Oh No! My 9-5 Went Swimming! :o - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Oh No! My 9-5 Went Swimming! :o

I've owned my 2003 9-5 Aero Wagon MT for about 3 weeks now and it may be the end of it! A week ago we had some major rain thanks to the 3 hurricanes that just missed the islands. Long story short I was driving in heavy rain and ran into a puddle. Engine sucked up the water and stalled. I parked the car in a local park about 40 miles away from my house.. Went back a few days later got all the water out of the intake and ic/piping etc.. i pulled the plugs and turned it over.. it shot loads of water out.. I had hope all seemed to be going well.. I figured if it started i would take it to a shop and have them flush the engine. I got new plugs.. They weren't the same as the ones that were in it.. The guy at O'reilys looked at me like i was the dumbest person in the world when i tried to explain that they had to be the specific plugs (saw that on forums). I took the plugs over to the car and installed.. When i turned over the ignition it cracked about 5-6 times and then made a loud bang noise and then cranked 1-2 times more.. As soon as i heard that bang I stopped trying to start it.. Weird thing is it didn't happen when the plugs were our and i turned it over.. I do remember that i forgot to take the fuel pump fuse out before cranking it the first time so i most likely flooded it with fuel. I had to leave but I will be going back to get it towed home and then inspect further. Hopefully there isn't damage.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
Elder

Good luck. You should borrow/buy a compression tester before buying any new parts, that will tell you if there's major damage. Checking compression is no harder than changing spark plugs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
Elder

You have suffered a condition known as hydro-lock, it has probably destroyed your engine.

Buy a new engine...

Old 11-12-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

If you did hydro lock your motor do not tell your insuror that you tried to start it. Tell them you heard the bang is you went thru the water. You motor will be covered by your comprehensive.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

My friend hydrolocked his 9-5 with 200k. If you cleared all the water and didnt damage the motor, it should run. I bet that attempted start still had water in places. Trick is to use a shop vac to pump water out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
You have suffered a condition known as hydro-lock, it has probably destroyed your engine.

Buy a new engine...

My engine isn't hydro-locked if it turns over right? My problem is potential damage from when it was hydro-locked.

I made an insurance claim.. After taking their sweet time to actually come and look at the car. The adjuster seems to think the car is fine and just needs to sit and dry out lol.. I don't think he knows much about hydro-locking an engine.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscxj220 View Post
My engine isn't hydro-locked if it turns over right? My problem is potential damage from when it was hydro-locked.

I made an insurance claim.. After taking their sweet time to actually come and look at the car. The adjuster seems to think the car is fine and just needs to sit and dry out lol.. I don't think he knows much about hydro-locking an engine.
he doesnt need to anything about hydro-locking an engine.

have the car towed to a reliable mechanic and have them diagnose the problem in writting and submit that to your insurance company. they will have to replace the motor if it is covered. they arent a mechanic and cant really argue with one.

and DO NOT tell them you tried to fix yourself or start the engine. that will likely void your claim.

tell them it died driving through the puddle. or shortly after when the BANG occured
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in