My saab idle fluctuating and vibration problems. 04 aero - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #1
SAABeginner

My saab idle fluctuating and vibration problems. 04 aero

Hello.

I have a 2004 saab 9-5 Aero. only modifications are: BSR cat back, drop in filter, forged JE pistons, and balance chain removed.

For the past couple of years I have had a really annoying problem that nobody can seem to pinpoint. The symptoms are as follows

When in Drive only, never in Park, the car idles smoothly for a few seconds then begins to have fluctuating idle, this is not visible on the tachometer, however you can feel it throughout the entire car with vibration going up and down, and the lights flickering bringhter and darker. interior lights and outside( not including the HIDs)

I have been told that it could be the alternator, I have replaced it and for a while the problem was less aparanet. Then it came back. During the summer months when AC is on it is very pronounced and when you turn the AC OFF the vibrating and idle fluctuation becomes much less.

Once I had it serviced and they told me that they put a ground wire back onto the alternator and for a week or so the problem did not show, however as per usual, it came back.

One other thing is that when it is doing this vibrating and fluctuating, if I put my foot on the gas peddle slightly to increase idle bit the smallest amount, it is fixed! no more vibration. I would hate to just bump up the idle to get rid of a problem if its not that issue.

Could someone please advise? I have attached a video of what happens with the lights and the vibration is hopefully heard in the video.

Thank you

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Interesting. I would start looking for small vacuum leaks perhaps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Thank you for the input. I guess i will have to get a smoke test done at the shop to see if there are any vacuum leaks. I have done this not half a year ago and fixed accordingly.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Elder

Betcha a dollar it's your throttlebody. They do strange things when they wear out. I had one that surged but itself but only under steady state cruise conditions.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
SAABeginner

That would be really upsetting if it was the throttle body As i had bought one new a few years back already. I hope it didnt eat through another throttle body..
Old 11-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Lightbulb check valves and positive battery cable

i would immediately look at two place.

1. check your positive battery cables for damage/freying

2. check your check valves

two in the evap lines & one in the pcv system.

these will cause vac/boost leaks with out actually leaking to atmosphere, either smoke test or hand vacuum test.

I notice you haven't deleted the evap line from the bpc AND deleted the BOV control valve pos thingy. might want to look into this ("bolt mod") and clean the bpc while your there.

also if you have gotten a 3.5 fpr in the past couple years or so they are known for having poor quality control with the uprise of chinese (not naming names, or pointing fingers, as its a manufacture issue, not a distributor fault, or both, depending how you look at it)

i'd also check BOTH throttle body gaskets if your still running that black charge pipe from the factory, gasket on kobra pipe, and if your still running stock ic, just like a raditaor, the plastic endtanks just dont hold up over time.

lets not forget the blow over valve, if you push it in by hand while holding the nipple and it doesnt create a vaccuum AND hold it that could be your problem too.

after all that your lookings at sensors or electrical part, dic, maf, tb, map, baro, intake temp, Ho2s', etc etc

Happy Hunting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in