Mechanic says new engine - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Mechanic says new engine

Our 95 has 150K miles. Serviced regularly by our local Saab mechanic.
Recently oil light coming on at idle.
He changed the sender, cleaned sludge and is still getting significant pressure drops.
His recommendation is new engine.

We need to know should we get a second opinion or just move on to a new car. This car has been largely unreliable. New turbo last Sept. DI cassette, etc etc.

I should say, we don't really WANT a new car or car payment and were hoping this one would go to 200K and 20 years. Should we invest more in this car or move on? Our mechanic doesn't even recommend putting any more $ into it.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by dcsw; 08-13-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: more info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
150k is not chump change, you likely got your money worth out of the car.

You are looking at real money even if you secure a 70k mile engine from a dismantler, you are still looking at $2000-3500 installed which is worth more than the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #3

Which year and model 9-5?

Sludge probably killed the turbo, so your local Saab mechanic should have dropped the oil pan THEN. (Was that recommended at the time?)

Is it smoking heavily or making noise?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Since earlier 9-5s (99-03) were prone to sludge/oil pressure problems, used 9-5 engines are a crap shoot IMO. You MAY end up with an engine that's not in much better condition than what you've got

As stated above, year and model would help us give you better advice
Old 08-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

150k is pretty good for a poorly maintained 9-5 with sludge issues. One I had only got to 125k miles before it punched a rod through the engine block.

As mentioned, 99-03 9-5's are sludge prone. If the owner followed saabs reccomended schedule the engine won't last long. On the other hand if they brought it in for service and the dealer was any good it should have received the necessary updates to keep it healthy.

My 00 aero is proof that 3-5k oil changes with quality synthetic is what these cars really need. Unfortunately saab did not spec syn oil in 9-5's that were not aeros.

My advise, move on unless you have skills to do the work yourself. If you act now, there is a good chance you can rebuild the current motor with your same parts ( block pistons etc). If you keep going it will get worse. On the other hand, you could try your best to clean it out and nurse it along and it might surprise you. I wouldn't drive it cross country though!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Elder

any signs of headgasket leak? Is it an Aero? What part of the country, maybe someone can help?
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 08-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
TSLMember

I'll buck the trend here.

If the engine otherwise runs well and quiet, I'd certainly pull the oil pan and front pulley and install a new set of main and rod bearings and an oil pump.

It'd take an afternoon under the car and not a whole lot of money.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by win_k View Post
I'll buck the trend here.

If the engine otherwise runs well and quiet, I'd certainly pull the oil pan and front pulley and install a new set of main and rod bearings and an oil pump.

It'd take an afternoon under the car and not a whole lot of money.
Bingo. If there's no noise or excessive smoke, then it would be worth it to fix...
Old 08-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

^ agreed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
new engine, oil pressure light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in