it. It was a couple months later the seat moves in increments of an inch or so. Now it just does what it wants to. I haven't had time to fool with it. I will unhook the memory buttons and see if it will at least function so we can move the seat as needed. Thanks for all of your help with this. Sounds like you have hit the nail on the head!

newsaabguy 06-28-2014 05:23 PM

UPDATE: I unplugged the memory switch and the seat works perfectly. It moves smooth now, not in 1 inch increments.
Thanks for everyone's input! Who would've thought this could be so simple!